“Delicious way to see Shanghai” 5 of 5 bubbles

Eat Like A Local: Shanghai Street Food Night Tour
Ranked #1 of 30 Food & Drink in Shanghai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Our walking culinary tours have been featured in the New York Times, Guardian & more. Come explore Shanghai's tastiest authentic cuisine!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Shanghai, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious way to see Shanghai”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

Have been on the UnTour food tours twice now - always great fun and delicious food. Great way to try all the amazing food Shanghai has to offer with people who really know their stuff & who choose excellent, safe vendors. Great thing to do if you are visiting Shanghai but also perfect for people who live locally and just want to get to know more about Shanghai's food scene. Tours are fun, relaxed and not stuffy at all.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best breakfast on the streets”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

Once again, a fabulous morning of breakfast on the street. We always bring our guests to Shanghai on an Untours exploration of French Concession street eating, knowing that we will be eating wonderful and varied street food, and kid ourselves that we are walking it off. Friendly, fun guides who know their stuff, and like chatting too. Only problem is choosing which of their tours to take.

Broome, Australia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Excellent night out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

Just do it. Did the street markets night tour and loved it. Mitch was great and the food terrific.this was my second trip to ShanghI and sorry I didn't discover this tour the first time.

1 Thank MocBroome_Australia
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Came back multiple times!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

I've been to Shanghai twice over the past six months and I've done 3 UnTours in that time. I loved it so much the first trip I did two more on my second trip! Each tour was completely worth it and so interesting and fun. The best way to get to know a city is through its food, and UnTour exposes you to the food and culture through VERY expert tour guides who speak flawless English and Mandarin and who have cultivated great relationships with the local vendors.

Street Eats - Breakfast Tour: I picked this the first time because it was my only time available. I did this same tour the second trip because the food was so great and tour so much fun. I had Carla and Jamie (the co-owner) as tour guides and they were both so knowledgeable, engaging, and demonstrated true love for the food and culture - and they shared all of that with you. The food: spot-on choices. We went to several different food stands/bodega type establishments within the French Concession area. Depending on the size of your group (bigger groups get more variety), you get to sample a huge variety of baio, dumplings, Xiao long baio, noodles, egg tarts, and other baked goods. So good. I grew up going to Chinatown in NYC, so I was familiar with these foods, and yet, it's so different tasting them in their local region and using local, fresh ingredients. In between food stops, the guide gave wonderful history about the area, and we stopped in a "wet market" watching local vendors sell vegetables and butcher meats. I booked it the second time b/c I wanted to make sure I could do some kind of tour with this group again, and you never grow tired of the food. The second time with Jamie was just as good as the first. You learn new things and the food changes slightly with the seasons. So worth a return trip!

Night Tour (Thursday night): This was a truly irreplaceable food experience! On the Sunday street eats tour, I suppose I could've pointed at some foods and gotten some of the same things, on the Thursday night tour, there's no way I could've done this without the tour guide. We went to two street markets where they had a series of restaurants. On the first street, we went into one restaurant where our guide, Dan, did all the ordering. And good thing! There is no way we could've asked for our dishes without speaking Mandarin. And it was UNBELIEAVABLY good! You should probably like seafood, b/c it was mostly grilled crayfish, scallops, razor clams, etc., with some vegetables and some lamb sticks. So, so fresh and so, so, good. At our second stop, it was more of a street with stalls. Again, definitely reliant on the tour guide to order several different noodle dishes from different vendors and then creating a picnic at another restaurant. Saw one vendor creating the noodles by stretching them, then ate several types of noodle dishes and vegetables. All so good.

I would definitely go back for a 4th time and more - it's hard to sample this much variety of foods in this short of a period of time and also get nice history of the area. If you like food, and you want to try the local foods (that locals eat, not fancy restaurant stuff), then you MUST do UnTours. I wish every city modeled their food tours after this group's.

San Francisco, California
“oodles of noodles tour is oodles of fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

Whether you are an adventurous foodie who regularly munches on pig ears with the locals or a street-food newbie who's a little worried about being forced to eat a scorpion on a stick, the Oodles of Noodles tour is for you. The variety of noodles we tried was a perfect combo of flavors: peanut/sesame noodles- spicy and tasty; handcut noodles with tomato and egg- mild, chewy and delicious; a ramen-like soup in the basement of a 24-hour joint- yum!
Our guide, Mitch, was great- this guy knows his noodles, but also gave us insight into the neighborhood, architecture, customs, etc. as we walked our way around the French Concession. It really felt like we were discovering hidden neighborhood spots with our Shanghai-insider friend.
To top it it off, at tour's end, we all got a mini food guide including names & addresses of spots we visited, recipes for the noodles dishes we tried and recommendations for more Shanghai specialties to try- perfect! I only wish I had time to do the dumpling tour too...

Visited March 2014