“Best City Tour We've Ever Taken”

Shanghai Pathways-Private One-day and Walking Tours
$57.12*
Private 2-Hour Shanghai Lanes and Alleyways Walking Tour
Ranked #15 of 123 Tours in Shanghai
More attraction details
Owner description: If you want unique & authentic tours to see the real Shanghai, come join us! We take you behind the scenes of a destination to reveal it's hidden gems and appreciate the Chinese culture. We believe this is the perfect style of travel experience for those who want to get off the beaten path and really connect with the destination. With English speaking Chinese guides who lives in Shanghai, you are assured a real local experience. The experience can be as short as a couple of hours, or a whole day, but in every case we will take you to interesting places to meet locals, and really see what makes the place tick.
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I highly recommend Janny at Shanghai Pathways if you want to spend an incredible day in Shanghai. We were with a group tour to China and had one extra day to spend by ourselves at the end of the tour. Janny met us at the hotel promptly at 9. We started with the Jewish Ghetto which is very interesting and little covered in US history. Next we visited the Urban Planning Museum which has an incredible model of Shanghai, and pictures of Shanghai in the past. We had lunch at Jade Garden. Janny recommended a number of dishes, all of which we liked. We were the only non- Chinese in the restaurant which was nice given that we had been at tourist places for most of our trip. After lunch we went to the Marriage Market which is local site of matchmaking. We then toured the Jade Buddha, and Janny gave us a short course on Buddhism which was very enlightening. We finished with a trip to the top of the Hyatt in the Pudong, and a visit to old Shanghai. It was amazing to see the contrast between the old and new
city.

Janny speaks perfect English and is one of the most knowledgeable guides I have ever had. Be prepared to cover lots of ground, and make sure you have lots of cash for cabs and entrance fees. The costs aren't that much (maybe $50 extra dollars per person) but you do need to have cash to pay these costs. Also, have cash to pay for the tour at the end.

There is still so much to see on our next visit. We will hire Janny again if we go back.

1  Thank travlinmom1429
Janny0302, Owner at Shanghai Pathways-Private One-day and Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you! I loved the time we had together, see the huge paper model of Shanghai city, explore the old Shanghai and it was very interesting to discuss about Buddhism with you and your husband.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I am back in Singapore already and have many wonderful memories of Shanghai. I would like to give praise to Shanghai Pathways service and the guide Summer. She's been very professional during the tour and gave me many information on Shanghai and also of the culture of China. I felt like I was having a sightseeing day with a friend. :) Very enjoyable day indeed! I will not hesitate to recommend Pathway to any of my friends.

Thank you!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

My wife and I had the pleasure of being toured around Shanghai on October 21, 2012, by your guide, Zoe. The purpose of this letter is to tell you how impressed we were with Zoe's knowledge, charm, and excellent command of English. We could not have had a more educational, informative or fun tour.

We have traveled to many, many countries (including China) and have had the good fortune to have experienced many guides (more than 100) in many countries. We have never had a more knowledgeable or effective guide. We would highly recommend Zoe to any tourist looking for any level of information about Shanghai. Zoe was particularly knowledgeable about the wonderful Shanghai Museum, and her answers to our questions about the modern Chinese culture were also very helpful to our understanding of your country.

Thank you so much for your great reviews! We are really happy to hear that you had a great time in Shanghai.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Having just completed a solo trip around China and dealing with various guide services, I can say, without pause, that Shanghai Pathways is the best in class. I used the service for three days, one to see the Shanghai highlights, the second to visit Suzhou and the third to experience the tea markets in Shanghai to have a class with a tea master. The guides were professional young women, supremely polite and open. They are both aware of the cities but also knowledgable to cater to each person and guess their likes and wants expertly. Traveling alone can be challenging especially in a country where the language is so difficult and they made it a joy. I felt as if I had gained an inside knowledge of the places and people through their insights. If you are interested in tea, I seriously suggest the tour of the markets and the tea ceremony class. The guide is an expert and expanded my knowledge ten fold in a short few hours.

Thank you! It is great fun to do the Tea Art Class together with the master.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Shirly from Shanghai Pathway is simply wonderful - so friendly and nice and she gave us THE most wonderful day. We absolutely loved Shanghai and going everywhere with Shirly who knew SO much about this wonderful city was such fun and we are very grateful to her for making our day so special.

Thank you!