“You only live once” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Private 2-Hour Walking Tour of Shanghai's Jewish Ghetto
Ranked #12 of 105 Tours in Shanghai
More attraction details
Owner description: If you want unique & authentic tours to see the real Shanghai, come join us! We take you behind the scenes of a destination to reveal it's hidden gems and appreciate the Chinese culture. We believe this is the perfect style of travel experience for those who want to get off the beaten path and really connect with the destination. With English speaking Chinese guides who lives in Shanghai, you are assured a real local experience. The experience can be as short as a couple of hours, or a whole day, but in every case we will take you to interesting places to meet locals, and really see what makes the place tick.
Melbourne, Australia
“You only live once”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

After several days in Nanjing and Shanghai on business I had three days to see what Shanghai really had to offer the tourist. My wife flew in from Melbourne and we did three Shanghai Pathways tours.
Booking the tours and confirming our requirements was easy, being met at our hotel was convenient and communication was efficient.
The first was "The Best of Shanghai" where were escorted by Ashaki, a very pleasant young lady with a good command of English. We enjoyed an informed commentary that made much of what we saw fascinating beyond their apparent commonality or normality. The Best of Shanghai covers most of the important tourist locations and a few that are difficult to find. We saw from the ground what “Skyfall” showed from the air at night.
The second tour was “Lost and Forgotten Shanghai”. We toured the areas selected by Janny with 8 or 9 other people, some of whom lived and worked in Shanghai, that had no idea that these areas existed. We saw many sights and sounds that are not really part of the standard tourist track. Whilst we understand why it is both lost and forgotten, it offered a glimpse into the past that only a knowledgeable tour guide would be capable of transforming from mundane to mesmerising. This is an absolute must-do tour of Shanghai.
For the third tour we went and experienced the Zhujiajiao water town, again with Ashaki. This is a most interesting area that is criss-crossed by canals and gondolas. The market areas show a side to local cuisine that, to western tastes, should probably remain pretty much exactly where it is! This is a place where Made in China really means it. The taxi trip back was an exercise in patience as taxis are hard to flag down in the dark many kilometres away from the centre of Shanghai.
Over the course of three tours we were able to see gardens, temples, houses, courtyards, laneways and canals that showcase China’s rich heritage and culture in a very small corner of a vast country. We ate where locals dined and travelled how locals travel, it was a huge experience crammed into a necessarily short period. We highly recommend Shanghai Pathways to anyone wanting to see Shanghai.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank BlueKooka
Janny0302, Owner at Shanghai Pathways-Private One-day and Walking Tours, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thank you so much ;-) We are glad that you have had a great time with us!

San Francisco, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“an eye opening experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

My mom and I did the foot binding shoe museum tour with Shanghai Pathways, I was really happy as this is on top of my MUST DO list in Shanghai after reading "the snow flower and secret fan", an eye opening experience to meet the shoe collector and getting a deeper insights with this amazing part of Chinese history and his personal story of getting over 3000 pair of shoes. For over 1600 years, Chinese women have to bind for the pleasure of their future husband, I highly recommend this tour if you are interested in learning about Chinese culture and tradition.

1 Thank s_harris36
Thank you!
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Tea Tour in Shanghai”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

I am always interested in learning about Chinese tea, so when I saw Shanghai Pathways offers tea class, I decided to give it a try. It is perfect for the cold winter day and I was lucky enough to get a private class with a 60 years old Chinese tea master. The owner of the company, Janny was also there and she helped to explain every step in great detail. In the end of the class, I learnt 3 different ways to prepare Wulong Tea , which I love the most. It was a great tour and I highly recommend you to try it.

1 Thank TTW101
Thank you very much and we are really glad that you like the tea tour ;-)
Shanghai, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Tour Shanghai with Insiders”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

It is an amazing time to experience Shanghai off the beaten path, my friend and I have lived and worked in Shanghai for 2 years, so we thought that we know a lot about this city. However, the tour with Janny changed everything. Not only we got to visit the hidden corners of this city, discover the lost garden which has been right in the mid of the down town area for over 250 years, ate tasty local shanghai food and hairy crab at a place with only 4 tables, this tour made us open our eyes again and really appreciated the Chinese culture. She personally thought us the "secrets" of Chinese tea and we have learnt more about tea in one single day than the past 2 years.

1 Thank traveltheworld309
Thank you ;-) Hope to see you again soon.
Brussels, Belgium
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fun, creative, and knowledgable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

There is a lot to say about my experience in shanghai, but it is hard to put all of these little pieces into a single review. I arrived at this amazing city without any clue about it as I simply wanted to have a break from my stressful job and put myself into a different place, with not much time to plan, I did a bit research and booked a day with shanghai pathways, and I got Janny with me luckily...not only she explained me the history part of the city, took me to amazing places and see the real shanghai where only the locals can find, I also got to try all kinds of great food - well, this is tricky because I am a vegetarian, so Janny took me to all of the best veg places which she knows about, the food is amazing. I had 3 days trying all different vegetarian style food wherever we travel, this is something that I would never expected, the 6 floors restaurant designed in 5 elements style, the veg that tasted almost like real food, the amazing veg hamburg, the zen style veg....I could live in shanghai, I think......3 days with Janny was fun and she is creative enough to put together a travel experience that is memorable. she also knows so much about Chinese tea, you have to ask her about it if she is going to be your guide. Shanghai is a city which I will defiantly return.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank Donna K
Thank you so much for this very kind review ;-)