“Great Hotel”

Ranked #13 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
alymr
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This is a great hotel, and I wish I had more than 1 night here. Check in was a breeze. The towels are large and fluffy as are the robes.
They have EVERYTHING you could possibly need in your room:
shower cap
comb
toothbrushes with toothpaste
Cotton balls and cotton swabs
sewing kit
emery board
bath salts for the huge amazing tub (that you can watch tv from if you swivel the tv in the bedroom)
etc etc
Room service was just ok.
The first night ordered a burger, it wasn't bad, but the patty was so thick. I cut it in half.
The next day for lunch ordered a margarita pizza.
It's an over cheesed pizza with 3 (yep 3!) pieces of basil. For 92 RMB, I expected better.
Breakfast buffet was FABULOUS! The hot waffles as they are coming off of the griddle are to die for.
Conceirce, front desk, bellmen, were all wonderful. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stunning hotel, spacious hotel room (larger than a Manhattan one-bedroom 650 sq ' box), beautiful desk area, spacious bathroom with separate shower stall, beautifully designed, sumptuous breakfast of all nationalities (see my other reviews of five star China hotels), accommodating staff, free Wi-Fi in the lounge, but makes for an interesting experience, and if you're on a tour, nice place to re-group... well-worth the stay... electric conversion outlets in the room, European and American - no need for separate converter... just plug it in...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in June 2013 and were very pleased. It has all the usual features for a hotel in this class; e g very nice rooms and bathrooms, pool, gym, restaurants, nice service, but the thing that suprised us a bit was the very relaxed and cosy lounge area. You could just hang there and have a drink when it rained outside or have afternoon tea. They also had smaller meals. There was also a very nice coffe shop where you could buy a lighter breakfast or some pastries. The whole area was very welcoming and nice to 'chill' in.

We can also recommend the Bistro restaurant where they serve a huge and very tasty buffee. You also get a bucket of Carlsberg bears included in the price (about 300 RMB).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed June 27, 2013

First of all hotel is nice but for the same budget I would choose the Renaissance Yu Garden hotel as well from the Marriott group. If of course you need a bigger swimming pool and like to have a massive huge excecutive floor then it is the better choice. Excecutive food I like in Renaissance for example more. The hotel room style is a bit old school strange for me. Washing sink super small. All in all OK

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Singapore
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Of all the five star hotels in Shanghai Puxi this is one of the finest. Staff is welcoming, rooms nicely decorated, good quality, very clean. Location right in the center. Only downsides are that the Lounge on 37th feels like a cafeteria (it needs a stylish upgrade) and taxi drivers (2 of 3 I used) are not (yet?) familiar with the hotel and the road. Even the small card the hotel gives just for that does not help and the small map on the back is printed too small. Solution: bring a bigger map or use your iPhone/GPS....
Still, conclusion, this could become my favorite when I come back.

• Stayed June 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Marriott City Centre might be a relatively new hotel among the big hotels in Shanghai, but I'm impressed by not just the efficiency of the event manager, Ms. Carry during my business conference but the ever helpful Concierge staff whom not only ran errands for ad-hoc requests but also took good care of me when I was sick on my last day.

Location - walking distance to The People's Park, Nanjing East Road, shopping malls etc. Clean, wide spread of breakfast, good staff whom understand English and their efficiency you will enjoy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Beautiful, shiny hotel in a bustling, busy location – easy walking distance to subway and Nanjing Pedestrian Mall. Many restaurants around, including Pizza Hut. I walked from here to Yu Yuan Garden, which is a good hike.
First the positives:
- This is a stunning property. Spotlessly clean, everything shining. Beautiful.
- Well located, although the drive-up entrance can be tricky to find, tucked away on a side street.
- Large, stylish, comfortable room. Very clean.
- Warm, friendly staff in Java Café. (meaning, the girls who helped me smiled back & seemed friendly)
- Nice café where you can grab a quick bite to eat and a beverage. Easy access to the street – also outdoor seating if you want to watch the world go by.

Some minor negatives:
- One morning I decided to splurge and try the breakfast buffet (typically very pricey). The staff there were unobservant and overzealous – I checked out the part of the buffet line closest to my seat and brought back a yogurt, banana, and another few things, then left them at my place, along with my newspaper, to see what was on the other side of the buffet line. When I returned to my seat a couple of minutes later, everything had been removed and a new place setting laid. (!) The yogurt & banana were not even opened (so it should have been obvious I was returning), and unfortunately that was the last banana to be seen – they never brought anymore out (it was later morning). I was surprised and angry – what a waste of food and my time, as I had to go back to the buffet and “recreate” my plate. Not to mention the fact that I wanted to read my paper. (They brought another.) That was an unfortunate way to start the breakfast buffet experience. Aside from that, overall, I found the selection extensive, but rather ho-hum and disappointing, especially considering the price. It was not worth it.
- The sheets on my bed were rough - very surprising. Not what I expected at all from such a gorgeous place with such attention to detail. I assume that was not the norm.
- The price to use the internet at the business center was twice that of my previous hotel (here 2 RMB per minute). When I came to the business center one evening to check my e-mail, I saw there was only about 15 minutes left until they closed. I confirmed the price would be 2 x 15 minutes. No, they said I would have to pay for 30 minutes – even though you’re only open for 15? Yes. (It’s a minimum charge, which my previous hotel did not have either.) They said there was no way in their system they could only charge me for 15 minutes. I found that to be ridiculous and poor customer service. I went straight down to the lobby, where I had to wait to talk to a manager. He apologized and called up to the business center so I could use the last few minutes without paying for 30. (So if you were on the computer for seven minutes to check something quickly, you would pay 60 RMB vs 7 RMB at the other hotel I stayed at in Shanghai on the same trip.)
- Also, and this was odd, there was a faint sewer smell in the bathroom. I noticed it but didn't think much of it until I was in the lobby at the counter to check out, and a lady next to me commented about the "sewer smell" in her bathroom. So there was some sort of an issue going on. But it was very faint, and only right by the toilet area.

Note also, this being a central Shanghai location, the traffic can be bad. If you’re walking or taking the subway, you’ll be happier.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Marriott-CIty-Centre, General Manager at Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you very much for taking time to share with us your recent experience at the Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre. We take all reviews very seriously and I am investigating regarding your comments about our breakfast service, business centre, and guest room bathroom. Your feedback is highly valued and will be used to help us make improvements.