“One of must eat places”

Kervan Orient Express
Ranked #384 of 17,076 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: People’s Square
Description: About Kervan Orient Express and ServicesThe popularity of Kervan Orient Express Cuisine is due to the quality of the food, affordable prices and the generosity of its owners. Our menu has grown to include more vegetarian and sea food dishes. Main dishes are served on a heap of buttery rice with grilled tomatoes, peppers and onions. Tasty Mezze and salads are ideal for lunch as is the hearty lentil soup. Kervan Orient Express also serves more conventional fare, like a sparkling array of dips and spreads with puffy bread, and the usual chops and kebabs. The service is so pleasant, you will want to linger over desserts such as baklava or milk pudding, chocolate cake and strong Turkish coffee. Our ambitious menu offers a Grand Bazaar's worth of Turkey's culinary riches, from the our signature lahmacun (pita pizzas) and pide (stuffed breads) to an enormous array of meze, appetizers hot and cold. Still hungry? Explore a wealth of kebabs, a luxury of lamb and surplus of seafood dishes like yellow fish. We offer great food, great service and very reasonable prices. Delivery Service offered. Private Room is available. And you can consider Kervan Orient Express cuisine for your next catering event as well.
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Every time we are in Shanghai we come to restaurant at least once. Excellent food: good quality good service and all very tasty.

1  Thank windmill777

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Even if China is known for so many fake markets and fake items, it is surprisingly refreshing to find a GENUINE Turkish restaurant in the touristic/shopping area around Nanjing East road.
Coming in from the people's park on a cold afternoon, looking for somewhere to lunch, my eyes caught the blue sign above Kervan's door showing HALAL food.
Going in, the atmosphere, decor, music and the friendly Chinese staff immediately warmed up my mood.
And, upon tasting the food, my thoughts took me immediately back to Istanbul. the food is WONDERFUL, well-presented and is a genuine Turkish cuisine. I even got to enjoy Turkish tea and dessert specialties. of course, i came back again for dinner and on the next day as well. Live music plays during weekend nights.
More than anything, despite a bill being a bit on the high side as opposed to other restaurants in Shanghai, eating at Kervan is more than a food joint. it is a wholesome experience, guaranteed to transport you to the shores of the Bosphorous for a memorable meal in a setting and atmosphere that, for the time of a meal, will make you think you are in Turkey.
Great job, Kervan!

1  Thank Mohammad J
Reviewed January 30, 2014

My son discovered this place with his friends and enjoyed an excellent and very affordable set luncheon. When we went in the evening the menu was different and slightly more expensive but still good value. I ordered a bottle of house wine which was pricey -- but wine is expensive in China, so that not really a moan. I'll stick to beer next time.

Surroundings and service are very good and the owner seems to take a genuine interest in his customers.

We ordered the (vegetarian) meze (highly recommended) and a yoghourtlu kebab: easily enough for two.

I love Chinese food, but every once in a while one needs a complete change that isn't the ghastly "international cuisine" of hotels, etc.. Here it is. 9.7 out of 10!

1  Thank Ian G
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

I ate there last week and I need to say there was nothing really good!
I mean the food was ok, but the service sucks big time. The waiters are always on the phone and they will give u no attention at all. I would say if u near by and u look just for quick bite then it's ok. But nothing more

Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

This is our favourite lunch place in Shanghai downtown. A really good restaurant if you want something else than Chinese kitchen. We recommend the set with a soup, salad, main dish and drink.

1  Thank Steffen B