“Decent food but...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of PinWei XinXiLan

PinWei XinXiLan
Ranked #2,363 of 16,842 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: International, New Zealand
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Jing'an
Description: New Zealand cuisine
Shanghai, China
“Decent food but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

For what you pay (and I reckon I'm one of their most regular customers so I can say this), a smile from the staff wouldn't go a miss. Some training in international customer standards would enhance the brand of this place...which is really good for breakfast/brunch. But some of the staff are a bit zombified to say the least. This morning I had someone using a dirty mop to do the floors (and bits of of my feet...) whilst customers were in. Ok...but I paid 160 rmb for coffee and breakfast. Get the software right...it'll do the business some good...

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Shanghai
“Cozy breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

I've been there few times already and I must say I love to enjoy my breakfast at Little Huia!
Cozy ambient and nice food (especially the Eggs Benedict -a must try) make it one of my favorite place in DaGu rd.

• Visited May 2013
Sao Paulo, SP
“What a nice surprise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

We were in the same street for another restaurant which was closed in a monday night. We decided to check Little Huia and it was an excellent experience to be repeated! Excellent starters, steaks and drinks. The execution and taste are so suprisingly good! Have only good words and good souvenir of this small restaurant in Shangai! Also good for a romantic dinner.

• Visited March 2013
Los Angeles
“Good food. Service? Not so much.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

Good food, reasonable prices, lousy service. Typical Shanghai experience. Actually staff was pleasant, but just not trained in western practice of timing how to get food out to one party at the same time. Could tell my order went to another table who arrived after us. We were in no rush, just hungry. Good coffee, blueberry pancakes, breakfast sandwich, pleasant atmosphere. Want to go back to try the burger.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Shanghai, China
“Worst Experience in terms of service EVER!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I would like to share with you all my experience , which was perhaps the worst dining experience I have ever had, in China and abroad. And I do mean the absolute worst experience I have ever had in nearly 40 years of dining.

When dining at a Western restaurant, especially in China, one has certain expectations, such as service quality, food quality, etc as their is a premium on price. In this particular case, on April 3, 2013, between 12:00 - 13:00 I was dining with my friend. I ordered the Seafood pasta, which comes with spaghetti, mixed seafood, and tomato sauce. A reasonable expectation is that I could have a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese to go on top of it. When I asked for it, I was informed that it would cost an additional 10 RMB (on a 40 RMB pasta dish). I asked if there was anything she could do as I found this ridiculous, and she tersely told me that this is what they charge and that although you can get cheese on your pasta at other restaurants, at this restaurant the pasta does not include any cheese.

My request, in my mind, is completely reasonable, and charging 25% of the value of a dish for a sprinkle of cheese is quite ridiculous. But more importantly, the attitude towards me was rather off-putting. Ultimately I did not eat the meal I ordered as I felt it was not to my satisfiaction. When the bill came, I told the waiter I would pay for the one meal my friend ordered, and the coke i drank, but not the pasta. Thus I laid down 70 RMB of the 110 RMB total bill. We went to leave and they said I could not go and I had to pay the full bill. I said if they wanted me to pay they can call the police to handle it and I would be next door buying DVDs.

Ten minutes later, the police showed up and we had a discussion. In the end, the waiter gave me my pasta to-go WITH the cheese (as the police officer told them to add the cheese) and I settled the bill by adding another RMB 40 to the money I already gave.

Ultimately, the staff was unwilling to do anything to compromise over a very small item (cheese)in order to make the customer happy and enjoy their meal (cheese is something very much expected when ordering a tomato based pasta - at least it is my expectation) and the staff did not even try to "do right by the customer". In the end, i received the Cheese and the pasta to go, thus nothing was accomplished by their attitude EXCEPT for the fact that they have lost a very long term customer and I am now writing this review.

Maybe it is policy not to provide a sprinkle of cheese on a tomato based pasta dish at their organization, but the way in which the staff handled it was, in my opinion, not very appropriate. If they had tried to come up with some amicable way to solve the issue I would have been open to it. But instead they were unwilling to do anything because I "...did not order cheese pasta" and told me I just had to pay. In the end, they called the police to settle the matter and still ended up giving me the cheese. Thus they ruined a very long term client's relationship (I had been going their since it first opened and I frequent the other restaurant owned by the same person) with their organization and as i thought they did something to my food, i didn't eat it, so in the end I also had to go some place else for lunch. It was a lose / lose situation.

• Visited April 2013