“Perfect Sunday Night”

and up
Private Shanghai Gangster Tour
Ranked #13 of 123 Tours in Shanghai
More attraction details
Owner description: The only company to have won 2015 TripAdvisor Certificates Of Excellence in both Shanghai and Beijing, Newman Tours' native English speaking guides use iPads, and Chinese cultural activities to ensure your tour is informative and memorable. We have more than five years' experience leading historical and interactive tours in Beijing, Hangzhou, Suzhou, Nanjing, Xi'an, Tianjin, and of course Chengdu.
Reviewed September 23, 2012

When we met tour guide Daniel for the Gangster Tour we were momentarily taken aback by his authentic 1940's getup. Playing the role of a shady British character from the era, he stayed in character throughout the entire tour, which, along with the occasional use of a prop or two, accentuated our enjoyment of night. Although between my significant other and I we've been living in Shanghai a combined 13+ years, this tour was an eye-opening look into Shanghai's criminal past. Little did I know that many of the beautiful old buildings I have lived near in the past were once opium storage depots or former drug baron mansions. Not only will we suggest Newman tours to any visiting family or friends, but also our friends currently living in Shanghai - no matter how long they've already lived here. If you love history and are up for a bit of exercise, you can't beat this for a weekend activity.

1  Thank CWL_Shanghai
There are newer reviews for Newman Tours-Day Tour

Reviewed September 10, 2012

I went on a walking tour of the French concession with Edie and on a customized tour of the Bund and a temple with Daniel. Both were excellent.

Edie 'spiced' her talk with so many interesting stories about the characters who used to inhibit this part of Shanghai, she has also a keen eye for architecture details, and does not shy away from exploring and/or tasting something new. Her knowledge of the language helped, of course. For two hours, I felt like living in Shanghai.

Daniel has a different approach, supplementing his explanations steeped in a an excellent knowledge of local history with maps and trivia brought up quickly on his iPad or iPhone apps. It was his insights that helped me understand what makes Shanghai 'tick' today and in years gone. Daniel has the gift to put things into context and make history come alive.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I went recently on the Newman ghost tour through Jingan with a group of friends, having a great time. Haunted houses apart, the inspired tour guides will also teach you to write charms in Chinese calligraphy and capture dead people on camera.

Loved it!

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I've been in Shanghai with my family for nearly a year now, but with work, travel and the extra-curricular demands for my boys, it's been tough to really get to know the city on more than a passing basis. My wife came up with the idea of trying out a few tours of the city to get a better sense of the history of our new home while having a bit of fun. After considering a few companies in town, we came across the “Shanghai gangster tour” which stuck a chord with the males in the family…but not so much my better half. Despite her protests, and promising to do a more shopping-oriented one to compensate, we all headed down last week for an evening stroll through the seedy history of Shanghai.

Were there not youngsters involved, we would have opted for the deluxe, costumed version (with fedoras for the men and feather boas for the women, plus a trip to the shooting range at the end) but even dressed in our normal clothes, we had a wonderful time. Our guide really brought the history of the area to life, particularly as he did the tour in character – a nice touch for the kids, who had a blast. A smart feature of the tour was our guide’s iPad slideshow, which had maps, photos and diagrams to provide further background to the history and major players in Shanghai’s criminal past. Several times we passed by interesting sights that weren’t directly connected to the tour, but our guide didn’t skip a beat and proceeded to give us just as detailed a run-down on those places, opening another slideshow to supplement his talk. It was nice to get that bit of extra insight, when other companies might be unwilling (or unable to do so.)

Overall, our guide was well-prepared, engaging and knowledgeable, and while the tour was a little shorter than we had expected, we learned a lot – and more importantly had a great time.

My boys are already eyeing the “ghost tour.” That sounds like a plan for me: we may have to overrule the wife once more.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

My wife Melissa and I went on a shared tour of the French Concession with Edie Millar and a private tour of the Bund with Daniel Newman. We both thoroughly enjoyed each tour and wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone who wants to learn more about the history of this great city. Daniel has a great sense of humour and we both implore him to start that Shanghai bar tour that others have suggested!