“Reliable”

Shanghai Blue Mountain Bund Youth Hostel
Hong Kong, China
“Reliable”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

This place was spot on. Had all that I needed, and service was exceptionally cheerful. Whilst I was there, there was a traveller who was singing his own songs too. Taxis weren't far, metro was right opposite the road, so location was extremely convenient.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I spent 3 nights here, and I had a good experience. I stayed in an 8 bed female dorm, which was very clean, and lockers big enough for a large bag were provided, along with a lock if you needed it. The bathrooms and showers were fine as well (although there were those little flies in the showers). The staff spoke English and were very helpful. One wrote down my train ticket information in Mandarin so I could make sure to buy the correct tickets at the train ticket office, which is conveniently right across the street. Unfortunately, wifi is not available in the dorms, only in the common areas. However, the location is really central near Nanjing Road and the Bund, and it's an easy walk from the metro/easy to find as long as you know that it is in a building with other businesses as other reviewers have mentioned. It's near a bunch of tasty local restaurants too (don't be intimidated by the lack of English/pictures - you can just walk in and point to other people's food!) I felt quite safe as a female solo traveler, and I would definitely recommend this hostel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2014

The hostel is in a very good location for exploring Shanghai. The rooms with the balconies are not exactly as nice as on the pictures, but nice enough to pay the higher price. The drawback of the hotel is that it is located with several other low budget accommodations in a high-rise building (on the 6th floor, other hotels 3-5th floor). There is only one elevator serving floors 1-11 and the lift-control is crazy enough to pick you up in the 6th floor, showing an arrow downwards, but going then up to the 11th floor and stopping on each floor to pick up people on its way down. It took us sometimes 10 minutes to leave the building. There was also maintenance work when we were there and we had only hot water at one day between 0:00 and 7:00am? Since we had to leave early to catch our train it was difficult to take a shower with only hot water. I don't know how long the maintenance really went on that day. Probably longer than announced.

We got either bitten by bed bugs or their washing powder for the bed linen is very aggressive. We investigated the linens and the mattress closely but couldn't find any bugs. So there are either invisible mites or perhaps the washing powder? The itching tiny spots on our legs vanished after 24h and never came back (hence I suspect that we did not get contaminated by any parasites.). I have no idea what the reason for the reaction was, but it was apparently somehow related to the bed...?

The street from the hostel to Nanjing Rd has some of the best local places to eat in Shanghai. The crayfish restaurant (they call them "tiny lobster") is very nice but crowded.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We spent 4 nights there. We arrived on 1 May and what hit us first was a terrible smell of paint that gave us an instant headache. We had a private room opposite the bar and reception, the smell there was a little bit less intense but it stayed with us till the last day.
The room was big enough for the two of us, quite quiet and had a nice view. The internet connection was not too bad.
A very good thing about this hostel is its proximity to the underground and the Bund.

There were some things that we did not like:
There was no room service, and by the third day we ran out of the shower gel, and rubbish started piling up. However, when asked for fresh towels, the receptionist delivered them immediately.
No luggage storage, which was a real problem for us. We had to check out until 12 o’clock and because we could not leave our suitcase and a huge backpack in the hotel, we had to carry them with us until the end of the day (we were leaving Shanghai in the evening). When we had asked at the reception, they did not suggest any alternative storage.

Room Tip: If you want to have decent internet access, choose a room close to the reception area. And if there...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

Located comfortably 5 minutes from metro and 10 from the bund. This is a great hostel, very clean and comfortable. Staff are friendly and bar/patio are great places to hang out. Would definitely come back.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I booked a 3 night stay here over Chinese Labor Day. The first night was fine but my room started smelling like toxic chemicals the next morning. I believe this was paint thinner. I asked the reception desk when the smell would go away and they told me it would last during my whole stay. After learning this there was no chance I would stay here 2 more nights and continue breathing in the strong paint thinner smell.

Because of the holiday every hostel was fully booked and I ended up having to pay for a much more expensive hotel. To make things worse the hostel would not refund my remaining 2 nights. I booked this with Agoda using a credit card and Agoda was only able to refund the 3rd night. I just filed a charge back with my credit card company to try and get a refund for the 2nd night. I have stayed at 30+ hostels before including several in China and this is the first time I ever had to check our early. Worst hostel experience ever.

Room Tip: There are several other hostels in Shanghai which are much better than this. I dont know why this ho...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Situated just 5/10 minutes from the Bund, and less than 300 metres away from the metro, the Youth Hostel is in the perfect location.There are plenty of shops nearby to help you get your morning dumpling fix and the staff are very helpful.The dorms are a good size, and don't feel cramped.Plenty of toilets and showers, so you never have to wait long. They have a pool table and a common room where they screen movies in case you need to kill some time. Great value for money.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo