“Great Mexican cuisine in the East”
Review of Maya

Maya
Ranked #81 of 17,249 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Former French Concession
Reviewed December 4, 2013

On a recent trip to Shanghai, a friend took me to Maya. Had never been there before but having grown up in Texas and Oklahoma, I grew up on Tex-Mex and had my doubts about Mexican food in China. Boy was I wrong. Food was not only authentic but quality was outstanding. Service was "spot on", price for value reasonable and atmosphere warm and inviting. This is the kind of place, if I lived in Shanghai, I would visit at minimum once a month...if not more often.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

If you find yourself in Shanghai craving Mexican cuisine Maya is your answer. The fish tacos are a must try.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Having read the reviews, we decided to visit for brunch and were impressed with the interiors, even though it is located within the clubhouse in a residential block. Service was quick and it was good that the staff spoke English. We had the avocado shake - there was too much milk and not much avocado taste. We also had the breakfast burrito, which I found a little mushy as they had avocado, small potato pieces and egg, when I was expecting the usual and more robust refried beans, rice and meat. We also ordered two tacos - the tender pork belly and the cilantro chicken. While flavorful, the meat in both was too little, and there was just to much vegetables in there. A nice place to hang out, with a good view of the pool, but to me the food was less than impressive.

1  Thank Orator11
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Any where else this would be average Mexican food but in Shanghai it is the best place to go for Mexican. Stick with the traditional Mexican entrees; the sauces are flavorful. This is not the place for Tex Mex. A burrito is not much larger than an eggroll.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

So we were looking online at a few places to eat in Shanghai, and I was really craving Mexican. By the reviews, Maya seemed to be top choice, so we decided to go there. Exceeded all expectations in terms of food, ambience and service! For appetizers we had the Blackened Turkey Empanadas and for tacos we had the Cilantro Chicken. For mains we had the Roasted Chicken Enchiladas. All the meats were cooked to perfection.
Out meal didn't end there though. Our server asked us if we would like dessert, but we were so filled up anyways, we declined and asked for the bill. Next thing we know along with the bill, he gets us these smoking Churros with like 5 different dips and he smiles and tells us it's on the house. We attacked the Churros and a minute it was wiped clean!
Has a really good ambience too, and the wine list is very impressive. Only drawback is that it's located on the second floor of a club or something. So weird location. And be ready to have a hard time finding cabs for the way back! At least we did.. But on the whole totally worth it!

1  Thank Anish90