Shanghai Slim's
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Former French Concession
Description: From the creators of New York Style Steak & Burger, comes their new high end prime steak, lobster and seafood concept, called Shanghai Slims, featuring an oyster champagne bar, martini bar, and open kitchen, located in the new Sinan Mansion’s development. It is now open to the public.
Reviewed May 10, 2012

My wife and I happened by this place while we were strolling through Sinan Mansions around dinner time. There was no one sitting in the downstairs lounge area, so we stopped. I'm glad we did. The service was attentive without being distracting. We both ordered the 12 ounce ribeye, medium. It was cooked perfectly and seasoned very well. I liked the mashed potatoes. The missus thought they were too heavy. My steak was a little fattier than I would have liked, but not ridiculously so. My wife's steak had almost no fat at all.
I order a sangria, which was refreshing on a warm spring evening. My wife enjoyed her litchi martini. We would go back.

Reviewed May 8, 2012

The reviews here are controversial. I guess that every one has their own experience of a place - our was wonderful! Next time I'm in Shanghai I will definitely return there.
First of all, once you come in you can immediately enjoy the elegant setting - white maps, quiet music, dimmed lights, what else do you need? We were led to our table on the second floor, right by an exit to a small balcony (the light breeze from outside definitely added) in front of the biggest wine rack.
We had a botle of some Spanish red - I tried to find something affordable on the menu - as it was said before - the place is not cheap (at all). It was good i suppose, just like most Spanish wines.
We had the steak tartar to start, and it was delicious! Better then some tartars in well known restaurants in the US.
Hubby ordered the medium size entrecote, and it turned out to be huge. I had a filet wrapped in bacon. Usually I'm not a fan of any additions to my meat (not bacon not any kind of sauce), but this time I was pleasantly surprised. The meat was EXCELLENT! Cooked just the way we asked, mine was a perfect medium rare.
The plates looked really nice - nothing extra ordinary, but nice.
The service was good. There was always a waiter around to refresh our glass of water or to add more wine.
Price-wise not a cheap meal, but totally worth it. 1000 RMB for a couple + wine.

Reviewed March 25, 2012

My client and I were very excited to taste the month watering OSSO BUCO as was described in the menu. when served the meat tasted stale. We mentioned to the waitress, she tasted and took the meat to the kichen chef to taste and came back and said it tasted ok and the meat was precook 3 days ago and should be okay and we cannot retrun and have to pay for it..... what a collosal joke! a rip off to pay 260RMB for a 3 days old meat when it was suppose to be cooked fresh daily?

We left very disappointed... I would not even feed a stray dog!

2  Thank Lawrence H
Reviewed March 8, 2012

We went there for the set lunch - they served good pasta in decent portions, followed by a small salad and dessert. They are known for their seafood too but I found these to be a little on the expensive side, perhaps because they are located in Sinan Mansions, which touts itself as the next Xintiandi. While there, do take a walk around and check out the various dining and shopping options nearby.

Reviewed October 12, 2011

So I was out and about on the bike today as fall has arrived, and walked around the Sinan Mansions complex, and decided on the SET Lunch for 68RMB, a salad, choose 1 of 10 pasta dished and a dessert. I ordered the spicy shrimp, which some how was a oil based red sauce more from a Hot Pot place than a italian pasta sauce, it drowned out the shrimp and was too rich to even finish. Some people next to me got a white sauce pasta that looked nice, The salad and dessert were good. A beer is 35RMB, a tad pricey.

The interior is very nice, though it was such a nice day I sat outside, there are both regular tables and also lounge/cushion chairs/table.

Service was fine, almost all the tables were filled and no issues detected keeping up with everyones needs. Like Xintandi, this very sterile and visually pleasing outdoor mall, is really nice from a design point, but its kind of too nice, lacking any real authentic feel for such a nice design motif. They need more plants/trees or something.

The Johnnie Walker bar looks like a winner. And if you are really hankering for some great american southern chow, Boxing Cat is a sure bet, everything on the menu is stellar, including the great house brews...