“Nice and easy!”

Shanghai Blue Mountain Bund Youth Hostel
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Clean and comfortable. Don't go expecting a whole lot and you'll have a good stay.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed May 1, 2011

We stated at both BM Bund and also BM Luban. Both BM hostels are great, clean and very friendly places to stay. BM Bund is in a fantastic location, right in the centre of Shanghai with many of the sights within a couple of minutes walking distance. We found BM Luban had a more relaxed atmosphere where is was very easy to meet new people in the bar area. We would definately recommend staying at both the BM hostels

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2011

Location is its strongest point - 5 to 10 minutes on foot to the nearest metro station (E. Nanjing Rd). Rooms are falrly clean and functional. Beware that one of the twin private rooms has a HUGE square pillar right smack IN THE MIDDLE of the room. Because of the size of the pillar, the twin room ends up being really tiny and there's not much space to move around (the attached bathroom looks so much more spacious than the room itself, relatively speaking!!).

Service standard is erratic. Some staff are more service-oriented than others so it depends on your luck who's on duty that day (oops). In terms of value for money, I can't say that the private ensuite rooms are worth what you pay for (except for the dorms which are basically quite cheap - like in nearly all hostels anyway). The common sitting/bar area is used for external conferences/presentations on some days so you won't be able to mingle with other travellers at that space during those period.

For better room facilities and services, there are cheaper and better alternatives (ie hotels) further away from the main shopping street.

1  Thank TravellingApe
Reviewed April 30, 2011

I stayed for a one-night layover and had just 24 hours to check out the many sights of Shanghai. This centrally-located hostel was the perfect base to explore the Bund, People's Park, Shanghai Museum, and the Jinmao Tower... all accessible with a short walk or metro ride. The staff gave great recommendations on sightseeing and food, and the room was so comfortable for a dorm! I will definitely return here on my next trip to Shanghai.

1  Thank ScreenNameTrip_Advis
Reviewed April 30, 2011

Stayed 3 nights while explore in Shanghai. Friedly & helpful staff, mid-night check-in available, so do giving travel & direction advices. Rooms are clean & well equiped, shared bathrooms are always cleaned. Though is hardly to find at 1st search (as it located at 6th floor of a commercial building), yet its a good location for travellers, walking distance to metro station & some attractions. Overall, it is a convenient & comfortable place to stay!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank yungwen
Reviewed April 28, 2011

A TOURIST'S NIGHTMARE

I have never been compelled to write a negative review on a hostel...until now. For the record, I have been traveling internationally since the age of five. On this particular trip I have been away from home for six months and stayed at countless hostels and guesthouses. A few of them were pretty bad but this one takes the cake.

I had been staying at this hostel on and off over a three week period. The girls at the front desk knew who I was and my room number without me having to tell them.

When I checked in for my second-to-last stay I told them that I would be away for one night later that week and then check-in for one last night (This would be the night before I left Shanghai for Osaka and was planning on doing my laundry at the hostel.). The girl at the desk said, "You can make the reservation when you check out", which I did. This is where it starts to get interesting: When I came to check-in for my last night the girl I checked out with was there and said I had no reservation! She then proceeded to lie to me to my face saying that when I checked out I was told that there would be a big group coming and that they might be full. Then when I reminded her that SHE was the one I made the reservation with she proceeded to lie to me to my face AGAIN!!! Then she asked me--as if pretending to be concerned--if I had another place to stay!! (Hint: If you were really concerned you would have helped me find an alternative and at the very least paid for the cab fare.)

If their internet actually worked I could have easily found another one on hostelworld.com within minutes. Luckily, I had a friend staying at another hostel who booked it for me and put me in touch with his place. If you did not know other people in Shanghai staying at another hostel you would have had to spend the rest of your last day trying to find a working Internet connection to book a hostel with nothing to wear!

The computers here are broken. When they are not completely broken the Internet is slower than dial-up Internet! You will get some sort of wireless signal on your device, however, this is misleading since it can take you all day to do anything on it if at all. You will try over and over again thinking that it will eventually work but it won't. It is common for people to try and use Skype and get dropped calls all the time. The reason for this is that their wireless router is hidden in the ceiling between the light fixtures and the concrete so the signal will always be too weak to use Skype. They want you to use their phone at the front desk and end up paying more than you would pay to stay there for one night! (At first, I refused to pay their rate on principal since every hostel should have a decent wireless connection. I asked the girls where I could get a calling card and they sent me to the China Mobile office a few blocks away. (China Mobile doesn't sell calling cards.) China Mobile sent me to China Telecom, which was out of calling cards. (You also cannot buy them online and use it with a Chinese cellphone.)) Just go to a hostel that has a decent connection. If you need to call your airline or another hostel or anyone it will be a major headache once you are here.

Their dryers are also broken. They literally take all day to dry. So between planning the next part of your trip and doing laundry you will easily waste two days of your time at this hostel (not including just checking your email etc.).

Half the time I noticed (and spoke to) people checking-in at the front desk with online reservations only to be told that the rooms they had booked were unavailable. Sometimes, they were asked to pay more for another room.

I could write more about this place but you get the picture. I don't intend on reading any response they might have since it doesn't matter. What happened--happened and there is no excuse for it. As far as I'm concerned I'm done with them.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank solotravelere
Reviewed April 26, 2011

This was my first hostel in Shanghai and I could not be more pleased.
The location, staff, cleanliness was amazing.
The atmosphere fantastic and I meet many solo travellers from all over the world!
If I will go back to Shanghai I will definetely stay again at Blue Mountain The Bund!