“Generally 'OK' ”

Mingtown Nanjing Road Youth Hostel
KL
“Generally 'OK' ”
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

It's located nearby the tourist spots .. Therefore, you don't have to travel far . However the internet connection in the room wasn't stable and strong. Some of the rooms are a bit run down and room 323 got some kind if smell . I'll suggest strongly to do a bit of renovation for the rooms .
The staffs are very helpful with providing info on the tourist spots.

Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed January 14, 2014

The staffs here are very good at English and also very helpful. They helped me a lot with my little Chinese skill. Furthermore, the location here is just way too perfect. You can walk to Nanjing lu in 5 minutes, this hostel's surronding is fulfilled with many restaurants and street foods as well. There is a convenient store next to the hostel. From Metro, you can walk to here in less than 5 minutes. Rooms are clean as well.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ploypailin L
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 31, 2013

The hostel is just 5 minutes walk away from East Nanjing metro station. There are shopping and food right outside the hostel, really convenient!

I stayed one night in a female dorm and two nights in a private room. Dorm is simple with lockable cupboards to store your stuff, there is a hairdryer at the shared bathroom. Went during the winter and the other roommates had the windows closed and the heater switched on to a really high temperature. I almost "suffocated" as there was no proper ventilation.

Private room was really spacious and comfortably warm I did not want to get out. Wifi signal is a bit cranky depending on your room location.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank fphew
SAN
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Quiet room, hot shower, easy walk to subway and E Nanjing pedestrian area. Elevator to the 4th floor. Honestly we had never stayed in a hostel in our lives, but this one came highly recommended from a trusted friend, so we said what the heck. If it's really bad, we'll walk out & chalk it up to learning.

BUT it was really good. OK, it's a hostel, but we had a clean room, with good beds (I like firm), and we slept well. Our experience was so good we tried to book it again for our next 2 trips to Shanghai, but they are already booked on our dates.

We appreciated having the ability to control our individual ac/heating unit. The desk sold water and sodas for reasonable prices. They also sold a Shanghai map that proved v valuable. The wifi worked IN our room, so we were well connected. Even when we dined at the next door restaurant, we could still log into the hostel wifi. Nice.

Bottom line, it's a hostel. Not a luxury hotel. I don't understand several of the reviews expecting some sort of a 5-star concierge experience. The staff was completely responsive and polite to us in all respects, but we hired a private guide (Lisa) to intro us to Shanghai. The desk staff is not well equipped to hold your hand in telling you where to go. If you need someone to help you figure out how to get around, where to eat or shop, this is likely not the place for you. BUT if you want a clean room and good night's sleep in the heart of the action, you can't beat it for the value.

My only advice, book early or be lucky. This place is full of those of us wanting to come back. Enjoy....

Room Tip: Our room was on the 4th floor and had double pane windows. No noise issues. Don't know if every...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
wiltshire
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Very clean
Good rooms (we had a delux) but it was a little dark
Comfy bedded and coffee in room
Small bar
Didn't try food as we could see the kitchen from reception and it put us off especially the cat!
Good location
Our only gripe was the lack of knowledge by the staff. We wanted a map and had to buy one of theirs. They didn't tell us that we could get a better one free from the information kiosk on Nanjing road!
We wanted to get to the yellow mountains for a few days and we had to go and find out all the details for ourselves as the didn't know.
One really helpful young man did book our train tickets for us once we knew what we wanted but getting the information was hard.
They did have an old battered copy of lonely planet which was more helpful than they were!

• Stayed November 2013
Malaysia
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Booked 2 rooms in November for two nights. The location is quite good, being next to the popular Nanjing Walking Street. Metro (Line 2, West Nanjing Road) is about 5 minutes walking distance, and the room rate is quite cheap, since generally hotels in Shanghai is very expensive.

There are plenty of restaurants next to this hostel. In the evening, there are hawker stalls just across the street selling all sorts of local street foods.

The room is clean, so as the bed and towers. However since it's a hostel rather than hotel, there's no amenities in the room. There are shampoos and soaps for sale at the lobby though. The room has TV and aircond. Wifi is also accessible on the 3rd floor where my room was, but I couldn't get any successful connection on both my iPad and S4.

The hostel has two washing machines and a dryer. We didn't use any of those though.

There is a lift in this hostel, but it's only operational until 11pm. One night I found it to be switched off even at 10pm. The reason given was to reduce noise pollution at night, which I think is BS. Obviously there are other reasons they don't want us to know.

The staff do not smile. They do not greet us and they do not show any tiny bit of enthusiasm. When I asked about some information on dining at the Oriental Pearl Tower, the female staff just said they do not provide such service and asked me to book online. She could have politely told me that I can purchase the dining ticket at the base on the tower, or give me the website address where I can make my booking.

And it seems this is the typical attitude across all the staff. On the day we checked out, we decided to leave our luggage in the hostel since our flight was at midnight. I expected the staff to tag the luggage for us and bring our luggage to the storage room, but I was wrong. I was simply given tags to tag luggage myself. And I was asked to bring the luggage into the storage room. When I collected my luggage later in the evening, I was again asked to take out the luggage from the storage room myself. My luggage could have been taken by someone else since they never do any verification.

This is not the first time staying in YHA China Hostel. The service in this hostel was significantly under par. IMHO, being a hostel doesn't mean zero service. In contrast, the YHA China in Hangzhou offers much better service. They book show tickets for their guest at cheaper rate. That's another review.

If service is none of your concern, then I would recommend this hostel for budget travelers.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kelvinyam
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed November 16, 2013

You would think that with the abundance of Western tourists in Shanghai and many cheap sleeping options available, Nanjing Road YH would be more customer service oriented, but you would be wrong. We arrived with another couple of friends after we booked in advance by phone a double room for us for five nights and two dorm beds for them for one night. They were overbooked, so we were offered a 4 bed dorm room for a night, with no discount. The rude young man at the desk claimed to be the manager (obviously a lie) and refused to be helpful or even polite about the mistake. After several times raising our voices, he conceded to "allow" us a 10 Yuan discount for the night. How kind. Being after a 15 hour night train ride, we took it. We were given a room that made a dungeon look spacious, with a single "window" facing the interior common room. The next night we were moved into a double room, normal sized and moderately clean, but with an overpowering smell of incense. Later we discovered that the incense was there to cover up the smell of sewage emanating from the bathroom. The toilet was backed up and stayed that way for the duration of our stay, despite us requesting it be fixed 3 times. add to all this uncaring staff, terrible or non existent WiFi, thin walls, and a clothes drier that takes 9 Yuan to power but does nothing but leaving your clothes sopping wet, this place is a disaster. Only good thing is the good location and renovated space, but you are best off spending your money elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple