“Wonderful introduction to Shanghai”

Shanghai Pathways-Private One-day and Walking Tours
$64.23*
Private 2-Hour Walking Tour of Shanghai's Jewish Ghetto
Ranked #15 of 121 Tours in Shanghai
More attraction details
Owner description: If you want unique & authentic tours to see the real Shanghai, come join us! We take you behind the scenes of a destination to reveal it's hidden gems and appreciate the Chinese culture. We believe this is the perfect style of travel experience for those who want to get off the beaten path and really connect with the destination. With English speaking Chinese guides who lives in Shanghai, you are assured a real local experience. The experience can be as short as a couple of hours, or a whole day, but in every case we will take you to interesting places to meet locals, and really see what makes the place tick.
New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Wonderful introduction to Shanghai”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband, 8 year old son and I had 3 days to see Shanghai -- and we spent them all with wonderful, knowledgeable and friendly guides from Shanghai Pathways. We spent a lot of time researching tours before our trip, and we are so glad we found Shanghai Pathways. We were able to get some really memorable and unique experiences, thanks to our terrific guides. Chef Wang took us to a wet market in his home neighborhood and then invited us into his home to prepare a delicious home-cooked Shanghai meal for us. He was so warm, as was his smiling wife and adorable daughter and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience of being guests in a real home. Ashaki, who took us to magical West Lake in Hangzhou, was very friendly and had a great rapport with our son. We visited West Lake during a holiday weekend, so there were many other tourists -- but we viewed that as part of the experience. It was great to people watch all the other visitors from all parts of China come to West Lake to enjoy its natural beauty just as we did -- and to pray at the nearby ancient temple. We loved being among the Chinese families bicycling, couples strolling, people flying kites -- all in the most beautiful setting ever. Finally, on our last day, we had a full day tour with Janny, who is truly expert in her field. She was so knowledgeable, efficient and professional (and yet friendly and personable) and really showed us some special places in Shanghai, especially the glimpses into Old Shanghai, which may not be there in a few years given development. And of course, knowing our love of food, we enjoyed some delicious local delicacies with Janny;s guidance -- from dining at Jardin de Jade to snacking on sesame balls being made and fried right before us in a street stall to lining up with the locals for dumplings from Yang's! Thank you Janny and Shanghai Pathyways for helping to make our trip to Shanghai so special and memorable!. Yvonne L. and family from New York City

1 Thank Yvonne212917

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent service and well done!”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This was so amazing, far better than we could ever have hoped for. The historic information given was inspiring that I will now do far more reading on China before visiting again. The Shanghai museum has tremendous historical items and one could easily spend an entire day there. OUr guide Helen is friendly and very well versed with Shanghai history. She also brought us to shop for souvenirs at a local shop where the price is extremely reasonable compare to the big touristy shop.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank 250melissal
Reno, Nevada
“Shanghai Pathways - great way to spend a couple of days”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I'm very grateful to Trip Advisor for finding Shanghai Pathways. As many have mentioned, Janny is beyond fantastic in her guiding, in her responsiveness, and in her discernment to help you create a great adventure in Shanghai based on your interests. I was coming to Shanghai for business and didn't have time to do my own research of what to see, where to go, eat, etc, and Janny provided timely and wonderful suggestions for all. I had the priviledge of doing a half day tour of the back streets of Shanghai with Janny which was very interesting. We visited a beautiful dilapidated home designed by the same guy who worked on Yu Yuan Gardens. The man kept the communists from burning the wooden panels and some of the furniture and the women who lives there, his daughter, is trying to raise funds to restore the house to it's former glory. There aren't many of these places left in Shanghai, I hope she'll be successful. She's a delight and delights in you enjoying her place.

I also visited the water town and the city highlights. Ashaki from Shanghai Pathways was my guide and she was delightful and fun to pal around with. We visited many of the "classic" Shanghai spots including Yu Yuan Park, the Jewish Ghetto, which I was interested in visiting because a good friend of ours took refuge there during the war years. Ashaki is very knowledgable and flexible; I don't think we got to every spot on the agenda because I like to poke around and explore and Ashaki was very respectful and accommodating.

They also created a unique trip for me to Hangzhou and stayed overnight there which I highly recommend. It was very fun to take the bullet train there. You'll need to pick up a room for your guide, but it was worth it to have a Chinese help me navigate the trains, buses, taxies and sights and simply to have nice company as I was traveling solo. We visited the tea village and then hiked 9 streams back to the main road, a lovely hike and not as crowded as some other spots in Hangzhou. Ashaki had a keen sense of where to find the best tea shop where I was able to buy some tea from a small family farmer. We did the classic biking around the lake, and I'm shocked we didn't crash into anyone. We were cycling with what seemed like a million people - somehow it all works out and you navigate through the crowds.

I very much enjoyed our visit to the temple in Hangzhou - beautiful place, and again, hugely crowded. You can hike up the mountain paths which is a nice way to get away from the crowds and you can get up close beautiful ancient statues carved into the mountains.

Know that when you go to China you are going to the most populous country in the world. With rising incomes, the Chinese are vacationing with abandon. Expect to be part of a throng of people wherever you go, and you won't be disappointed. If you're looking for solitude and quiet, most of the popular tourist destinations in China are not that.

Visited November 2012
Sydney
“Getting the most of your day in Shanghai”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Don't waste time trying to see Shanghai by yourself in one day. Our recent tour by Mary from Shanghai Pathways meant that we could make the most of our day whilst stopping over on a cruise. We saw so many of the local attractions with the benefits of this lovely chinese guide without the complications of trying to manage in a country which has so many interesting sites to visit but can be challenging without speaking mandarin. We saw a fantastic cross section of cultural attractions, with the benefit of background knowledge (without having to study history books), as well as being able to ask other general questions. It is a huge day (we caught 8 taxis and a lot of walking to get around) but very worthwhile and we then had the confidence to do other things ourselves the next day e.g. get the Maglev train before returning to our ship.

Berlin, Germany
“A super great evening of Shanghai”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We were traveling in China and had chance to stop in Shanghai for our flight to Yangshuo, based on the very limited time we have, we booked for a private custom tour for the 4 of us in the evening! Janny (our amazing tour guide) was friendly, informative, organized, and speaks the best English ever. The river cruise which we took was full of breath-taking views, and the short walk down Nanjing Street was a great introduction to Shanghai with many stories related to Shanghai history. Janny knows so much of Shanghai and we had chance to visit the part of Shanghai which is totally off the beaten path. I highly recommend this tour for anyone who wants to get an unique Shanghai experience!