“Great Value”

Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel
Ranked #76 of 5,146 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Booked several rooms and hosted guests over four nights. In general, the hotel is clean and professional and works well as a business/conference hotel/venue.

Pros:
---Great value.
---Good SPG platinum recognition. Club lounge serves a nice breakfast with both buffet-style and menu selections; dinner selection in club lounge is relatively broad and unique for a China sheraton. Suites are large and appropriate for meetings.
---Professional service. Not overly friendly or outgoing, but everyone was functional and efficient. A positive exception was Geneva in the 4th-floor chinese restaurant restaurant, who went out of her way to make our lunch guests feel welcomed with a very friendly and professional experience. Prices in the 4th-floor restaurant are reasonable.
---Sharp, clean architecture conveys a sense of luxury
---Plenty of complimentary bottles of water

Cons:
---Some nickel and dime-ing and hesitancy to remove charges
---Location is not great; can take 30-60 minutes to reach either airport by taxi. Nothing substantial to see within walking distance of the hotel.
---Broken steam room in men's locker room

Tips:
---From the moment the maglev train pulled away from Pudong airport, I was at the hotel exactly 30 minutes later (taxi from train station in pudong to hotel)
---See the view of the Shanghai skyline from the japanese restuarant on 37th floor on a clear night

Room Tip: High floor, corner room, on southeast side for view of pudong skyline and pearl tower
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank tdsbu
Joyce Z, Online Coodinator at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Dear tdsbu,

Greetings from Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel!

We are greatly appreciate your feedback.

And for sure we will share your comments with the team for their attention and improvement.

We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kin

Reviewed May 26, 2014

A welcome sight to see the Sheraton Hotel right across the street as we emerged from the subway tunnel upon our arrival in Shanghai. Friendly, helpful staff throughout. Good buffet breakfast to start the day. Large, comfortable room with an amazing view of the Pearl Tower and city. Huge shower. Location was good, within a few blocks of a mall and restaurants. Would stay here again when in Shanghai.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelOn11
Joyce Z, Director of Marcom at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Dear TravelOn11

Greetings from Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel!

Thank you very much for your positive feedback, and we are glad to know that you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Sincerely hope to welcome you back in the future for more explorations!

Best regards,

Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights.. The property is conveniently located downtown, with nice cozy rooms all good thing one could relate to a Sheraton property.. but here are the exceptions.. once you arrive the frontdesk might not even notice your existence, you go through a robotic check in and finally assigned a room.. help yourself with your luggage as concierge might not want to disturb you by asking to assist.. you should know Chinese to communicate with the staff..

That wasnt the worst part yet.. I confirmed the reservation though phone as my journey was planned at the last minute.. I felt happy to be extended some discounts on the rack rates, however on having a breif look at my invoice I noticed that the it had different night rates for the length of my stay and none of the rates matched the one confirmed over phone.. after a breif communication struggle with the frontdesk they called upon someone, perhaps the duty manager. This gentleman who wasnt all that gentle arrogantly handled my concerns and told me that rates were different for different days and they can not make a mistake in invoicing.. I insisted and advised them to verify from telephonic records of my reservation call. They did it for 10 mins time and came back to me with a very artificial apology, and presented me a invoice ammendment just for the first night of stay. The other nights were charged as per their policy, which they never considered necessary to inform the customer.. by this time I was bugged enough and just wanted to leave to avoid any futher embarrassment.. these guys treated me in a authorotative manner just to deter me from coming back ever at a place in this property's sight..

I am sure I am not the only one having faced such an issue, I had a look at a similar review on TA. And there must be many that went unreported..

If you are here just DO NOT expect hospitality, and hopefully do not run in to a situation where you need any assistance from the staff..

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Abhi012
Joyce Z, Executive assistant Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Dear Abhi012,
Greetings from Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel.

We are sorry that we let you down during your recent stay with us.

Meanwhile, would you mind sending your stay details to our email at gsm.hongkou@sheraton.com for our further investigation and improvement?

Sincerely hope that we'd have the chance to welcome you back for a better stay experience with us.

Looking forward to welcome you back

Best regards,

Fabien Martinez
Executive assistant Manager
Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hote

Reviewed May 25, 2014

I booked this hotel at the last minute, and didn't do too much research prior to booking it, but it was a very nice sheraton indeed. It isn't in the dead center of town, so you typically have to take some form of transportation if you aren't an avid walker like myself.

The club on the top floor has beautiful view of the Shanghai skyline, and is truly worth the visit.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Joyce Z, Director of Marcom at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2014

Dear MichiganKansan

Dear Michael R

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us.

