“Fine until the end”

Ranked #72 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Colima, Mexico
“Fine until the end”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Only a block from the Subway, its location makes it easy to get to the sites you want to see. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable. The price for the room was too high for what you get, and breakfast was ridiculously overpriced with poor selection, and uninspired grumpy staff. The biggest disappointment was having to present our confirmation of our prepaid reservation to keep from being overcharged $200 USD for the room. Once presented with the evidence, a corrected charge receipt was prepared.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Joyce Z, Marcom Director at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Susan,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel. For sure we will forward your comment on the breakfast and service to relevant department for their attention and better improvement. We sincerely hope to welcome you back and experience the difference we make.

Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I thought the Sheraton Hongkou was an excellent hotel. While the location is not totally ideal, it is two metro stops and a quick cab ride away from the Bund so to me it was perfect. I actually liked being just a little outside the epicenter of hustle and bustle of the world's largest city. Excellent, wide-ranging breakfast (although a little pricey). The staff worked hard to accommodate my needs; their English wasn't as good as some other hotels but I got what I needed. When I needed to check out quickly because I woke up late for a train, they wasted no time in getting me checked out in under 5 minutes.

The room was great. I got an upgrade and my room was simply wonderful. Huge walk-in shower, floor to ceiling windows and glass around the shower too. Gave the room a very open feeling. The hotel is pretty new so most everything in the room was in tip-top shape. The view from the 37th floor bar of Pudong (where the skyscrapers are) is amazing, especially at night. I highly recommend trying to get a room facing Pudong. Mine wasn't, and that would have been very nice, but I didn't know there was a view to ask for.

I highly recommend staying here. I will on my next trip to Shanghai.

Room Tip: Get a high floor facing the Pudong area.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Sam W, Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear James B,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou hotel. It’s our pleasure to provide you with a pleasant stay. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

We based ourselves at this property for 3 night stop over in Shanghai, and the location was excellent. The hotel instructions and taxi price indications for transfer from the airport where very accurate. Check in was prompt and efficient, although we did have to ask for the free wifi as promised, which would otherwise have been charged.

We had a standard king room with a view Bund. The room was impressive, super comfortable bed, plenty of storage and space and a stunning bathroom set-up. The porter services were excellent.

The gym and pool facilities where impressive,although aspects of the men's locker room were looking tired.

The concierge desk was generally helpful, although in the evenings we found it hard to access an informed English speaking concierge service.

The only disappointing aspects were the food and beverage outlets. The buffet breakfast was like a train station and the food was very average, although a solid food selection.The service was non existent. The Japanese restaurant was totally appalling and incredibly expensive - we sent several dishes back and the service was embarrassingly bad, which I suspect is a function of poor training. On a Friday night there were only about 4 people dining, despite the incredible views of the Bund and CBD area. Maybe head up there for a drink, but eat elsewhere.

I'd definitely stay here again, given the room comfort factor, and with the low cost of taxis, you,can eat outside the hotel fairly easily.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Bund.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Julian S,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou hotel. It’s our pleasure to provide you with a pleasant stay. We will bring your valuable feedback to the concerned department head immediately. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best Regards!
Brick, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Nearly flawless, English spoken by most of the staff. This quiet location is safe with busy streets nearby, can be overlooked for this 5* property just north of the Bund. Rooms have excellent layouts w/ work desk and fit & finish that match more expensive hotels in SH. Staff is helpful and attentive. Quality breakfast that is complete. Beds are comfy and large with bathrooms that are world class; set A/C on low. Its excellent modern Chinese restaurant is not to be missed; excellent choices. well prepared & attentive staff/limited English. WiFi is reliable. Only 3 blocks north is a complete, European looking, Hongkou neighborhood with cafes, restaurants, banks, convenience stores, stores, post office, Mc Donalds and even a Domino's!!.
Stayed 5 nights; good value for 5*.

Room Tip: Ask for a south facing room or a high floor. No tall buildings nearby.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear DavidHAre,
Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

First off, do not bother trying to order a cocktail at the bar in the lobby or the other bar - they were all terrible and we needed to send it all back. I dont think the staff actually new what Margaritas or Mojitos were! In the lobby bar, I tried ordering a TWG green tea instead and they gave me a Dilmah green tea - 'by mistake'. As if I wouldn't notice!! There is a huge price difference..I thought this was really shady. Service in general was poor, staff did not speak English well at all, I tried to order Cornflakes for breakfast but room service couldnt understand, despite me pointing out where on the menu they could find it. On another occassion, a staff member opened my door despite me having the 'do not disturb' sign on the front of my door!! Location is also in the middle of nowhere. Stay somewhere else in Shanghai...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Anne G
Sam W, Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Anne G,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou hotel. We will bring your valuable feedback to the concerned department head immediately and get back to you soon. Please accept our sincere apologies for all the inconvenience caused to you. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

One of the many new-China luxury properties, this Hotel is not so different to other properties like Shangri-la's, Double Tree's , etc. However, the location is certainly an advantage, both for leisure and business/duty visitors. Very well-trained staff, however and unfortunately, right at the opening of this Hotel, they were much more attentive to details, as compared to today. Being not native English speakers, staff always makes sure they got your request correctly, before delivering any services. Also, Friendly and helpful when it comes to translation and city's location guides. Rooms are very spacious, very quiet, very clean, stylish interior: Total bliss if you need to just relax in beds with satin and silk, or rejuvenate, using the SPA Facilities right in your own room. Japanese restaurant in the hotel is quite nice, if you do not need to explore other Shanghai's eateries. Buffet Breakfast is in abundance, however more oriental, as the Chinese food dishes prevail over the western ones. It might be a plus, or vice versa, depending on who's actually having the breakfast, and their preferences. Room service is quick and easy, However never consistent. I think, it depends on the Chef's shifts. I have been both disappointed and very nicely surprised a couple of times with my in-room dining experiences. So, beware of some imperfections, at times. Overall, Great Asian hospitality in the heart of Shanghai and just couple of streets away from the main city's attractions. They are not yet at the top, but I guess, they'll get their soon :)

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Aigel C
Dear Aigel C,
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

First of all, I am a Platinum SPG member. I have stayed at a number of SPG properties on my travels and the ratings I saw here indicated I would have another great stay, which is why I selected this hotel. Unfortunately, this was not to be the case.

As I checked in, I was assured that my SPG number was entered and the very nice woman confirmed that she saw I was Platinum. However, only when I asked a second time to confirm that my card gave me access to the club lounge for breakfast did she volunteer to upgrade me to a club level room. Note that I should have been automatically upgraded to "best available room at check-in, including Standard Suites". However, only a small number of suites are made available for these upgrades (news to me!), so I was finally upgraded to another regular room: very nicely appointed with a fabulous view of Pudong.

The bellman brought up my luggage - I only had a 100CNY note so I asked for change - he took the note and walked out. Between my being exhausted and his language skills, I assume there was a misunderstanding. Hope he appreciated the nice tip.

Since I had just flown in from the US, I went to take a shower, only to discover that there was only tepid (at best) water coming out, even after letting the shower run for several minutes. Of note, there was plenty of hot water from the sink tap, just not from the shower head. I took a VERY BRIEF shower, dressed and went down to the front desk to ask to have it fixed, then headed to the club lounge to relax. When I returned, it was evident that someone had been in my room and worked on the shower. Good, prompt service!

The next day, I awoke to a Chinese language paper on my door, which I, of course, could not read. I made my way to the club lounge for breakfast and traded it out for an English language version. The eggs plate they made for me was excellent, better than I have had at most restaurants.

I spent the day out and about and returned late (11:30pm), hot and sticky from the humidity. Thank goodness, because when I went to shower before bed, I had another (slightly longer) tepid shower. "Prompt" clearly did not equal "effective" on the service call the night before.

I awoke early the next morning and tried the breakfast buffet at Feast. Service here was terrible - and no smiles! I waited at the noodle station for service, watched a staff member walk up, slow down and make eye contact, then walk on. I assumed she did not work at that station but surely she would send someone over. No. After waiting several more minutes with no help, I went over to make toast instead and noticed a waffle maker. I asked the staff member standing there about getting a waffle. Her attitude came across as very put upon, as if I had asked a big favor of her. She then used bare hands to hold the cooked waffle down to cut it for me and hand it over to my plate. Thanks, but no thanks. When I returned to my table, my dirty dishes from 10 minutes before were still sitting there. The food was good, but not good enough to offset the bad service.

Also of note: for business travelers, the wifi was 4 or 5 bars in the room but performed sluggishly, with lots of delays when accessing websites. Skype was nearly impossible to use due to bad connections.

Overall, I will not go there again when I return in December. I am loyal to SPG because they know how to make a guest feel welcome and taken care of during their stay, but not this hotel.

When I checked out, I talked to the front desk manager and received an apology. I hope they can fix the shower before the next person checks in!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing east - great views of Pudong
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Sarah P
Sam W, Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Sarah P,