“Great experience”

UnTour Shanghai Food Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Experience Shanghai: Dumpling Cooking Class and...
Ranked #2 of 46 Food & Drink in Shanghai
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Our walking culinary tours have been featured in the New York Times, Guardian & more. Come explore Shanghai's tastiest authentic cuisine!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Shanghai is full of food and drink delights that this tour would make you discover. We had a great time with an experienced and thoughful guide that made us took us to the best places, the coolest atmospheres. Totally advisable.

2  Thank sergip
Write a ReviewReviews (1,403)
All reviews
"cooking class"
in 47 reviews
"local food"
in 52 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
in 25 reviews
"french concession"
in 73 reviews

Reviewed August 22, 2011

We only had 3 days in Shanghai, but this was definitely the highlight. The 3 of us did the Morning Street Eats tour and the Cocktail Hour tour with Jamie. Both tours were amazing.

The breakfast tour started off with a walk through the park to work up an appetite and from there it was eating as much as possible. We had everything from dumplings to meat cooked on a spit. There is no sense in explaining how good the food was it is something that needs to be experienced in person.

Don’t let the name of the Cocktail Hour tour fool you it definitely lasts longer than an hour. This tour was a blast; we tried drinks at 3 different bars, drank some absolutely incredible rum, learned some hilariously fun local drinking games, and ate some delicious noodles to soak up the alcohol.

Jamie was a very knowledgeable and flexible guide plus a lot of fun to drink with! I can’t recommend these tours enough!!

3  Thank Michael M
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I went with some coworkers, many of whom were very worried about eating street food. The food was amazing and the guide was great. We were in 2 cabs and one did not go to the right place (the cab drivers fault) but she waited for us to get into another cab and find the group (very easy). She was very knowledgable about food and the area. It was great!"

2  Thank jenzo15
Reviewed August 18, 2011

I really enjoyed Jamie's Morning Markets Streets Eat Culinary Tour in Shanghai and would recommend it to foodies and non-foodies planning to visit Shanghai.

We started the tour with a morning stroll through a park in the French Concession. Even though I previously lived in Shanghai, I had never walked through that park in the morning. We saw groups of older Chinese people exercising, practicing tai chi, dancing, and even doing water calligraphy on the sidewalk. It made me feel like I was in a very local part of Shanghai and I got some great photos and video footage.

Jamie did a great job of packing her food tour with many unique local stops and a diverse selection of classic Chinese breakfast foods. We enjoyed steaming hot classic Shanghainese pork dumplings ("xiaolong bao"), thinly pulled flavored noodles, tofu with green peppers, cong you big (i.e. and onion flavored pastry), a Chinese donut ("you tiao), an egg tart, and many other tasty Chinese treats.

One of the best aspects of Jamie's tour was getting to see the food prepared in front of us. We got to see a guy "pull" (i.e. make) our noodles, a very old gentleman prepare the cong you bing with amazing attention to detail in the traditional way, and much more.

Jamie was knowledgeable about Shanghai and spoke fantastic Chinese. She was open about sharing her experiences living and working in Shanghai in addition to some fun facts about the city. I even met a friendly Australian couple who were visiting Shanghai on the tour as well. It felt more like seeing the city with a group of friends rather than a “tour,” in the traditional sense.

Overall, Jamie's Shanghai food tour was lots of fun. I'd recommend it to people traveling to Shanghai for the first time or even those who have been to Shanghai many times and are looking for an interesting activity in Shanghai. Two big thumbs up for Jamie as a Shanghai tour guide as well.

1  Thank DavidChinaTraveler
See more reviews
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We just returned from our two week trip to Shanghai, and without a doubt our street food tour with Jamie was one of the best memories of our trip. We took our tour on the second morning we were there, and it was a great way to experience Shanghai food and local life. We took the Tues. morning street food tour and registered the day before. We were worried that it might be too late to register, particularly since we were bringing a three year old with us, but Jamie got back to us right away to confirm our reservation. The tour was well planned out, with great food and many opportunities to sit and eat. Jamie took care of everything: purchasing the food, making sure we had water and we comfortable, she even helped me pick out a drink to try at a local convenience store when I told her I wanted something different and not available in the States-Chrysanthemum tea! As we walked between stops, Jamie answered our questions about Shanghai life and culture. Even my friend who were were staying with found the tour really informative-- after listening to Jamie she said that she was comfortable ordering street food on her own. During our trip, we recommended the tour to everyone we met in Shanghai, including many of the expats that we met during our travels. Even our friend who lives in Shanghai is anxious to take the tour again! I highly recommend this tour-worth every penny (or yuan!).

1  Thank Christilew