“Modern, contemporary and great value for money”

Andaz Xintiandi Shanghai
Ranked #30 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed October 28, 2012

One of the best hotel that I have stay. Located right next to Xintiandi and very easy to get around. Service at Front Desk and Housekeeping was good, but the service for breakfast seem a bit slow and not attentive. Room size is reasonable, but the room set-up and amenities is great. The only issue that we had encountered was the hand basin water drained seem a bit slow. Wifi, minibar (non-alcoholic drink) and the so call "Lounge" located right next to the Front Desk is free. Breakfast is served in 2 areas - Western and Chinese section, but the food varieties is average but sufficient. Definitely not value for money if you have to pay for it.

Room Tip: Higher floor
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,026)

Reviewed October 26, 2012

There is no doubt that the location is excellent - right near Xiantiandi. Service is quite good and responsive..... but thr rooms are another story! No carpets, very light on amenities and generally a cold, stark feeling. The worst thing is the design of the buttons for lights and the curtains. Try picking the right button even in daylight without squinting to find the labels and you deserve a medal! I'd come back again mostly because of the location.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank onep39
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed at the hotel between Oct 17 and Oct 20 in room 2006.
The hotel's location is amazing. It is easy to navigate and you can get to anything seemingly within minutes (discounting the traffic jam, of course).
Around the hotel is XinTianDi for your shopping and food, Green Massage for massages and the shopping street is just around the corner.
The room is huge too. It was a lot of space for one.
The hotel, however, can come across over-designed and not too practical.
As you walk into the lobby, there are many distractions with art here, humans there. In the room, the basin and bath tub changes color for no reason.
I found it silly that, besides the door, there are no light switches to control the light. I stumbled into the room in darkness, feeling around the room for a switch and when I called down, I was told I'd find it in a drawer, next to the bed. When you need instructions to first find your lights and to keep your room lit, it becomes too much of a hassle.
Also, the aircon seems to go a little crazy. It was at the temperature I wanted, then it gets too warm, and back to OK again.
I also wish there was a choice of pillows, as I found mine too soft.
Still, the service at the hotel makes up for a lot.
I found the staff to be excellent - they all spoke excellent English (or attempted to) and seem to know the local areas very well. They were patient, efficient and always friendly.
Now that I know how the room works, I would return to the hotel the next time I'm back in Shanghai.

Room Tip: Room 2006 faced the Vuitton boutique, so the view is not excellent. Also, when checking in, ask the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Step outside the hotel doors to where it's all happening in the French Concession area of Shanghai. The Andaz is a funky but very stylish hotel. The rooms are spacious, very comfortable and beautifully finished with wooden flooring. The view from the floor to ceiling windows is fabulous.

I love colour and the hotel hasn't been afraid to use it, even in the bathroom - wow! The bath and hand basin made from, I presume, perspex, change colour at the press of a button, from red, to blue, to white, to green - the shower area of raw stone is elegant yet functional.

The breakfast area is cosy, which appeals to me, I only have toast for brekky and they have the very best sour dough bread I've ever had in a hotel. There is also a beaut outside dining area for the Summer months. I didn't eat at any of the restaurants, but my Chinese friend told me the Chinese restaurant was outstanding.

I stole into the gorgeous coffee shop called Eclair and bought one - dreams of childhood. They were so delicious I took a box home to Hong Kong for the kids next door.

The staff were most friendly, helpful and quite efficient.

My husband was on business in Shanghai and the hotel was well located for him, and for me - it was a great start to each day wandering through the French Concession and beyond.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Cool hotel, great service, comfortable rooms, fantastic location! Loved it!
Andaz breaks down the stiffness you normally find in high-end hotels and brings a fresh and genuine approach that is most welcome! unfortunately my stay was too short and I couldn't try the restaurant but definitely will next time.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank NoParoQuieto
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

We pre-booked 5 nights at the Andaz in Shanghai, hoping to be pampered at the end of our China trip, and were not disappointed. We were initially concerned by previous reviews criticizing service level, however our experience was very different: we were greeted upon arrival by the courteous and attentive staff. The attention to detail in design and service continued throughout our stay, from efficient waitstaff to excellent concierge services, not to mention room and public space comfort and design and the great fitness and spa area. While some may feel that staff are somewhat overattentive, we felt a genuine interest in making our stay pleasant and our experience in Shanghai smooth and accessible. While hotel services are expensive in Chinese terms, they are not pricy in comparison with similarly upscale hotels elsewhere. Also, many of the services are included, so there is not the take-them-for-all-they're-worth vibe so often encountered in other establishments across China. Other reviewers have criticized the quality of complementary amenities, drinks and snacks provided, however we did not feel they were substandard. True, some were local brands, but all were of good quality. We had a lovely stay in Shanghai - thank you, Andaz!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank liluaidez
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Their underground gym is an amazing place, I'm not talking about the technogym equipment(seems this label become the Must-Have in shanghai luxury hotel), I'm talking about their unique transparent swimming pool, you feel swimming in a aquarium, like fish:) and the stff is also helpful and smeilling, after the sport, you can get free a
Green apple at the bar, an apple cost nothing, but it get good feeling.

I also tried the restaurant, with the big window, you feel sitting so close the street, sunshine comes through, feel so great.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo