“Best Mexican in Shanghai”
Review of Maya

Maya
Ranked #72 of 17,076 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Former French Concession
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Missing Mexican food -- go to Maya. The cocktails are great, the food is fantastic and the atmosphere is wonderful. Ask for a non-smoking table to really enjoy the meal. Maya is tucked back and can be hard to find but it is worth the effort. Of the various "mexican" choices, this is the best.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

This was a regular haunt of mine when I lived in Shanghai but my last visit was a touch disappointing. The management replied with an apology (always a good sign) so I made a point of going back during my last trip to Shanghai and the meal was fantastic as was the service. If you are looking for Mexican food with a twist this is the place to go in Shanghai!

Reviewed December 17, 2012

We miss Mexican food the most while living in Shanghai. This nearly hits the spot. Tacos are good, nice happy-hour but the coconut flan is worth going for!

Reviewed December 10, 2012

I honestly wish I would find one extraordinary place to eat in shanghai. Went there for brunch. Got there at 10:50 but they open at 11 so we were told to wait outside.The food was ok. The pictures of the food in one of the magazines looked much better than the actual food.. Do not recommend the churros.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Went here with a group of friends on a Saturday night. Was busy but we had a reservation. The actual restaurant is in a housing compound and seems rather strange at first. Would be hard to find if you had not been there before. Thought we were walking into a hotel or something. However once in the restaurant the deco is very warm and welcoming. We ordered a number of different dishes to share but I only had the chicken and cilantro quesidillas as a starter. These were AMAZING. Could be the nicest I have ever had! Would go back to Maya just for them. As a main we had the Mexican meat balls and rice. These were ok not too special but enjoyable. The service was very good and the staff were very attentive. I shared a jug of the mango margarita which was very nice too. You can get 3/4 glasses out of a jug costing 300rmb so quite good value. I really enjoyed the meal at Maya and for sure will go back!