“Spacious and new but lacking the heart”

Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel
Ranked #86 of 5,205 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We had our business meeting in Sheraton Hongkou, which is the newer Sheraton in Shanghai. The room was very comfortable and the design was functional. Since the hotel is not located in Pudong, the area is not as bustling unlike those at the heart of the city. However, the travel by taxi to Pudong where all the nice cityscapes and fancy restaurants are located, is not problem.

However, I felt that the customer service is an improvement opportunity for his hotel. The staff should smile more and try to clarify their understanding if they have some difficulty with the English language. Despite clear instructions, for example, in meeting room lay-out, equipment required, etc, these were not delivered as expected.

Over-all, while the rooms are okay, I would not recommend to have business meetings in this hotel yet. Give it a few more months, and hopefully they get enough feedback and experience so that they can improve their attention to detail.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Joyce Z, Joyce Z, Marcom Director at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Dear Pearlie,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback. Your comments on the services and meeting requirement is well noted and for sure we will pass it on to the team for their attention immediately. In the meantime, we sincerely hope to welcome you back soon to experience the improvement we make!

Best regards!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Only a block from the Subway, its location makes it easy to get to the sites you want to see. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable. The price for the room was too high for what you get, and breakfast was ridiculously overpriced with poor selection, and uninspired grumpy staff. The biggest disappointment was having to present our confirmation of our prepaid reservation to keep from being overcharged $200 USD for the room. Once presented with the evidence, a corrected charge receipt was prepared.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Joyce Z, Marcom Director at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Dear Susan,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel. For sure we will forward your comment on the breakfast and service to relevant department for their attention and better improvement. We sincerely hope to welcome you back and experience the difference we make.

Best regards

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I thought the Sheraton Hongkou was an excellent hotel. While the location is not totally ideal, it is two metro stops and a quick cab ride away from the Bund so to me it was perfect. I actually liked being just a little outside the epicenter of hustle and bustle of the world's largest city. Excellent, wide-ranging breakfast (although a little pricey). The staff worked hard to accommodate my needs; their English wasn't as good as some other hotels but I got what I needed. When I needed to check out quickly because I woke up late for a train, they wasted no time in getting me checked out in under 5 minutes.

The room was great. I got an upgrade and my room was simply wonderful. Huge walk-in shower, floor to ceiling windows and glass around the shower too. Gave the room a very open feeling. The hotel is pretty new so most everything in the room was in tip-top shape. The view from the 37th floor bar of Pudong (where the skyscrapers are) is amazing, especially at night. I highly recommend trying to get a room facing Pudong. Mine wasn't, and that would have been very nice, but I didn't know there was a view to ask for.

I highly recommend staying here. I will on my next trip to Shanghai.

Room Tip: Get a high floor facing the Pudong area.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Sam W, Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear James B,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou hotel. It’s our pleasure to provide you with a pleasant stay. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We based ourselves at this property for 3 night stop over in Shanghai, and the location was excellent. The hotel instructions and taxi price indications for transfer from the airport where very accurate. Check in was prompt and efficient, although we did have to ask for the free wifi as promised, which would otherwise have been charged.

We had a standard king room with a view Bund. The room was impressive, super comfortable bed, plenty of storage and space and a stunning bathroom set-up. The porter services were excellent.

The gym and pool facilities where impressive,although aspects of the men's locker room were looking tired.

The concierge desk was generally helpful, although in the evenings we found it hard to access an informed English speaking concierge service.

The only disappointing aspects were the food and beverage outlets. The buffet breakfast was like a train station and the food was very average, although a solid food selection.The service was non existent. The Japanese restaurant was totally appalling and incredibly expensive - we sent several dishes back and the service was embarrassingly bad, which I suspect is a function of poor training. On a Friday night there were only about 4 people dining, despite the incredible views of the Bund and CBD area. Maybe head up there for a drink, but eat elsewhere.

I'd definitely stay here again, given the room comfort factor, and with the low cost of taxis, you,can eat outside the hotel fairly easily.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Bund.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Julian S,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou hotel. It’s our pleasure to provide you with a pleasant stay. We will bring your valuable feedback to the concerned department head immediately. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best Regards!

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Nearly flawless, English spoken by most of the staff. This quiet location is safe with busy streets nearby, can be overlooked for this 5* property just north of the Bund. Rooms have excellent layouts w/ work desk and fit & finish that match more expensive hotels in SH. Staff is helpful and attentive. Quality breakfast that is complete. Beds are comfy and large with bathrooms that are world class; set A/C on low. Its excellent modern Chinese restaurant is not to be missed; excellent choices. well prepared & attentive staff/limited English. WiFi is reliable. Only 3 blocks north is a complete, European looking, Hongkou neighborhood with cafes, restaurants, banks, convenience stores, stores, post office, Mc Donalds and even a Domino's!!.
Stayed 5 nights; good value for 5*.

Room Tip: Ask for a south facing room or a high floor. No tall buildings nearby.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Dear DavidHAre,

Reviewed September 28, 2013

First off, do not bother trying to order a cocktail at the bar in the lobby or the other bar - they were all terrible and we needed to send it all back. I dont think the staff actually new what Margaritas or Mojitos were! In the lobby bar, I tried ordering a TWG green tea instead and they gave me a Dilmah green tea - 'by mistake'. As if I wouldn't notice!! There is a huge price difference..I thought this was really shady. Service in general was poor, staff did not speak English well at all, I tried to order Cornflakes for breakfast but room service couldnt understand, despite me pointing out where on the menu they could find it. On another occassion, a staff member opened my door despite me having the 'do not disturb' sign on the front of my door!! Location is also in the middle of nowhere. Stay somewhere else in Shanghai...

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Anne G
Sam W, Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Dear Anne G,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou hotel. We will bring your valuable feedback to the concerned department head immediately and get back to you soon. Please accept our sincere apologies for all the inconvenience caused to you. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

One of the many new-China luxury properties, this Hotel is not so different to other properties like Shangri-la's, Double Tree's , etc. However, the location is certainly an advantage, both for leisure and business/duty visitors. Very well-trained staff, however and unfortunately, right at the opening of this Hotel, they were much more attentive to details, as compared to today. Being not native English speakers, staff always makes sure they got your request correctly, before delivering any services. Also, Friendly and helpful when it comes to translation and city's location guides. Rooms are very spacious, very quiet, very clean, stylish interior: Total bliss if you need to just relax in beds with satin and silk, or rejuvenate, using the SPA Facilities right in your own room. Japanese restaurant in the hotel is quite nice, if you do not need to explore other Shanghai's eateries. Buffet Breakfast is in abundance, however more oriental, as the Chinese food dishes prevail over the western ones. It might be a plus, or vice versa, depending on who's actually having the breakfast, and their preferences. Room service is quick and easy, However never consistent. I think, it depends on the Chef's shifts. I have been both disappointed and very nicely surprised a couple of times with my in-room dining experiences. So, beware of some imperfections, at times. Overall, Great Asian hospitality in the heart of Shanghai and just couple of streets away from the main city's attractions. They are not yet at the top, but I guess, they'll get their soon :)

• Stayed: September 2013