“Peaceful spot”

654 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 472 helpful votes
“Peaceful spot”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Working Confucian temples are not that common in China and Wen Miao is a really nice example of one. It is mostly a rebuild, but the temple is a very nice place to spend an hour or so in quiet contemplation. The halls are nice, but the little garden is a great spot to relax. If you are in the neighbourhood, you should definitely pay the 10 RMB fee and go in.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank tombillinge

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Lovely sightseeing a bit away from all the tourists”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We read about the Confucian temple and decided to visit. We walked from the metro station. Nice setting with temples and antiques. We enjoyed that there were not many tourists there, so it was sort of quiet. Nice friendly staff showing you around. Entryfee RMB 10.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Raventos
Budapest, Hungary
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“If you are fed up with the hustle and bustle”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is the first temple I've visited in Shanghai and I really enjoyed it. I got off the subway at Laoximen which is the intersection of line 8 and 10. I walked about 5-10 minutes. There's a RMB10 admission fee.
To me one of the most important aspects is that I want to be able to enjoy the attraction without being harassed by pushy local people who always have a great deal for something stupid. If you're a little bit like me you'll enjoy this place. There was just one Chinese girl who tried to persuade me to visit the teahouse which I skipped because I really didn't want to be disturbed. Also, I had drunk a lot of tea before.
The area is surprisingly big, much bigger than you'd think before entering. You can walk around in peace and quiet, it's not bustling with tourists. I was there on a weekday morning, though. There are beautiful green areas, nice trees, a fish pond and of course the ceremonial places with statues, too. There's also a teapot museum. You can easily spend 1-1,5 hours there. Luckily, it's not a tourist trap and it's definitely not tacky. By the way, the neigbourhood is not historical at all (local street market), first I thought I wasn't in the right place.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank veronbalogh
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Tea Ceremony a Must”
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I came here and were taken around by a very sweet young girl who spoke very broken english. The temple is very quiet and a nice change from the other busy touristy attractions. The history or legend (which ever way you see it) was very interesting however we felt the best part was the tea ceremony. We enjoyed tasting various chinese teas and seeing the artful ceremony to prepare the tea. The jasmine tea was the best with the pretty flower that opens up in the hot water.

Haarlem, The Netherlands
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Nice quiet temple.”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Also a very nice temple. Quite small and hardly any tourists. Enjoyable place to spend some time away from the modern city.

Visited December 2012