“Solid transit hotel despite location”

Royal International Hotel
Ranked #101 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Melbourne
“Solid transit hotel despite location”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

This hotel was arranged through the airline as an overnight transit hotel and overall it was a reasonable choice.

The hotel is relatively new although quite a distance from pudong airport in the town of Chuansha. It's just over 20 min by free shuttle van/bus. We arrived late in the evening and the drive to the hotel was slightly worrying as the van drove past one deserted construction site after another before reaching the hotel itself.

Other than its isolated location the hotel was otherwise good. The standard room was spacious and relatively new. There was a huge bed and an equally cavernous bathroom. Breakfast was reasonably good although the staff insisted on only providing one breakfast coupon even though the room was a twin share and booking was for two (??!).

We felt this was a reasonable choice for a transit hotel. It's not particularly close to the airport although there is a free shuttle. It is certainly nowhere near Shanghai proper and probably not a great base for exploring Shanghai. We didn't have the time to explore the hotel as we simply spent the night and it is possible that the hotel had much more to offer had we stayed longer.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ozfrank

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Close to the airport, free shuttle bus, staff were helpful, lovely bathroom, couldn't fault the room, apart from no English speaking TV channels, but it was fun watching the Chinese ones! Only thing I would say is don't bother to go for a walk, because there is nothing else in the local area to do. Nice hotel and unbelievably good value for money, would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank pope182
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed here a few times on our work visits to Shanghai & I can't fault it. The rooms are very comfortable indeed. The breakfasts are tasty & the Japanese restaurant offers superb sushi. If you fancy a laugh on an evening you should try the KTV, we had the most hilarious night singing & didn't have far to stumble back to bed. We will be returning again.

• Stayed February 2014
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Really surprised at the quality of this hotel. Booked on Expedia and value very good indeed. Not so close to the airport but the shuttle takes only 20-25 minutes and is free.

Extremely well equipped and comfortable room.

Room Tip: When taking a taxi to the hotel from Pu Dong the driver lost the plot totally and took about 80 minu...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Saint Charles, Illinois
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I just stayed at this property on the evening of March 29th prior to my flight back to the States out of Pudong on the 30th. I had looked at previous Trip Advisor reviews on the hotel but still was a bit apprehensive about staying there. The hotel more than met my expectations and was an excellent value. I would not recommend it though for getting out and about the immediate area. However they did tell me that the property will be 5 to 10 minutes away from the new Disney project being built in the Shanghai region. If so, that could have an effect on room rates once Disney opens.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Just left the hotel to go to Pudong airport, 15 minutes by taxi (rush hour) although there is a hotel shuttle bus service. Stayed in 4 other 5 star hotels while in Shanghai and this was one of the best after The Marriot.

The service was the best I have ever received.
Food in the main restaurant was excellent.
Room was excellent, had a superior double with a great view of the front.

Everything you would expect from a 5 star hotel & very classy and comfortable.

Would highly recommend this hotel.

Not central to Shanghai though I think about 35 minutes drive.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Vicky C
Connecticut
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Royal International Hotel Shanghai is little far from the airport. They doesn't have regular airport shuttle bus schedule, the hotel web. can't leave the message. You have to call them. I stayed there for my flight transfer. I made a reservation for my arrival flight. My flight arrival Shanghai Pudong airport about 4:30pm.They can't coming to pick up around 5:20pm, because the driver needed to have dinner at that time. My reservation airport pick up was 6:20pm. After I got through the customs, It was about 5:30pm. I waited for the bus by the bus stop inside then I went outside standing in the cool waited for the shuttle bus form 6:15pm-6:35pm. I saw the other hotel shuttle bus in and out twice already. I didn't see the Royal International Hotel's bus once. Finally I took the taxi, spend 20mins 50yuan got to the hotel. Very disappointed for their airport shuttle bus service. When I got to the hotel room, They called me and told me that they did went to the bus stop that time and didn't see me. What the LIE !!!! Because this,the hotel up great my room to executive room. The room was very nice, comfy, clean. Front desk was very good. Check in and check out was fast. I think I will try another airport hotel if I go the Shanghai pudong airport.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo