“used to be good....”

Cuisines: International, Healthy
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Jing'an
Description: Downstairs at URBN, like the city of Shanghai, is where the East and West converges. Its unique blend of international fare and local influences is backed by inspiration from the world’s cultures and true innovation. Staying true to the heart of URBN, Downstairs incorporates environmentally aware and healthy eating philosophies into the menu.Located on the ground floor of URBN, Downstairs boasts an outdoor courtyard surrounded by lush green ivy walls and verdant bamboo. An urban oasis far removed from the hustle and bustle of Shanghai, you’ll almost forget that you’re in one of the world’s biggest metropolises.As an all day dining venue, Downstairs is great for weekend brunches (one of the most popular spots in Shanghai!), quiet business lunches and intimate al-fresco dinner dates. Or our favourite of all, is to spend a day having afternoon tea in our charming outdoor courtyard with friends, during the glorious summer time.Keep your eyes peeled for our monthly drink and food specials, or choose to hold your next party at Downstairs for an unforgettable experience.
Reviewed December 24, 2013

avoid....no longer the nice restaurant it used to be..... below average food and service.... not worth it any more

Reviewed October 31, 2013

This restaurant has to be given one dot for the entrance and the cake they offercfor desert. But that is about it, as you should neither order the risotto, nor the lasagne or a simple espresso.
We had a very unfortunate experience and went to Downstairs on a recommendation of friends. It was more than pathetic, as both dishes we had had nothing to do with what they were offered. The risotto was a overcooked rice cake and lasagne of no taste. When the cold espresso came, we had enough. The prices for wines, we do not want to mention and therefore conclude that this was our last visit there. Service ok, but has to be called for orders or cleaning up table...What a pity for this location.
Best at the end: from the restaurant you can look into the kitchen. When we left a guy in jeans and polo shirt was busy deboning a mountain of chicken. Hygiene standards, not acceptable.

1  Thank RSF15
URBN_GM, General Manager at Downstairs, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Dear RSF15:

Thank you for taking the time to share with us the details of your experience at Downstairs. I am very sorry to hear about the ways in which we disappointed you, as well as ourselves. I know we are capable of doing much better. As we came as a recommendation, I believe that your experience was a very unfortunate, yet infrequent situation.

I will speak to the Chef and Restaurant Manager about the issues you found with our dishes and our staff attentiveness. I hope that you will accept my apologies. I can promise that we will take your feedback and use it to improve the quality of our restaurant.

Best,
Claire

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have been for dinner, breakfast and brunch. I haven't been disappointed on any occasion but I specifically recommend the brunch.
Perfect place for a relaxed brunch with friends or family in the Jing'an district. Food is of very good quality and price is decent, the settings is so relaxing, there was a cool live band playing and the service is very good as well.

URBN_Hotel, General Manager at Downstairs, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Dear lpb_38

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. We are grateful that you have been such a great supporter of us and we hope to continue to provide you with the consistency in food quality and service that you have come to expect from the Downstairs team. The terrace right now is absolutely lovely now the heat in Shanghai has turned down a few notches.

Hope to see you soon!

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We were 4 persons for a Sunday brunch. We had a delicious apple pie, pu'er tea, a burger, benedict eggs and fresh juices. Cuisine was excellent and the service also very nice. I recommend this restaurant for a brunch with friends or family.

Dear Camile Lux,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a complimentary review on us. We are glad that you and your guests enjoyed your Sunday Brunch especially our eggs Benedict as they are the best in Shanghai!

We also do some great mid-week specials if you are in the area, hope to see you again soon back at Downstairs.

Best Regards,

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I had a business lunch here and we decided to go for the set menu grill lunch. First pick is from the salad buffet. My recommendation is TAKE A LOT. The salad bar is followed by the main dish of your choice (meat, vegetable or fish). This portion is extremely small. Good thing is you can go back to the salad bar again, but...... Other option and maybe this is what they prefer is to take a dessert. The cheese cake was good. Other dishes that were served looked better. I will give it another try, but order from the menu list.

URBN_Hotel, General Manager at Downstairs, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Dear Ronald D

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. We are happy that you enjoyed the quality of the BBQ express lunch set but are sorry to hear that the quantity of the grill was not up to your standards. The portion sizes of the express lunch have been set accordingly to provide a quick light lunch for business guests such as yourself. However this should be more clearly stated, we are in the process of reprinting the menus to clearly state the size of the grilled food to avoid this situation from happening again. Do please let me know next time you are in so you can allow me to buy you a drink.

Kindest Regards,