“Saved by "Sid"”

Shanghai Haidilao Hot Pot (Zhangyang Road)
Ranked #27 of 17,076 Restaurants in Shanghai
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 15, 2014

When I arrived I was told there was a two hour wait. I knew this only because I am able to speak a bit more Mandarin than most of the staff is able to speak English. For me this is not an issue as it only adds to the experience. Nevertheless, two hours seemed a bit unreasonable especially(and surprising) since it was already about 2000. I was about to get on the elevator when "Sid," one of the servers grabbed me and said he would take care of me. He took me to the waiting area you have read so much about in other reviews (yes, the have board games for you to play while you wait !). He compted me a Tsingtao and said he find a table in less than 30 minutes. Sure enough it happened. Next, although it was not his service area, he "took over" as my server and helped me through the process. Of course, he was as eager to practice his English as I was my Mandarin. So on that count we both had a grand time. The food was fresh and the half-orders were more than adequate for a solo diner. For sure, the visit would have been more enjoyable with a group. However, all in all, I can only rate Hai Di Lao as average.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

I'm impressed!! Who knew you could get such a service in China!! It could be a bit difficult if you can't speak Chinese but i'm pretty sure they would be willingly to help you out.
And because the restaurant is so awesome, it can get really packed and you have to wait to get your table, while waiting they would provide you with snacks, fruits and drink for you to eat or you can even play some games they have on the table to kill the time OR you can even get your shoes clean! OR some manicure!! I mean their service is really good, the workers do speak really politely and are really very considerate! He patiently helped me out with the ordering and everything.
With the hotpot, you have to order the type of soup you want and then the veggies and the meat, then they have a sauce bar for you to have fun and creates your own sauce. There are many varieties of sauce and toppings for the sauce, which is really fun and yummy. They also have buffet cold dish and fruits table.
I'm really impressed with everything they provided, love the service and food<3 really!!

Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

was hard too find due to construction. Enter via RHS of the building 620 should be on top of door.

Had to wait a while since we came peak hour but this one is 24.7 I'm pretty sure. So go a bit later if possible.

service was top like always. must get the hai di lao noodles if you want too see the guy do some cool stuff. no english staff but menus were in English

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Not sure I would want to go here without someone who spoke mandarin (the English translation on the tablet device menus did not extend to the item descriptions) ... but otherwise quite enjoyed the meal. They try to make your wait more pleasurable with seating, snacks and games and even a nail salon. Meal itself was quite tasty, with lots of choices of items to cook and lots of dipping sauces to choose from.

1  Thank bluejay313
Reviewed January 1, 2014

The hotpot is ok, the main focus is service. The ladies can have manicure while waiting. Average spending per person is RMB 120. Must try!