“Excellent Foot Massages for Weary Travellers”

Dragonfly Therapeutic Retreat (Shanghai Nanchang Road)
Ranked #18 of 74 Spas & Wellness in Shanghai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Come and relax with us nearby the IAPM on Huaihai Road, Shanghai! Dragonfly is China's leading chain of contemporary urban retreats offering relaxing massage and beauty services to busy expatriates, weary travelers, and sophisticated local customers. Dragonfly retreats are oases of calm that feature fusion Asian decor, dim lighting, tranquil sounds, wonderful fragrances and a romantic ambience second to none. Stylish places to be pampered alone, with a partner or a friend.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Saint Charles, Illinois
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
“Excellent Foot Massages for Weary Travellers”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Our non-stop touring in and around Shanghai had my feet just begging for a little pampering. We stopped in without an appointment and only had to wait a few minutes. The environment is cozy and warm and the room is dark and tranquil. First they soak your feet in a tub of warm water then they lean your chair back while they give you a neck and shoulder massage. Sooooo nice after all the walking we had done! Then they gave me a one hour foot massage. This sounds like a long time just for feet but I could have stayed another hour as it was so wonderful. Price was half or less of what it would have cost in the U.S.

I can't speak to their full body massages but if your feet need attention I recommend a stop here.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank AngieB253
DragonflyRetreats, Owner at Dragonfly Therapeutic Retreat (Shanghai Nanchang Road), responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Dear Angie,

Thank you for sharing your relaxing experience. Although we offer a full range of beauty services now we started 10 years ago just with massage, and our house specialty has always been our Oriental Foot Massage. We are very proud of the pampering service we provide that not only feels good - but IS good for you. We would love it if you could return to China and try it again.

Best wishes for the holidays,

Randal

Copenhagen, Denmark
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“HEAVENLY - did not want to leave!!!!”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

A colleague convinced me to go and try the traditional foot massage, after a long day with meetings, we entered the place at 21:30 pm and were ushered into a dark room with reclining chairs..... The girl put a nice warm towel on my stomach, my feet in a bucket of nice warm water and then started to massage my shoulders.... I woke up 90 minutes later when she gently woke me up and said time was up.... OMG, what an experience.... I hoped to get another chance to go for one more foot treatment before leaving Shanghai, but Alas, this was not possible due to a tight schedule.... I recomment this for anybody who visits China, find a Dragonfly Therapeutic Retreat and go trat yourself.
Worth every single dollar!!!!

Visited September 2013
2 Thank genocks
DragonflyRetreats, Owner at Dragonfly Therapeutic Retreat (Shanghai Nanchang Road), responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Genocks,

I am really delighted to hear that you enjoyed your first Dragonfly foot massage. I am not sure if this was your first foot massage ever - or just your first with us, but I want to tell you that this is our signature treatment and it was what made me personally fall in love with Dragonfly ten years ago. We are very proud of the experience we can give our customers and I am delighted to see that ten years later we are still continuing to "wow" our first time customers.

Randal
Germany
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“What a pleasure”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I went there today cause i got sick, so in first i wanted to have a relaxing hour to calm down.
And yes, it worked very well! I almost fell asleep!
I had the oriental foot massage and it was really a pleasure! My masseuse did a very good job!

Visited July 2013
DragonflyRetreats, Owner at Dragonfly Therapeutic Retreat (Shanghai Nanchang Road), responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear ForAHonestReview,

We're glad you chose Dragonfly as a place to relax and calm down. We've designed our retreats to be places where you can come in relax and let go of outside worries in a serene environment. Oriental Foot Massage is one of our signature treatments; we're glad you liked it!

We hope to see you back at Dragonfly soon!
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Extremely disappointed with the service, then argument about it.”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

On our way to Harbin for our wedding ceremony, we stopped in Shanghai for several things, one of which was a full service manicure, pedicure and whatever else girls do behind those doors. While I realized Dragonfly is one of the more expensive spas, we were only in town for a few days and wanted everything to be perfect. I didn't think we'd have much chance for a quality French manicure in Harbin so we splashed for the certainty.
Imagine my dismay when my beautiful bride comes out, all shiny and new, to show me her nails, only to spot a big flaw. Something has got to be unwell in the world if I am finding manicure flaws. After some apologies and touch ups, the receptionist starts telling us there is nothing wrong with them. By now its getting to argument level and my wife is all upset. This was the biggest disappointment for me, because the idea was to spoil her a little. If I wanted her upset, I could have done that myself and saved the cash.
I can say for certain that the nail salon in Sanlitun on Beijing was far, far superior in terms of service and result. Don't buy the hype and the fancy wooden sign. Both times we have used Dragonfly, we have been very disappointed. We will not use them again.

Visited April 2013
DragonflyRetreats, Owner at Dragonfly Therapeutic Retreat (Shanghai Nanchang Road), responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Derui,

We are very sorry for your unsatisfactory experience at our retreat just before your wedding. It was well below our standard and there is no excuse for a job not well done. We want you to share special moments with us at Dragonfly. Our receptionist did not handle the situation well at all and so we apologize again. We will look into this so that it does not happen again in the future.
Shanghai, China
“Xinle Road, very disappointing: dirty rooms and untrained staff.”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

A Very disappointing Dragonfly experience. Xinle Road Dragonfly is unprofessional and we experienced untrained staff. The room was dirty, oil all over the floor, a very cold room and had a noisy air vent in the corner. The door did not shut properly so was not private and the curtain did not cover the window and exposed me while i was changing.

Neither of us had a relaxing massage due to noise and lack of cleanliness in the room and the person who massaged me was called 'Sarah'. She was obviously not trained and it was very painful. She did not massage ANY of my pressure points and i did not feel a 'sense of overall wellbeing' as described in the spa menu. since the massage 3 hours ago I have had continuous numbness and pins and needles in my right arm.

We told the receptionist when We left but as the reception area was full of clients we didn't want to embarrass anyone. We will be returning on Monday to speak to the manager for a full refund.

We will not return to Xinle Lu as it is NOT a place for a relaxing 'Spa' massage and felt more like a massage parlour with the poor quality rooms and poor quality massage. We will continue going to subconscious day spa which has a more professional and relaxing approach where a ¥300 massage is worth every Kuai!

What has happened to the dragonfly spa we used to know?

Visited April 2013
RandalEastman, Owner at Dragonfly Therapeutic Retreat (Shanghai Nanchang Road), responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear Kerry,

I would like to sincerely apologize for what was an underwhelming experience. We are going to take steps to make sure this does not happen again.

We will immediately reexamine the therapist and if necessary bring her back to headquarters for intensive retraining. We do not want any customer to leave Dragonfly unsatisfied with the quality of her massage treatment as this is the cornerstone of our service offering.

I am truly sorry that you found the conditions in the room unsatisfactory. This too we will look into immediately because we pride ourselves on setting high standards. I can tell you that we are preparing shortly to give Xinle retreat a face lift to spruce it up - but this is no excuse at all for letting standards to fall now.

Your message was a very strong one and I would like you to know that we have taken each point seriously and will work hard to improve so that this does not happen again.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.