“Sofas @ Outside”

Neighborhood: Xintiandi
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Sofas @ Outside”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

Not the best spot in town, but a good place to meet and greet friends, food is pretty good, better places to visit and go. Especially during summertime, there are sofas at outside and the view over Shanghai is just great.

Visited August 2012

Shanghai, China
“I really want to like it but it really sucks!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Fourth trip there - NO MORE. First time the food was awful - small serving sizes and very overpriced. The second time, there was only ONE anchovie on my anchovie pizza - sent it back and it came back with ONE anchovie on the pizza, simply moved to a new location. I said, "never again!" Third time, friends took me and the food was so bad that we left and ate elsewhere...Tonight, forth time (gift certificates....) - seafood pilaf - ONE tiny shrimp, three tiny squid, a couple crapy clams and an EMPTY mussel shell all for only 198 RMB!!!! I know some people love this place but I am sure they have no taste buds at all...Sorry, this place needs a complete overhaul. Seriously, not even a gift will get me back in this &^#$# hole...

• Visited November 2012
Shanghai, China
“Fat Olive at Sinan Mansions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

First of all, let me clarify that I am rating the Fate Olive Restaurant at Sinan Mansions. There seems to be two different Fat Olives Restaurants in Shanghai - one in Pudong, one in Puxi at the Sinan Mansions. Apparently, both under the same management.
This was my second time and I must say, not as good as the first time. The fact that the restaurant was very quiet on a Saturday night, shows that the must have had some ``deterioration of performance`` . We have had some Mezza including hummus and tzatziki dips, pickled octopus in red wine vinegar and clams with white wine sauce as starters. Overall quite good, except every dish was with a lot of rosemary, which in my opinion is not always appropriate.
My wife had the Greek seafood pilaf, maybe she should have not expected a Spanish Paella and therefore was slightly disappointed at is was not crusty as ordered. However, my ``24 hours slow roasted leg of lamb`` was very good and up to my expectations.
Overall, service was good and attentive, waitress even picked up my napkin which I dropped and brought me a fresh one - not very common in China!

• Visited November 2012
“A Nice Change”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I've been to The Fat Olive in Jinqaio several times now, and I've been thoroughly pleased every time.

The food is very tasty, with unusual, bold flavors. Some of the pairings of ingredients seem downright odd, but they work! It's not your standard Greek fare (not that there's anything wrong with that!) but it is sort of rustic (yes, rustic food) and Mediterranean.

I prefer going with a group of people, so we can all order something different and nosh on a little bit of everything. I especially love the chickpea and eggplant dips, both served with warm pita bread. Their crusty, flat-bread pizza is delicious, and the fried calamari was very good. On my last visit we had a triple-chocolate pie-thing for dessert (can't remember its exact name) which was to die for! Overall, I've been very pleased with their wine selection, and the only cocktail I tried was also perfectly done.

The decor is pleasing and the atmosphere is very nice, with quite decent music playing and not a huge or noisy crowd. The lighting at night makes it quite warm-looking and romantic. It's a lovely place to sit on the outside deck in the afternoon sunshine and enjoy cocktails and conversation -- there's no real view other than the football field next door, but it's still very pleasant. The staff is friendly and attentive. The location is great, and it's easy to get to. Prices are quite reasonable.

All in all, it's a great place for lunch, drinks, or dinner. I definitely recommend!

• Visited October 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

We ordered food from the JinQiao Fat Olive through Sherpas. The portions were tiny, especially compared to the prices. For example, we ordered the eggplant dip. We received, at most, 1/4 a cup of dip with about 4 small triangles of pita. We also ordered the souvlaki. We were sent 3 small skewers of lamb with 4 small triangles of pita! The kid's chicken schnitzel was a small chicken breast covered in tomato sauce; the best part of the KID's chicken schnitzel was that there was a bone in it! It wouldn't be a big deal if it were in an adult portion, but it's so important to be sure to debone children's meals. All in all, we will NOT be going here and will let our friends know that this restaurant isn't worth their time or money.

• Visited October 2012