Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre
Ranked #15 of 5,160 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This is a very good hotel and excellent value for money. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and have all of the regular amenities you`d expect of a five star hotel, albeit, kept to the bare minimum. Case and point, there are only 2 coffee pouches for the French coffee press in the room, one regular, one decaf. The press takes twice the amount of water that one coffee pouch requires, and will only make one cup of coffee.

I was not disturbed by housekeeping throughout my stay. This I like alot. However, this is taken to the other extreme when no turn-down service was provided during my entire stay. Arriving back to my room each night to draw curtains and try and figure out how the complicted lighting system works. Easy solution, run across to the room card slot, remove card, and leap into bed fast, before everything turns off!!!

The restaurants are very nice indeed, and I enjoyed breakfast on the third floor level. The offerings are far superior to that of the sister property JW across the square. The bar in the lobby serves draft Stella artois at 101RMB inclusive of tax. That`s around US$16 for your 33cl pour!
Seriously folks?

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,853)

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I visited Shanghai on April 16 - April 19, 2013. Before I decided to stay at this hotel, I was actually contemplating the idea of staying at the Ritz-Carlton. But I made the right decision by staying at the Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre. Their location is one the reasons why I finally chose them. The hotel is strategically located in the city centre. It is within walking distance to People's Square and Nanjing Road pedestrian street. Upon arrival, the concierge was very helpful. The check-in process was fast and efficient. They have staffs all over the lobby who are so eager in helping the guests. For example: I walked toward the concierge desk and there were 2 staffs who approached me and asking what they can do for me. The room is excellent. It's not that big but it feels like my own room.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 20, 2013

The Marriott is well-situated right by People's Square, making it very convenient for both business and leisure travelers. I thought that the room was very spacious, with comfortable beds and large bathrooms. It made for a very comfortable stay. The gym is good, but not great. Overall, I would definitely considering staying again at this Marriott. There are many very good high-end international hotels on the Puxi side of Shanghai, and this is one of them.

Room Tip: I stayed in this hotel on Marriott Rewards points, and it is a bargain at only 20,000 points per nig...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Excellent service
Terrific staff
Lovely gym
Great food
Seems new and the in room extas like VGA and audio cables for the tv laptop connections were a bonus
Solid conference venue with good facilities and management
It's been a lovely stay and we would definitely come back to this hotel again

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

So here I am at the shanghai Marriott
Have been here on business and at a conference. both as a guest and conference attendee this hotel has been terrific . Conference amenities are excellent
The gym is great, the food is fresh fresh fresh
The staff are attentive and always happy.

After a long day out I find myself looking forward to getting back to the hotel- not something I have ever experienced before
Good one Marriott

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 18, 2013

On business It is close to shops, no noise from the busy streets in your room, surrounded By very god restaurants. Staff are friendly and English is spoken. The one bad thing is the high prices of beer at the hotel bar.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Overall, it was really good. I am actually writing this review from the exec lounge where it is a good place to relax, have a cup of tea and rest. The location is fantastic and the room is very comfortable. The swimming pool is very nice too. Exec lounge was ok generally.

We did not have a pleasant experience during check in though. The guy named Gary took forever to locate our booking and was confused about the details of our booking. When we eventually had to give him a print out of our booking (which we never had to in other five star hotels), he wanted to keep it as a proof of our booking. Why? We asked if he has any record of our booking in the system. He said yes. Then what is the problem? Even with the print out, he had problem confirming the requirement of our booking. He said he needs to check with his manager about breakfast(which seems totally ridiculous to me as everything is clearly written in the booking). Of course, he did not get back to us as we had no idea what he needed to check in the first place. This is simply not good enough in a five star hotel. We were tired when we checked in. The hotel promised express check in for exec room but it did not happen. It was so different from the five start hotel we checked in in Beijing. We were in the exec lounge with drinks while checking in. Anyway, the only complaint is the check in process. We did not expect to have to tell the receptionist what sort of benefits we are entitled to. Not in a Marriot Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Marriott-CIty-Centre, General Manager at Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Thank you very much for taking time to share with us your recent experience at the Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre. We take all reviews very seriously and we'd like to assure you that we are investigating into your comments about your check in experience. Your feedback is highly valued and will be used to help us make improvements.