“Nice property, worst service ever”

Royal International Hotel
Ranked #101 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Utrecht Province, The Netherlands
“Nice property, worst service ever”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This hotel has succeeded in lowering the bar for customer service lower then anyone else. To make a long story short, we booked a room which was supposed to have three beds. However, this turned out to be a mistake on the end of Hotwire (booked at standard rate) as their website should have offered a choice, one king bed, or two twin beds. However, it was listed for both.

Although this could be changed to the two twin bed type, we had to pay extra for the 3rd bed. We were told this bed included breakfast though, a real bonus considering the other two people in the room were not allowed to join! No form of help or compromise was possible, free extra bed, discounted extra bed without breakfast for one person, breakfast for the other persons, all not possible.

After much arguing they agreed to cancel and refund the remaining nights. However, 'they did not have our money' and we'd have to go to Hotwire to get them to refund it. Ofcourse, they did not tell Hotwire the same, and told them to only refund only one night.

Another detail: when paying for the room deposit by creditcard, the transaction was declined. It is not clear to me why. Strangely enough he could not produce a receipt though, and after all misinformation this felt like getting scammed again. This was even reinforced when he told me I entered my PIN wrong two times! However, I have had the pin pad in my hands for a total of 5 seconds, and the PIN pad said "PIN OK!", which it was by the way. I only entered it once, so this was another example of the hotel staff just outright lying.

The room was nice though, although with the extra bed it was completely full. Also the ammenities listed such as a sofa bed were not present, which could have prevented a lot of trouble. Although the hotel is reasonably close to the airport, it is located in the middle of nowhere surrounded by what can be best described as slums.

Don't book at this hotel if you expect any extra service from a self proclaimed 5-star hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Chiang Rai, Thailand
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I only have one night so I decided to stay near the airport. I didn't like the hotel surrounding nor the hotel lobby. However it is near Pudong airport and the room is very nice. The room has landline for internet and wifi provides only in the lobby area.
It is about RMB 50 to take taxi from airport to the hotel. If you speak mandarin and have small luggage you might take the subway from airport to the nearest station 'Chaunsha' about 4 stations from the airport and walk or take a taxi to the hotel (about 15 mins walk between subway and hotel).
The staff was nice and very helpful in showing me different ways to get to Shanghai (I do not speak Mandarin). It takes about 1 hour on the subway or 45 mins to go into the city.
However if I visit Shanghai next time and has limited time, I would just take the fast train (8 mins) from airport to go into the city and stay in Shanghai.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank anbkk
China
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The most notable thing about this hotel is that it provided free parking during our extended stay abroad. It was so nice to come back to our car with suitcases and not be charged to the hilt. The hotel itself is quite tasteful, clean and overall adequate. The buffet offerings had clean and fresh flavors, both Chinese and international. Overall, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Alice Springs
Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

Everything went wrong and staff did as little as possible to make things better. Couldn't find the promised shuttle on arrival and had to take a taxi with a non-English speaker. He did assure me he knew the hotel but then took me to two others and tried to insist they were my hotel. It was frankly scary. Eventually made it to the hotel and because I hadn't planned on needing to catch a cab, I hadn't bought any Chinese currency so tried to pay the driver in AU$ but he needed local money so followed me into the hotel. I tried to explain to the receptionist and ask him to change the $ for the driver but it was just an exercise in frustration. Eventually the driver gave up and took the $ and left. If he taken the right route in the first place it would have been a $5 AU ride, as it was, I had to give him $20 since I had nothing smaller. Other problems -
No wake up call (booked)
Room key did not work 3 times and had to change rooms after unpacking
Disinterested staff
Room service staff did to understand English and could not supply what was on their own menu (written in English)
Shuttle to the airport next day took me to the wrong terminal and I had to catch an airport shuttle back to the correct terminal.

All in all, a horrible horrible stay - never to be repeated.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Zeddog
Caronno Pertusella, Italy
Reviewed August 8, 2012

This is a very chinese oriented hotel that try to copy some of the concepts adapted in real luxury hotel. This is to say that overall is not bad but there is huge space for improvement. Like the staff that barely speak english of the girl serving at the bar that don't know how to pour a beer, for example.
Standard rooms are not spacious but they have most of the amenities needed for a short stay. They are clean even those in my room I found some broken furniture and a few cigarette burns on the desk and sofa.
Matress is decent as well as the pillows.
Been there as emergency lodging during a typhoon, personally won't be there in the future for sure. Location-wise is not attractive apart from being reasonably near to Pudong airport.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank adalbore
Suzhou, China
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed here one night before a flight. The room was nice, spacious and comfortable. Service was good as well. The area is super limited, however, and after walking around a bit, we decided we had no choice but to eat at the hotel (we have lived in China for five years and so are not squeamish, but this area was a bit sketchy). We ordered room service which was not good at all. In the morning it also took a lot of effort for us to get a single cup of coffee. For the price, I think I would stay elsewhere and have more amenities...perhaps have to travel a bit further to the airport. Oh speaking of airport - the shuttle was good. Very reliable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mrbonesmom
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2012

The accommodation was beautifully appointed as other reviewers have described, the hotel has a really nice boutique feel. It was just a one night stop over before flying from Pudong airport, but I think I would definitely consider staying here if I had a few days in Shanghai as the service received was so good, and taxis are cheap and easy to find to take you to all the main attractions. The Front Office manager was especially helpful, and all staff members were polite and courteous. One tip, I ordered room service, which was fine - there is no drinks menu so I couldn't check the prices but I had a bottle of mineral water which cost 28 RMB (+10% service charge) - bigger bottles of water are in the fridge in the room for 20 RMB (both were Evian).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business