“Impressive wine list but not its food” 3 of 5 bubbles

Madison
Ranked #1,653 of 16,842 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Former French Concession
Description: Madison restaurant was conceived with a very simple mantra in mind. Incredible New American cuisine coupled with pro-active sourcing, a diverse and dynamic wine list, and five star service without pretension.
Hong Kong, China
“Impressive wine list but not its food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

Limited choices in lunch menu, while the wine menu was very impressive. Food was average without garnish. The signature dish of duck oil fries was absolutely not value for money.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Shanghai
“Delicious every single time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

I've been coming to Madison since it first opened several years ago, and it is hands down my favorite place for brunch in Shanghai. I've never had anything but excellent service from a very thoughtful wait staff - it's actually one of the few places in town I feel obliged to tip at, just because they always do such an excellent job. Must trys are the passionfruit soda (go ginger soda if you're hungover), BLT, scrambled eggs on a puff pastry, cinnamon bun, sausage with ground mustard... I could go on, but let me just say save room for dessert. The peanut butter & jelly sundae is a taste of childhood. And unlike other restaurants in Shanghai, the brunch menu is all a la carte, so you've got free range on the menu - but even with that freedom, the price is still very reasonable. If you're not drinking, you can leave very full with a bill well under RMB 150/person. Make sure you reserve a couple days in advance though - they book up quickly.

“Family Brunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

We had heard of Madison by recommendation for both Lunch and Brunch plus the reviews and awards. The setting we all commented up on and enjoyed, the whitewash brick and exposed industrial HVAC looks works for us, The bar and setting are open and the music modern but not intrusive. My Blood Mary was good and between us we ordered across the menu including Eggs, Steak, Pancakes, Prawn Burger, we all enjoyed the food however found some our choices slightly greasy. The service was acceptable but as one award was specifically for service in 2012 I expected better. Rounding off with desert, there was consensus on the ice cream and sundae that both were excellent.
We will go back for dinner and see how the menu, food and experience fare in the evening.

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
“Amazingly creative food without the creative price tag.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Having read other reviews on the "strange setting", I agree that I also thought that the cab driver had dropped me off at the wrong location...however, after crossing the street and walking next to the Howard Johnson's hotel, you do eventually arrive at Madison. While the location was not what I had expected, my dining experience exceeded my expectations. My experience at Madison was a very good one. In a city where being a single business traveler can sometimes mean being stuck at a less desirable table, I was completely welcomed by Garrett, Austin Hu's cousin as he sat me at a great table in the center of the "elegant" dining room. There are two rooms at Madison, one elegant and the other still very modern but with a more casual feel. I began my culinary adventure with a cocktail, the "M's Chardonnay". Being a huge fan of Elderflower liquor, this drink completely fulfilled my expectations. Mixed with gin, it was amazing!
Before my appetizer arrived, the server brought over a bowl of Asparagus soup. As I began to explain that I hadnt ordered this, she told me that it was on the house tonight. Wow - how cool was that..? It was also delicious - not a cream of asparagus as I was used to in the US but more of a warm puree. For my appetizer, I selected the Candied Pork Belly as this had been mentioned in a review that I had read and was just as delicious as I had hoped it would be. My entree of Ricotta pasta with walnuts, pumpkin and Himalayan truffles was also outstanding. I passed on dessert and my bill was $58. I thought that for the creativity of the food and atmosphere, that this was a very reasonable price for dinner in one of the most expensive cities in the world. I visit Shanghai every 4 months and have tried many different restaurants in this city. Austin Hu, the owner of this establishment has done a great job providing quality, creativiely prepared food in an ambient, fun setting. I will be back for sure !!

Shanghai
“Gorgeous food in a 'strange' location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Went here with my husband for an evening meal on a Friday night. We ate in the more formal dining room aposed to the relaxed bar area. The menu to me was not so 'American'. I would describe it as more Italian or French. Quite 'fancy' with dishes with not so clear descriptions.was slightly disappointed with the starters but the mains sounded lovely. HAd to have an interpretation from the lovely French waitress. We both ordered a pasta dish and a side of mushrooms. The food was gorgeous. Could not fault the taste or the presentation. Price was acceptable- 138-300rmb for a main. I had a chocolate mousse for dessert with raspberries and home made marshmallow. This was yummy if not rather rich. Service was also excellent. Waiters were very knowledgeable and eager to help. I wish the menu had simpler dishes that were more 'American'. I am interested in the brunch they offer at weekends. The menu looks lovely. The location is not so lovely. The restaurant has huge windows over looking a parking lot! Is sold as an attic conversion but is on the ground floor??! Wen we arrived we struggled to find the restaurant as it has no signage at all. Will go back fr brunch. Lovely place to go with a partner or with a group. Not so child friendly in the evening. Worth a visit.

• Visited March 2013