“Put a "crawfish" on the barbie!”

UnTour Shanghai Food Tours
Ranked #2 of 53 Food & Drink in Shanghai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Our walking culinary tours are designed to get visitors off the beaten path and into authentic local shops where they can eat shoulder to shoulder with locals. Since 2007, UnTour Food Tours has taken over 18,000 guests to our favorite mom-and-pop-owned shops. UnTour Food Tour has been featured in The New York Times, Travel & Leisure, National Geographic, Monocle, CNN, The Sunday Time Travel Magazine, Samantha Brown Travels, The Guardian & more. Come explore Shanghai's tastiest authentic cuisine with us!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed June 9, 2014

What a brilliant experience. Thanks to Kyle for so helpfully doing an extra tour for our group at short notice...
There was really no way I would have been brave enough to experience the foods in the local markets without the amazing help of Kyle...the food was delicious (loved the crawfish and glad we didn't go near the snake!!), the beer was cold and the chat amazing.
I would highly recommend this tour to people who are up for something that takes them really into the heart of what the locals eat....and for people who aren't brave - suck it up - you'll really enjoy it!

Date of experience: June 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (1,914)
All reviews
"lamb kebab"
in 17 reviews
"local food"
in 51 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
in 27 reviews
"french concession"
in 76 reviews
"small group"
in 29 reviews

Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I did the night markets tour and Mitch was our guide. He took us to local places we wouldn't have gone to on our own and the food was fantastic!! Mitch was also really nice and gave us a lot of interesting info and quirky tidbits about the city. He even gave us tips on places to visit and eat at during the rest of our stay. Great guide and great tour. Oh and there is a tonne of food so make sure you arrive hungry. Beers/ nonalcoholic drinks and desserts are included as well. Highly recommended!!!

1  Thank Jitna B
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

I went on the Best of Shanghai tour with Carolyn, is a new tour offered by Untour and they have themselves a winner. I was a little put off by the price at first as ~$95US seems a little expensive but then I realized that most tours and activities in Shanghai are expensive. So I chose Untour and want disappointed. This tour was a great mix of food, sightseeing and a little bit of history. But the main aim of the tour is food and you get to try a good variety of foods from noodles to dumplings to snacks to treats. It finishes with a very relaxing tea ceremony. A really good all round tour and a great way to spend half your day in Shanghai.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

My friend & I did the tour on the evening of our first full day in China.....which was in Shanghai. Dan was our guide and was very knowledgeable and entertaining. We went to several small restaurants, tried MANY different foods after Dan described them to us, bought different kinds of desserts, went to a Noodle restaurant, and walked all around Old Shanghai enabling us to get a REAL FEEL for the local scene. After 3+ hours of walking and EATING and drinking, I was much better informed, quite tired and VERY full!! Thanks Dan for a GREAT evening! I HIGHLY recommend this tour for anyone in Shanghai but especially first time visitors like ourselves.

Date of experience: May 2014