“Excellent tours and service!”

Newman Tours-Day Tour
Book In Advance
More Info
$43.37*
and up
Private Shanghai Gangster Tour
Ranked #13 of 118 Tours in Shanghai
More attraction details
Owner description: The only company to have won 2015 TripAdvisor Certificates Of Excellence in both Shanghai and Beijing, Newman Tours' native English speaking guides use iPads, and Chinese cultural activities to ensure your tour is informative and memorable. We have more than five years' experience leading historical and interactive tours in Beijing, Hangzhou, Suzhou, Nanjing, Xi'an, Tianjin, and of course Chengdu.
New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Excellent tours and service!”
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

I have used Newman Tours for six consecutive days of tailored tours during a one week visit to Shanghai and recommend them highly. They put together a custom agenda based on my specific interests and my expectations were far exceeded. We went far off the usual tourist path, and I got to gain a real good understanding of Shanghai. Besides visiting top museums, historic sights and tall buildings, we spent time in supermarkets, art districts, having lunch in great local restaurants and an employee cafeteria and spent as much time as I wanted in high-end and mid-market malls. Anything I requested, they were able to do. Both Daniel and Chloe were excellent,flexible and quickly figured out the pace and places that would be suitable for me.

Miami Beach, Florida
“Learned a lot about the Imperial City”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We wanted to get historical information while touring the Forbidden City and Newman Tours was the perfect place for that. Our guide, Chris, was an expert on Chinese history - having majored in Central Asian culture as an undergraduate. His approach to the information was light hearted and thorough at the same time. He was willing to answer our numerous questions throughout the tour and was always patient and informative. He brought us to hidden spots that we would have definitely missed without his guidance and his knowledge of Chinese culture and history stayed with me even as I visited other great sites in the area. I learned about architectural methods, belief systems, various dynasties and how life in general was for the emperors and their concubines and eunuchs. I am not inclined to take tours often - but - when there is a great spot and a great guide, the combination works well, as it did with Newman Tours and Chris.

Bogota, Colombia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Really Interesting”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Shanghai is such an interesting city and this tour is perfect to understand foreign influences in the city. Our tour guide Chloe was such a nice person, she is from Scotland and is nice to have an english native speaker in China, otherwise you won't understand anything to chinese tour guides. Chloe is not the typical tour guide, who just gives a lot of facts with no background. She has a really good ability to capt your attention, with good examples and jokes. Would recommend this tour to anyone.

London, United Kingdom
“Old Shanghai and day trip to Hangzhou”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Chloe hosted both of our trips. She was knowledgeable, charming and good company. Both tours lived up to expectations and we enjoyed each of them. Paul and Jan Godfrey

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Great and interesting tour of the French Consession”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I was recommended to use Newmans Tours by the girls that run Shopping Tours Shanghai and am so glad Daniel was able to fit us in at the last minute for a tour of the French Concession. Our lovely guide, Edie, was interesting and well informed and we just loved looking at the beautiful buildings and gardens and hearing about the history of Shanghai.....it just made it so much more alive for us and we are so glad we did it.....highly recommended!

Visited March 2013