Your feedback is very important for us in the future.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Hongkou is actually, believe or not, within walking distance (i.e. 20-30 minutes) to the Bund. It's nice to see along the way the 'real' Shanghai with local shops/restaurants since this is more residential. Metro station is across the road intersection from the hotel. Service was good. Sheraton Club on top floor was nice and happy hour offered an extensive selection of hot food (including steamed dumplings, etc.) while breakfast was ok considering it's a lounge and not a full restaurant. Pool facilities were pretty bad (out of order steam room, lack of fresh/sterilized slippers/towels) but the gym is the exact opposite (very nice and complete).

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear thetravellinghker,

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us.

We sincerely appreciate your comments on the facilities and restaurant, and for sure will pass it on to our colleagues for further improvements.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

Stayed here on back side of business trip to Yangzhou. Most excellent room with open feel, nice design. Location is a good ten minute taxi ride and not all Shanghai taxi drivers can figure out the name, take a card from the lobby, just 14 RNB taxi ride to the Bund. Very attentive lobby service, upper floor Sheraton Club is just ok.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Joyce Z, Marcom Director at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Dear MichiganKansan

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us.

Your feedback is very important for us in the future.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

I used frequent flyer miles to stay at this hotel in 2013 and liked it enough to return. The rooms are very quiet, but they had replaced the cotton duvet covers with polyester ones that were not nearly as nice or comfortable as last year's.

I was getting over jetlag and decided to have room service breakfasts since breakfast was not included in my room rate and the buffet was ridiculously expensive. I am travelling on a US $66/day per diem and I would have used most of it for a breakfast buffet that cost almost 300 RMB. I was planning to work in my room in the morning and decided to make my American breakfast, which cost almost 200RMB, last for lunch. I awoke at 4 and looked forward to breakfast at 6 - 6:15. When nothing arrived by 6:30 I called, and finally I got my meal at 6:45.

NOthing was right. I had ordered Bircher Muesli and got cornflakes. There is no comparison! I had ordered scrambled eggs with ham on the side and got eggs with bits of ham mixed in and bacon on the side that was tough and unappetizing. I had ordered grapefruit on the fruit plate and got a few slices of apple instead. I had wanted to use the ham and toast for 'lunch.' but got no ham, so my plan to make the meal last the morning fell apart.

The person who delivered it said that the chef was busy preparing thebreakfast buffet, hence the breakfast was late. He blamed the chef for not filling my order correctly. I refused to sign for it, and no one from the hotel contacted me so I finally called guest services. I did not get an apology, but the person I spoke with listened and offered me a free breakfast for the rest of my stay. Since I was leaving too early the next day to take advantage of this offer, this was not useful to me but I agreed and decided to just let it go.

MEanwhile, two CHinese students from my university were travelling with me. I booked their room on the internet instead of with Starwood preferred guest program thinking that I was getting a better rate. I had booked a non-smoking room for them and the clerk put them on a smoking floor. The room reeked of smoke and I asked the student to return to change rooms. She was shy to do so, in part because the clerk had been a bit rude to her, I am guessing because she was carrying a backpack and was not a business traveller. MEanwhile, I had not noticed that Internet was not included in the room rate. After the charges for internet access were added in, this room was not a bargain. In my experience very few hotels charge for Internet access. This is not the place to make money off of unsuspecting guests.

Final complaint. On arrival I did have the Hainan Chicken Rice in the Feast dining room, which I had enjoyed on my previous visit. This time all the elements were good except for the chicken, which appeared to have been fished out of the soup stock. I lived in Malaysia for two years and I know how chicken rice is made. Usually the chicken is undercooked, not boiled until it has no flavor. I give soup chicken to my dogs. I would not serve it to a guest in my home and Sheraton should not do so.

I am staying at the Ningbo Sheraton now. I was happy to see that this hotel still has cotton comforters. Overall the service is superior to what I experienced at the Hongkou Sheraton. But I am not eating at the hotel. We had a wonderful lunch buffet at the Pan Pacific Hotel here and the dining room was packed. It cost $180 RMB per person. Sheraton needs to look at the competition more closely if they want their 'loyalty' program to work.

Room Tip: The rooms are comfortable but be prepared to go out of the hotel for meals. THE staff will not tell...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Joyce Z, Director of Marcom at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Dear Jean_alberta_10,

Greetings from Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel. We are sorry that we let you down during your recent stay with us.Your comments and feedback on the services have been noted and brought up to releated departments for their attention and further improvement.