“My favorite place in Shanghai”
Review of Xibo

Xibo
Ranked #56 of 17,207 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Xinjiang
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Former French Concession
Reviewed December 17, 2012

The only thing that disappoints me about Xibo is its landlord, since the building that Xibo is in on Changshu Road (between Julu and Changle Roads) is not nearly as elegant and cool as the restaurant space itself. Some friends claim the food is inauthentic, but I've been to Xinjiang twice and can happily say it is better food than any restaurant I ate at there, and features some unusual dishes from the Xibo ethnic minority. I simply love the food. Combine great food with an outdoor eating area, great music, beautiful design and reasonable prices... what is there not to like about this place?! And to top it off- they donate 25% of their profit to developmental charities in west China...

Reviewed July 24, 2012

We only ate at a half dozen restaurants in Shanghai, but this was recommended by a full-time resident. The food was excellent, and the decor stunning. I wish this were in NYC. (Unfortunately, we're not likely to get something so classy in Boston. :-)

3  Thank Werner L
Reviewed July 23, 2012

A real treat of something different than classical Chinese food
Great atmosphere and friendly, English speaking staf
Go for outside seating if available
Be prepared for some oily foods but not to spicy

2  Thank Marc D
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I have been to this establishment twice, both for events/dinners organized by others as this would not be my choice. On the plus side, the atmosphere is very nice and Western feeling. However, the bathrooms are a bit sub par considering the price of the food and drinks. Considering the food which is typically the most important thing for me in a restaurant, I was very dissatisfied. The food is slightly modified for the Western palate which would be okay if it tasted more refined, however I would say the final result was very sub-par. I understand the niche this restaurant is trying to fill (Xinjiang food in a nice atmosphere) however you need to get the food right first. If you want to check out a Xinjiang restaurant that you can bring guests to, I would check out the Silk Road Restaurant near Zhaojiabang lu station (also called Ye Li Xia Li). This places decor is nice (in an Central Asian way) and the food is much better than Xibo.

1  Thank TongBao
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Having been to the Xinjiang and travelled the Silk road before, I was a bit disappointed by the moderated version of Xinjiangnese food served. It just didn't taste like "the real thing" and was definitely catering to western palette.

2  Thank Jil33n