“It was perfect. Why did it have to become obscenely expensive?”
Review of The Cathay Room

The Cathay Room
Ranked #96 of 17,048 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: European, French, Italian, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Bund
Description: Step back into an era of European fine-dining elegance, with stellar service and sparkling Bund views from the terrace, The Cathay Room transports guests back almost a century in time to a glamorous bygone era. The Cathay Room has been Shanghai’s premier dining address since the 30's, not only for its food delicacies but also for its status as a much celebrated, high profile social institution. Originally established as the Grill House in 1933, the Cathay Room was where hotel founder and eccentric global traveller, Sir Victor Sassoon, dined with his highbrow friends in true style. Global leaders, celebrities and socialites came for the perfect dining experience, enjoying the exceptional quality of service and unsurpassed Bund panoramas. Today, the revived Cathay Room embodies the same values of culinary vision, service excellence and social dining. Chef Joshua selects the finest seasonal ingredients from organic and ecological producers for her inspired creations that overwhelm guests’ taste buds with a dash of haute cuisine flair. Lunch Set Menu is served from 12 pm until 2:30 pm. Authentic European classics and contemporary creations highlight premium cuts of meat and seafood accompanied by fresh seasonal vegetables and salads. Since developing its passion for excellence in 1929, The Cathay Room’s extensive wine list features more than 250 European and New World labels, including a large selection of medium and full-bodied reds for perfect matching of the prime cuts of meat.
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have been enjoying Sunday brunch at the Cathay Room for years. I was one of their first customers and have seen the brunch evolve from interesting, to perfect, to overpriced.

The staff is always amiable and service impeccable. The room is small and the staff can really focus on making your experience unique.

The view and location are amazing even after years of visiting. Now that winter days are coming you will enjoy the terrace less (expect for a quick smoke maybe) but the view remains.

What convinced me to come for years, but now disappoints me is the food. The brunch option is simple: buffet for starters and desserts, and you chose one main from the menu. The starter buffet is good, but nowhere near the top 5 in the city (keep in mind that it is a small 2m long affair, not a 50m buffet like in some other hotels). The mains are varied and good enough to keep you coming a few times. Desserts are now a joke. I wouldn't even call the 5 pastries a selection. What a shame.

As much as I appreciate the free aperitif cocktail, the oysters and (average) foie gras, I can't help thinking that management got greedy when they raised their price 30% overnight last summer. Not worth it anymore. The great lobster eggs Benedict don't cut it anymore!

There are newer reviews for The Cathay Room

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Certainly one of the best views of the River and Pudong area from the outside terrace! I enjoyed seeing all the brightly lit river boats at night. The food was fine but not exceptional. The price were commensurate with the view. Significant distraction in the dining room from a crying baby was nicely handled by the staff. They also moved us the nicer available table after initial rather awkward seating.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

It's really a nice trip in the restaurant in my life. I always perfer to having dinner in a refine environment and I believe Cathay Room is the right one. The Salmon is quite fresh and delicious. By the way, Cathay's service is so good, I guess their training system is standard and rigorous. I think I will be the regulars.

Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Nice and decent place,beautiful view of the the bund! Service and food are good, the terrace is amazing! Highly recommend !

Reviewed October 12, 2013

As a resident of Shanghai, I love the Peace Hotel ....It's where I take visitors to step back in time a bit to get the feel of Old Shanghai. Mr. Sassoon's former residence has been restored and renovated to blend the beauty of Art Deco with today's modern China...

So hopes were high when I first dined at the Cathay room...on an evening before National Day festivities with fireworks we were all to enjoy after dinner on the balcony...

Beautiful room, good Staff, excellent views of the Bund and Huangpu....Romantic or just for an elegant setting BUT I believe many of the guests were not dressed appropriately for the type of dining experience that The Cathay Room wishes to portray. I was actually offended when they seated a young man in sweat pants and t-shirt carrying his gym bag???with his dining partner very casually into her smartphone the entire time(but who can blame her?) He also rudely relieved himself of what must have been an unbearable itch in his crotch several times during our time there or was he just bored?

This really ruined our visit, as more guests arrived in trainers and shall I say, " unsmart casual?" When clearly most diners were more appropriately dressed...

It lowered the Room substantially and I would recommend more stringent observance of their recommended dress code.

The food was good...but not great. In fact, the chocolate orange mousse had no flavour at all....but my husband enjoyed his steak...Our son's lobster ravioli was good, my fish very nice BUT the accompanying vegetables were all uniformly reduced to pea-sized pellets which really denied me the enjoyment of eating VEGETABLES! It even affected their taste, but that must be psychological.......Eating tiny orange and white pellets was unpleasant....

This restaurant has some issues...Not my first choice for a special evening out...They need to insist on a dress code, calm down the music( considerably...too loud and a bit fast for trying to have an elegant, relaxing meal)and tell the Chef that the food is the star of the plate....not his knife technique or clever paring of flavors( or lack there of).....