“Good food in good atmosphere”

Shanghai Grandmother
Ranked #39 of 17,110 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Bund
Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

The restaurant is quite nice and serves very good dishes.
The name on the restaurant is Grandmother as it's what Laolao means in chinese ;-)

Reviewed November 16, 2012

My wife and I were in Shanghai for 10 days and ate at this restaurant on several occasions. We tried several other restaurants recommended on TA, some of which I have reviewed and some I havent. We however kept coming back to this restaurant. We found the food to be very flavoursome and all ingredients extremely fresh. My wife kept making particular comment regarding the freshness of all the vegetables. The restaurant is not flash/fancy to look at however it is a local establishment for predominantly locals. Therefore when you arrive you will probably be one of a few (if not the only) westerner there. It was always busy when we went and sometimes we had to wait for a table. As their customers are mostly local, their english (as you would expect) is a bit patchy however we always managed to get our message through along with a laugh or two. One other thing worth mentioning is that the beer served is always icy cold and that, for me, is hard to beat.

I read some previous reviews about patchy service. All I can say is that our experience(s) were that service was always prompt and food came out when expected.

The only negative comment is that smoking is allowed here. If you are a non smoker, stick with a ground floor table as the cigarette smoke rises and collects on the second floor where there are more dining tables.

I have no hesitation recommending this restaurant to those interested in quality food and wishing to spend some time with some locals at mealtime. Most meals (for two including large beer each) was around 180-200RMB total. Give it a try.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

We ate here with a party of 8 on a weeknight. The food was plentiful and inexpensive. Not gourmet, but a good value so close to the Bund. Cash only.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Straightforward, quite large menu with pictures makes it easy to order. Food is good but not great. Service is polite but quite slow...dishes come out when they want to, not when you want them to! Restaurant prices are exceptionally reasonable. Place was packed on a Wednesday night, we had reservations but I think not necessary as tables turned over regularly.

The asparagus and shrimp dish is worth noting, very light saute so that the freshness of both ingredients comes through in a shining manner.

1  Thank MMA888
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

Very good food. Although they do stagger when the dishes come out and the service is not great. I got the crispy duck and really enjoyed it. My wife got the tofu with cucumbers which she really enjoyed. Overall we would recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank Tapered