“I'm in Heaven!”

Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Yunnan
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Bund
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Lost Heavan could possibly be my most favourite restaurant in Shanghai. I'm not sure of the authenticity of the food but I love the way the food has been prepared. Finely prepared, not a single dish is a chunk of meat or a bunch of vegetables quickly put together! Taste is well-balanced. Had the eggplant n tofu cold dish and the wild vegetable pancake for starters. I like the roast pork in banana leaf as it is a total surprise from what is expected of roast pork. As I said no chunks of meat but finely minced pork marinated with spice n herbs n roasted in banana leaf! Yums!

Decor is pleasant - a little too dark for the light challenged although there is stragically placed spotlight over every table! It would be strange to say this but a visit is not complete without a visit to the toilet! Go discover the interesting twist! (Don't worry, no indecent proposal involved, just good clean fun!)

I must say though, that i enjoy the cosiness of the Gaoyu Lu restaurant better than the one at the Bund. But Lost Heaven is a choice for me whenever I return to Shanghai!

1  Thank Cikgu
Write a ReviewReviews (1,635)

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Great environment, service and food! A large restaurant which can be a little noisy Lost Heaven is always the place we want to go to for that end of week business dinner and drinks. Well worth a visit, decor is incredible (check out the toilets and wash basins!)

1  Thank Riverwine
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Friends took me to Lost Heaven for a final Chinese meal of a visit to Shanghai and I was not disappointed. The interior is very impressive, with beautiful décor and moody lighting, and each place setting was capped with an interesting tribal-looking copper thingamajig that we played with for a bit, conjecturing as to its purpose (our leading theories--it's a funnel or an ear-horn). This is usually a sign to me that the restaurateur have invested in style at the expense of substance, but this was not to be the case. The menu is extensive, with many dishes illustrated to help with those unfamiliar with Yunnan cuisine (it's also bilingual, in Chinese and English). We ordered a rather substantial meal, with a wide range of items, and not a single one was disappointing. Of particular interest was the Burmese tea-leaf salad, one of the classics of Burmese cuisine that I was trepidatious about ordering here, but which turned out to be a very credible rendition. Also excellent were the prawns with chilli sauce, with very large prawns (around 10 in our order) with a wonderful sauce that went very well on rice. Chicken with seven spices was another hit, as was the steamed minced pork in banana leaf. Even the dessert--shaved ice with tropical fruit--was better than expected. They also have a very good wine list, and we found a nice Australian Chardonnay suited the flavours of the meal very well. Definitely recommended.

1  Thank James G
Reviewed June 10, 2013

There is no rating between average and very good, this one just falls into the average category but I am sure many will feel it is very good and it is worth a visit for Yunnan food. Maybe evenings are better than lunches.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I am a little lost on what to write about - frankly a lot to write about!
The decor hits you as soon as you enter, exotic, oriental but with a touch of funk. Possibly its the music which borders on lounge and trance. You wait for your table which you definitely Needed to have booked going by the hall full of odd tables all full. The wait is not so bad because you're in a lounge when the decor mesmerizes and the music drugs you .
The staff at the lounge could do with some English and bar tending lessons because mistakes do happen - J and B can easily turn into Jim Beam and a Bloody Mary may not be bloody. When you do descend for your meal, the staff is very quick, professional and honest. The food is good and satisfying. We have been there many times and it has never been disappointing. Oh you must try and use the loos- am not telling , let that be a surprise!