“Delish crab bao!!”

ShangHai Jia Jia Tangbao (HuaiHai)
Cuisines: Chinese
Neighborhood: People’s Square
Neighborhood: People’s Square
Melbourne, Australia
“Delish crab bao!!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is the recommendation from our hotel. We came just before 12 and we got seats straight away. The place is pretty clean with pretty lame decor. I didn't expect much of it so it wasn't that surprising. We ordered pork and crab xia long bao plus chicken as well as sliced egg and seaweed soup. When it came ... Oh boy!!! What a delicious one! The bao just melted in your mouth and burst its juice with the right amount. The bao skin is thin enough though isn't as thin as ding tai fung but it tastes so much better.
So when you order you need to order soup as well. Only 2 available either the blood soup or seaweed. I'm not a fan of blood soup so I didn't order one, though most of the local that came ordered the blood soup so I gather it was the favorite one.
Price was not an issue as we only spent 130 RMB for the 2 of us. When our food came the place was jam packed with people waiting next to your table gawking at you to chow down your meal ASAP. If you like spicy go easy on the chili sauce first, I do love chili but damn I wish I didn't put too much as it burns my lips!

Oakland, California
“delicious tang bao”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

good price, great taste. maybe the best you can find.especially the one with crab.

Visited May 2012
Los Angeles
“Why would anyone recommend this place?”
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Boy oh boy. How can anyone recommend this place and state this is the best place in shanghai for xiao long bao? I went to a branch on Xizang road and Ninhai east road. I've ordered the regular xiao long and a crab mix xiao long. Both were extremely salty. The meat and the crab filing wasn't fresh. I would recommend the Nanxiang steam bread shop on the 2nd or 3rd floor (very expensive).

• Visited July 2011