“Highlight of the trip!”

Eat Like A Local: Shanghai Street Food Night Tour
Ranked #1 of 32 Food & Drink in Shanghai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Our walking culinary tours have been featured in the New York Times, Guardian & more. Come explore Shanghai's tastiest authentic cuisine!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Highlight of the trip!”
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

My friends and I did the breakfast tour on a Sunday and absolutely loved it. The tour guide was super knowledgable and the food was fabulous. Highly recommend!

Montreal, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“My appetite has been whetted! Thank you, Don!”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I've been to Asia on numerous occasions over the last few years including Singapore, Tokyo, Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur. Being the picky eater I am, I always looked on at diners in each city with the envy of someone who wasn't invited to the party. The most adventuresome I'd get might be tempura chicken or possibly some identifiable stir-fry. I have grown to love real nigiri sushi in Tokyo, but that has never been quite the jungle that street food is for me.

On my first trip to mainland China this week, I couldn't take it anymore. I saw a note on the WikiVoyage Shanghai page mentioning UnTour and decided to plunge forward. Sure enough, they had exactly what I was after, an intro to the night market street food scene in Shanghai on Thursday.

Simply put, I couldn't be more pleased. Our host, UnTour guide Don, was amicable, informative and easy-going. He made it seem that it really was a pleasure for home to be sharing his experience with us, which is about the best thing you could ask for in a guide.

In the end I learned a lot, ate a lot, and went back to my hotel with an idiotic grin on my face. I went back to the market on my own on Friday night for more, something I would have never dared without Don's guidance and UnTour's help. My spaghetti at home will be so boring now.

Thank you!

Visited April 2014
Burlingame, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Don't miss this!”
Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

My son (who lives in Shanghai) suggested we do this. I was VERY skeptical - I'm a picky eater as it is and the thought of "street" food was not appealing. He was so enthusiastic about it that I decided to go along. And I will now recommend it to anyone visiting Shanghai. It was a wonderful, unique experience. Not only was the food delicious, you will experience a part of the city and culture that you will never see otherwise. Trip is not over yet, but so far this was my absolute favorite activity. DO NOT MISS THIS

Seattle, Washington
“Vegetarian Breakfast Tour”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Thank you so much for this wonderful experience. The food was great and the tour was fantastic. I appreciated, at the start, the walk through Xiangyang Park. It was delightful to see all the people doing their morning exercises, including Tai Chi, calligraphy, fan dancing and more. What a busy and diverse scene it was! My guide, Shawnee, was wonderful in explaining everything. She is fluent in English and Mandarin, and well-versed on the Chinese culture. A perfect guide.
The food was varied, but too much. I was full half way through the tour. Shawnee advised me to go slowly, as there were many options, but I loved it so much I wanted to try everything. Walking and eating was fun, but it was also nice when we went into a small shop and ate noodles at a table in an upstairs room.
Thank you again for this great experience.

Visited March 2014
zurich
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“A first rate breakfast tour in Shanghai”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Our friends arranged an "UnTour" breakfast tour with Kyle during a recent visit and it was a great introduction to the many wonderful breakfast offerings in Shanghai. I'm quite certain we would not have found any of these on our own, and wouldn't have any idea how to distinguish a good dish from a bad one even if we managed to find the various stalls and shops. Kyle was such an engaged and knowledgeable guide that this rates a "must do" when you visit Shanghai.

Visited March 2014