“Small and different”

Pure and Whole (Yanping Road)
Ranked #114 of 17,048 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Jing'an
Description: Pure and Whole is a super-healthy vegetarian restaurant serving up delicious and nutritious salads, wraps, veggie burgers, pastas, curries and more, with an extensive line of healthy drinks. Pure and Whole food fuels you, heals you, makes you look and feel awesome. Favorites include the Arabian Wrap, Pure and Whole Jungle Salad, the Awesome Curry and don't forget Ecstasy Balls for dessert. Serving you in three locations; in Puxi at 98 Yanping Road near Xinzha Road, Shanghai Centre on West Nanjing Road next to the Portman Ritz Carlton and in Pudong at Kerry Parkside at Huamu Road and Fangdian Road.
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This restaurant has only 4 tables - so you better book before heading down. The menu, the wooden cutlery, the infamous chocolate balls for dessert ... it was all good. The small stack of eclectic books in the corner gives you something to browse while you wait - not that the wait was long. Tables are close-by, but comfortable. Menu is wide enough for a good veggie meal - with enough to keep the kids satisfied as well.

There are newer reviews for Pure and Whole (Yanping Road)

Reviewed July 15, 2013

As a vegetarian, it is difficult to find restaurants in Shanghai that actually understand how to make a vegetarian meal. Vegan meals are almost unheard of. Kush is a dream come true. The food is fresh, well-sourced and delicious! The menu is easy to read in English and Chinese, with great information about the nutritional benefits of each ingredient. They have a huge variety of meals, appetizers, drinks, etc. It's a little pricey, but well worth it. $300 RMB dinner for two with no drinks. MUST MAKE A RESERVATION - especially on weekend evenings. Call early in the day. The place is very small. We have eaten there 4 times and had something different each time and never been disappointed. My partner is a confirmed carnivore and not to comfortable a places that cater to vegetarians. He has enjoyed every meal at Kush. Sometimes the service is a little slow, but always worth the wait!

RichRothman, Owner at Pure and Whole (Yanping Road), responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Hi Maggiemuth,

Thanks so much for your kind comments. Please stay tuned as we are changing much of the menu soon....We are launching many new items at the end of August and we hope to continue delighting you and the many other fans that enjoy Kush.

Yours in Health- Rich Rothman

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Great-tasting spicy tofu burger, which I chose because it had the highest amount of protein. It comes with a nice green sauce and a small side salad with a light oil & vinegar dressing on top. I really did enjoy the burger, but 65rmb for just 33grams of protein, I don't think I will go back - I'll need two of them to satiate my hunger/workout requirements.

2  Thank vagabond_for_life
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The waitress had no clue what we ordered. She clearly didn't know the menu and even though I asked/confirmed with her in Chinese whether or not she understood our order, she characteristically nodded yes, smiled and scurried off, obviously too afraid to admit she didn't understand.

I got my entree before the salad we ordered to share. I sat politely, staring and not eating despite my client's request for me to start first. The salad came a few minutes later so we were able to start. My client's pasta came, but with the wrong noodles - clearly the waitress didn't understand the order. It was an almost comical scene as the waitress a few waiters and the cashier were discussing the order out loud and trying to figure out what went wrong. At least they were trying and the manager on duty came over to apologize, take the wrong pasta and offer to replace it with a new correct one. Luckily we had business to discuss and I had a cold falafel, so waiting another 7-8 minutes wasn't such a big deal.

The match stick pasta was excellent. The salad was healthy and tasty but still missing something - I'm not sure what. The falafel was a bit bland and didn't really taste of falafel, but more like a garbanzo mush and definitely lacked the crunchy crust and texture of falafel balls.

RichRothman, Owner at Pure and Whole (Yanping Road), responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Hi Myoo.... A big apology for the service issue you experienced. I can understand your frustration, 100%. We are hard at work on training our staff to ensure great service where our guests feel well taken care of, every order is accurate, served in a timely manner, and your experience is superb, from start to finish. We missed with you and your client and again, I am sorry about that.

I am glad you liked the food, despite the service. On the falafel, we do not deep fry which might account for the lack of a crispy texture you may be used to with traditional deep fried falafel. We want to keep them as healthy as possible!

Thank you for sharing your comments as they help us to make everything better the next time.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I dined at Kush on Yanping Lu and found the food to be excellent. The green goddess soup and lentil burger are delicious. The service is great too, very well-trained and friendly. The space is small but pleasing with a woody, minimalist decor. Will keep coming back for sure!

RichRothman, Owner at Pure and Whole (Yanping Road), responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review us. You certainly picked a great combo! We have been listening to all customer feedback and just significantly improved the burgers with a newly formulated and wholesome whole wheat bun with lots of seeds and grains. Again, thanks and hope to serve you again soon.