“Very informative French Concession tour”

Newman Tours-Day Tour
Book on TripAdvisor
More Info
$42.50*
and up
Private Shanghai Gangster Tour
Ranked #13 of 116 Tours in Shanghai
More attraction details
Owner description: The only company to have won 2015 TripAdvisor Certificates Of Excellence in both Shanghai and Beijing, Newman Tours' native English speaking guides use iPads, and Chinese cultural activities to ensure your tour is informative and memorable. We have more than five years' experience leading historical and interactive tours in Beijing, Hangzhou, Suzhou, Nanjing, Xi'an, Tianjin, and of course Chengdu.
Shanghai
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very informative French Concession tour”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I considered just doing a walking tour on my own from a guidebook, but was very happy that I decided to take this tour. The tour guide, Daniel, provided a lot of good history, and we walked through some LiLongs that I would probably not have ventured into on my own. Highly recommended if you want to know some history behind the area.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Em B

“Knowledgable, enthusiastic and helpful guides provide lively tours”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We have taken five different Newman Tours with two different guides and can state that their tours are always well-planned, well-researched, and fascinating. Their innovative use of iPads to illustrate additional information helps to flesh out the presentation and engage the viewers. Each time, we leave not only with memories, but a deeper understanding of the historical, political and cultural context in which the sites can be placed. Not to say that the tours are dry - far from it, as the commentary is delivered in an affectionate, and occasionally cheeky, style normally used for one's eccentric relatives. Guides are native English speakers who are fluent in Mandarin and have engaged in extensive Asian studies; their love of the culture shows. Finally, they follow up post-tour with additional information and links, depending upon interests expressed during the tour. We recommend them unreservedly!

East Lansing, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Walking Tour of Bund and French Connection”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Both walking tours were excellent. I found Chloe to be both a wealth of knowledge and an extremely personable guide. I would recommend Newman tours to anyone visiting Shanghai.

Visited October 2012
Fort Worth, Texas
“French Concession”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My daughter and I had the pleasure of getting a private tour with Chloe do the French Concession. We were shown some period hotels, churches and quaint alleyways that we never would have found on our own. Chloe was personable,knowledgable and interesting. Showing us pictures of the people and places she was describing on her iPad was a nice little touch. Would definitely use Newman Tours aain

Visited March 2013
Shanghai, China
“French Concession Tour”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I joined this tour in January, and had the pleasure to be shown around by Chloe, a knowledgeable, informative and engaging guide who really brought the history of the French Concession to life.
It's a half day walking tour, flat and not strenuous, that gets you into the nooks and crannies of historical Shanghai. Perfect to be finished off with a fun chinese lunch. Then there is still plenty for you to explore in the afternoon on your own.

Visited January 2013