Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre
$234
$217
JW Marriott
  • Pool
The Kunlun Jing An(Shanghai)
$144
$336
$209
Trip.com
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $246/night.

$387
$326
Waldorf Astoria
2,087 results
All reviewsthe executive loungenanjing roadpeople's squaregreat hotelwalking distancepeople's parklounge accessexcellent locationbreakfast buffetjapanese restauranthigh floorconcierge deskcorner roomrooms are largefitness centerbusiness tripsubway station
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I ended up staying at the Shanghai Marriott City Centre recently on a business visit. The location is very good. quite close tot he Bund area and within easy taxi distance to most places that I had to visit in Shanghai. Service levels were good and the restaurant options are diverse and good. The gym is of high standard as seems to be the pool even though I did not use it. A bit on the pricier side. The club facilities left somewhat to be desired.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Marriott Hotel City Centre Shanghai is a very new hotel, when I visited the hotel it had just opened; rooms are spacious and well equipped. The only problem is language not all speak English or can understand you well. The best way is to call the concierge who are well spoken and will help you translate the requirement to other departments in the local language.

When you step out the hotel don’t forget to take the hotel address and location in Chinese, the hotel has a card printed for this purpose which is a really great thought.

Location is quite central and is close to shopping areas

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Samy145
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Excellent hotel in a terrific location. The hotel is new, having only opened in November 2011. Staff were very helpful and courteous. Hotel room was spacious, clean, well equipped and had a great view of the city. English is generally well spoken and the Concierge will help with local information, maps and ordering larger taxis (if you have a lot of people or luggage). The hotel is close to the Nanjing Pedestrian shopping precinct, the Metro and the Big Bus Tours stop. The gym is adequate with a good sauna and steam room. The Executive floor breakfast was far more than the "Continental" breakfast advertised. So, if you have Marriott status or pay extra, take advantage of this.The Executive lounge was well stocked with breakfast food (including eggs cooked to order), soft drinks and juices all day long and heavy canapes in the evening. Happy hour there is from 5:50pm to 9:30pm! In the adjacent newly opened mall, there are some good restaurants, good food and good price, on the second and third floors.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GStant
Reviewed October 31, 2012

While this hotel has some strengths, it is not my favorite in Shanghai so far. No one con was a dealbreaker, but overall it was not my best hotel stay.

Pros: The location is good if you want to be near to People's Square.
The room itself was clean and generally comfortable. The bathroom was a good size, and the shower and tub were nice.

The spa had a great special when I arrived - aromatherapy massage, facial, and body scrub for 588 yuan - for about 2 hours of relaxation I thought that was a good rate!

I booked airport transfers through the hotel - my driver on the way to the airport was fantastic, very friendly and professional.

Cons:

The design of the hotel is rather tall and narrow, so everything is stacked on top of each other -this means there aren't any really grand/striking areas or places to congregate. There is a lounge but it does not really create a warm environment. The lifts get very busy (I was staying on a high floor, there was often a wait.

When I arrived, one of the night lights under a nightstand would not turn off. I had to request an electrician to come and fix it, which was looked after quickly.
The health centre is quite small for the size of the hotel, and variety of equipment is limited (but it is clean).

The doorways to the corridor were not well insulated, so you could clearly hear guests having loud conversations if they were in the hall - same for when housekeeping was making their way up and down the hallway announcing themselves to guests.

The breakfast had a fairly good variety of items, but the service was not that great - I sometimes had to wait to get seated (even though tables were not full) and when I did I did not always receive a placemat/napkin/cutlery, so I'd have to go get them from other tables

I am a Marriott Rewards Member and provided my number at time of booking- however they tried to charge me for internet on my bill until I queried what the charge was- then it was quickly removed.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank BostonianAU
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Hotel is new and impressive as a 4 start hotel in Asia (not really 5 as they claim). The staff is eager to assist from front desk to concierge to lounge staff wi.th the exception of the restaurant, which is just terrible. As Gold member, I was upgraded to very nice large corner room and given lounge access with the option of breakfast in the main restaurant too. The lounge is very large with excellent staff ready to assist with whatever you need with very good English skills. The variety and quality of food was excellent particularly compared with a U.S. Marriott lounge, which I usually find worthless. The front desk staff jumped through hoops without me asking when they couldn't find my reservation. Again, all had excellent English skills (avoiding any communication frustrations) and were there to assist and solve problems, not create problems. There was more than enough staff everywhere to assist guests, which I was surprised to find at other properties was not always the case given that where wages are low, additional staff seems to be the norm. The health club was very good with a great indoor pool and jacuzzi and separate locker rooms with sauna and steam rooms. What I learned on this trip is that when the Chineese say something closes at say 10pm, what they mean is they will try and lock the door at that and thus will need to be cleaning up and getting you out prior to then. Although this was true in the health club, the restaurant was the worst. I think breakfast allegedly ends at 10 or 10:30. They will seat you if you show up 15 minutes before this time, but half the food will have been taken away, the guy making eggs may have already cleaned and vacated his station, and those items are just not available to you. Most appalling to me was that they charged nearly $30 and still treated guests this way. Mentally I understand that stems from communism, but within an American hotel charging these prices I would have thought management would retrain staff who wish to work here as they have in the rest of the hotel. If you show up early enough, there is an extensive offering of food especially if you want to try a huge variety of Asian breakfast items. If you're looking for American fare, it is sufficient, but no better than any 3 star hotel breakfast with cold waffles or french toast, a few pastries, cereal and an egg station. The hotel is very close to the pedestrian zone and is walkable, but a bid of a distance to the bund. We found ourselves taking a cab almost everywhere and never tried the subway as we had limited time. Cabs are cheap and we never experienced a problem w/ one not wanting to use the meter or having a tampered with meter that charged us more than we thouht was normal. Most rides will be well under $10 even if 20+ minutes.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Marriott-CIty-Centre, General Manager at Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback about our hotel. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay and our hotel facilities. We highly value all feedback and your comments will be used to help us make improvements in our service.

We look forward to your next stay at the Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre.