“Highly Recomended”

Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel
Ranked #82 of 5,206 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed November 25, 2011

I and my girlfriend went to this hotel last weekend and we were extremely happy to stay here. We stayed at the Deluxe King bed room. Everything in the hotel is new and CLEAN (which is sometimes problems with other hotels I have been to in China). The service was great and very helpful. Anything we requested such coffee, tea, ice... was in our room within minutes...
The room was awesome: huge(!), and with everything you need and more!
We also tried a sushi restaurant at the hotel. From the service to the food, and the view - again everything was amazing.
A pool and a hot tub are beautiful and they were awesome after a long day of shopping + travelling. Almost nobody was there so we had them only for ourselves.
Great bonus to this hotel is the location of the subway line 10 just a minute away.

All in all, I highly recommend this hotel, and hopefully I have a chance to go there again...
Andrej V

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Sheraton_Hongkou, Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2011

Dear Andrej V,

Thank you so much for your outstanding feedback. Furthermore, it is great to see that you enjoyed the food in our Miyabi restaurant. Recently we have updated our Miyabi restaurant menu, so please feel free to visit Miyabi again whenever you are back in our hotel.

Please do not hesitate to contact me whenever you plan to visit us again.

Reviewed November 25, 2011

I stayed here from the 15th till the 20th of november. it's about 45 mins from the airport, near the bund. The great experience started when I arrived at the entrance of the hotel. One of the most friendly doorgreeters I've ever seen, always smiling. Then you will enter the hotel, and there is more staff of this level, the people from guest relations who are all saying hi to you and wish you a very warm welcome. They will guide you to the frontdesk, where I was helped very nice by a girl. Meanwhile the bellman already got my luggage from the taxi and told me that he would send it to my room. Once i was in my room, (twin deluxe) i had an amazing view over the bund (27th floor). The room was very nice and clean, 5 minutes later the bellman came to my room with my luggage. This hotel haves everything, a nice swimmingpool, spa, gym and one of the most friendly staff i've ever met. Especially in the Club lounge on the 37th floor, they will help you with everything and you'll rarely see them not smiling.. The location is i think excellent, a 24h supermarket just 3 minutes away from the hotel and metro line 4 and 10 across the street (10 mins to the city centre). For sure a place to recomend and to return to. Thank you for making my stay a excelent experience !

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Ricardo H,

Thank you so much for your amazing comments. It is good to see that our hard work is paying off and I am really proud that I have the opportunity to be part of such a great team.

Please do contact me if you ever plan to visit us again.

Reviewed November 24, 2011

Whether it's business or leisure travel - Sheraton Hongkou should be the 1st choice in Shanghai.

You will be greeted by smiling, cheerful faces the moment you enter the Hotel Lobby. Staff is very professional, prompt, friendly and will go out of their way to make your stay comfortable.

Location wise, it's 10 mins drive from the famous tourist attraction, The Bund and almost the same distance from the buzzing nightlife restaurant & cafe street, Xintiandi.

My personal thanks to their Guest Manager, Nitin Abbi for his personal attention and taking care of even the minutest details. This kind of service attitude is not commonly experienced in the Hotel industry.

Will surely come back to this Hotel on my next trip.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Dear delhitraveler78,

Thank you so much for your positive comments. I am really happy that you enjoyed your stay and that I was able to be part of creating a wonderful experience to for you.
Indeed our hotel aims on business and leisure travelers and I strongly believe that we have the right facilities and services to satisfy both of the market segments.

Please contact me prior to your next arrival and again many thanks for your comments.

Reviewed November 22, 2011

This hotel is probably your very best choice in Shanghai. It's great - and, it's incredible value.

5-star Shanghai hotels ARE NOT CHEAP, in fact they are expensive. If you choose one of the Bund hotels (the Fairmont, etc etc) or one of the Pudong skyscraper hotels (the Hyatt, etc etc), you will pay 400 to 600 a day.

As far as I can tell, the only option for an "amazingly cheap" 5-star hotel, is the Sheraton HONGKOU.

Where is the Hongkou? It is just "off Bund". Hongkou is a nondescript urban area 2 km just behind the Bund. (Every part of the massive area that is Shanghai, is a "nondescript urban area" - so there's no real difference.)

To be specific, it is exactly 2.25 km urban walk from the Shertaon Hongkou, to, the Bund. (I go jogging, so I measured it with the gps.)

There is nothing whatsoever good, or bad, about the Hongkou area. It's just another part of the urban sprawl of Shanghai. There are huge numbers of shops, there is "urban" street culture with people selling food on sticks, there is large roads with traffic and traffic lights - exactly the same as all the rest of Shanghai.

So you now have the critical question, should you pay 600 a night to stay at one of the hotels "on the Bund", or should you pay 200 a night to stay at the Sheraton in Hongkou, around the corner? Bear in mind that the Sheraton is, if anything, actually physically BETTER, and plus it's brand new (built around 2010).

I really think there's a lot to be said for choosing the Hongkou. Don't forget that Shanghai is just like Los Angeles, in that there is absolutely no "centre" to Shanghai. (Obviously, LA is tremendously smaller than Shanghai, of course - the point is that you need a car to get anywhere at all in both cities.)

Every single place you will want to go to in Shanghai, you'll just hop in a taxi to go there. Every restaurant you want to go to, every bar, every tourist sight - you'll hop in a taxi. There is nothing you can walk to from anywhere.

If you are staying in the Fairmont on the Bund, or the Park Hyatt in Pudong, or one of the hotels in the French quarter, or somewhere in the "business" area ... in fact, every single time you go out, you'll hop in a taxi.

If you want to visit the restaurant at the top of the WFC, you'll hop in a taxi. If you want to check out the TV tower, you'll hop in a taxi. If you want to see the French quarter, you'll hop in a taxi. If you want to walk along the Bund for a half hour that morning, you'll hop in a taxi. And so on.

Don't forget, taxis are REALLY, REALLY CHEAP in Shanghai. How cheap? The 50 km, one hour ride, from the airport, is only 20 bucks or less! Amazing. Whenever you hop in a taxi to get around town it is only a few dollars. Never hesitate.

Sure, if you actually stay on the Bund, if your room is on the correct side, you have views of the river. But then, the Sheraton Hongkou is a skyscraper hotel - it has amazing views of Shanghai all around. And if you actually stay on the Bund, the one morning that you decide to "walk on the Bund" for half an hour, you can walk across the road to the boardwalk area. But then, it's a one dollar taxi ride form the Hongkou, to the Bund boardwalk ... so does it matter?

Having stayed there, I think it's a very wise choice to save a huge amount of money, which you can use at restaurants and so on, and stay at the Sheraton Hongkou.

Once again, Shanghai is an entirely car-based city (there is zero you can walk to from anywhere) so there's really no great advantage being, say, on the Bund.

(Indeed, just with the way the tunnel entrance works, i think it might be considerably EASIER, funnily enough, to take a two dollar taxi across to Pudong, say, if you start from the Hongkou, rather than starting from the Peninsula or another hotel on the Bund!)

What is the hotel like? Everything is brand-new (2011). The rooms are very spacious. The design is actually really good - it is understated quality.

The beds - Sheraton pride themselves on their beds, and they are fantastic. The rooms have the currently trendy "watch your wife in the shower" arrangements where there is a glass wall on one side of the bath with an electric curtain you can put up and down.

Everything works absolutely perfectly: I was struck by the light switches in the room, which were, the only clearly labelled, easy to use light switches I have found in a hotel!

Thank goodness the internet is free and easy, everything works. (Ethernet cables in the room hooray, and wifi everywhere, no passwords.)

The swimming pool is FANTASTIC, bring your hair cap. The pool is a gem, it's really good. There is a huge supply of saunas, steam rooms and so on.

The staff are actually REALLY REALLY GOOD - the manager even speaks both English and some French, for goodness sake. They even have an amazing linguist on staff (I think she is from Russia or Kazakstan) who speaks eight (8) languages flawlessly. The concierges and the guys who help you with luggage and taxis, are matey and friendly and get your day started right every time - it's great.

A good thing in China is that there is no shortage of staff. There is always plenty of people to look after you, clean things, serve food, and so on. It's a great pleasure to be able to tip 10 yuan ("a dollar") and that's a nice big tip that makes people really happy with a big smile - like in the "old days" in the West.

Breakfast is EPIC, it is a huge buffet, and great quality. In the same restaurant ("Feast") they have really good, and cheap, food all day.

A good tip is that after 6pm in "Feast" they have the fantastic buffet, which is incredibly cheap (20 bucks) for all-you-can-eat .. basically they have everything, sushi, seafood, every type of Asian and Western food. It's great. If you can't be bothered going out one night, eat there.

And on the top floor is a really very good, low key, and even remarkably CHEAP, Japanese restaurant with great sushi and teppanyaki grill. And you're on top of a small skyscraper hence with great views.

I can't find much downside: it is a business hotel (or rather, used by lots of business people), so it's totally reasonable that when you check in, you may have to wait in a line for a couple customers in front of you - just as in any large hotel, no big deal.

As with any Sheraton anywhere, be a little bit careful if you book on expedia or the like. I booked with I think hotels.com - cleverly, I just made a screen shot of the booking on my iPad. When I checked in, the hotel did not think I had breakfast included. China is like Victorian England .... they love paperwork and facts. If you have paperwork, or a Number, you are the winner. I was able to whip out my iPad with the booking screenshot, and that settled the matter. The manager (he's awesome) came over and immediately gave me platinum breakfast passes and was very charming.

TRULY IMPORTANT TIP: quite simply, Shanghai taxi drivers SPEAK NO ENGLISH. It's that simple. it is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL, no matter what hotel you are going to, that you have a VERY CLEAR PRINT OUT of both (A) a FULL MAP showing where you are going and (B) the address explained in detail in Chinese characters. You simply will not be able to get from the airport to your hotel (or anywhere else) unless you have this. It's that simple. There is no-one who can help you, nobody will be able to explain it or fix the problem. If you don't have a full map-and-instructions print out, you simply won't be able to get to where you are going. Even if you're staying at one of the most famous hotels, it is 100% certain that you will NOT be able to tell the driver where to go. Do not set out for Shanghai airport unless you have your hotel-directions print-out.

ANOTHER TIP: incredibly, it only costs about 20 bucks to go the 50km from the airport to Shanghai. True. When you get out of your plane, it is very important that you just go to and find a totally normal taxi, and make sure he uses his meter. Give him your printed map and instructions and he will take you to the hotel.

If you use the "taxi service desk" inside the airport, you will get ripped-off ... you will pay maybe 40 bucks. So don't do that.

VERY IMPORTANT TIP ABOUT THIS HOTEL, THE HONGKOU ... there are a number of "Sheraton" hotels in Shanghai. (Indeed, that is true of all hotel brands, and the same tip applies to whichever hotel you are staying at.) It is essential that you are clear which one you mean. ("Hong-cow" .. "Zeeping Lu") (Lu == Road). One one occasion, a driver took me to the wrong Sheraton .. there is another Sheraton maybe 15 minutes away in some huge shopping centre area. No problem, it only cost maybe 5 or 8 bucks more for the extra travel, but this is the problem you want to avoid. Make sure you underline over and over the "Hong-kow" and "Zeeping Road" part of the directions - particularly bearing in mind this is the newest Sheraton. (It's a bit like staying at the 4 Seasons in Tokyo - they always want to take you to the "wrong" older 4 Seasons!)

Now if any of the staff read this review, and they probably do, I would like to reiterate that I cherish the opportunity to thank you for such a great stay!

This is what can only be described as a pretty much perfect hotel -- spacious, brand-new, 5-star, genuinely understated, outstanding quality build, huge views, spectacular pool, generous and perfect facilities of every type, no problems with the internet and other infrastructure, really very good and indeed amazingly cheap restaurants -- and on top of all that, the hotel is incredibly cheap - basically 1/3 or 1/4 the price - just because it is in Hongkou rather than one of the areas Westerners know the name of. And in the end, Hongkou is actually a really good area to be in, as it is very convenient!

Thanks again, Sheraton Hongkou!

Room Tip: I would probably suggest, DO NOT waste the extra money on the rooms on the side of the hotel which h...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
9  Thank jpmay

Dear jpmay,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking so much time to write a detailed review. We really appreciate it. Your review is so detailed, that there is nothing from my side to comment on, except once again a big THANK YOU from our whole hotel team.

Please send me an email whenever you plan to visit us again. I would really like to greet and welcome you personally.

Merci beaucoup

Reviewed November 13, 2011

A very nice hotel. Very well located, near to many turistic attractions. The staff is attentive and simpathetic. The room is very spacious and very well decorated.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Roberto G,

Thank you so much for your comments on tripadvisor.com. I am pleased to see that you had an enjoyable stay.

Please contact me whenever you plan to visit us again.

Reviewed November 10, 2011

Stayed here for two weeks.. it was just fantabulous. Everyhthing was perfectly taken care off. The service..the rooms..the food... Friendly service.. One can just name it or mentioned it..

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Sheraton_Hongkou, Manager at Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2011

Dear Mandjoel T,

Thank you for the wonderful comments and I am more than happy that you had an enjoyable stay.

Please contact me whenever you plan to visit Shanghai again.

Again many thanks

Reviewed November 9, 2011

My fiancee and and I flew in from Scotland to stay at the Sheraton. Our first impression was simply 'wow'! The landscaping and the design are absolutely meticulous, the views were gorgeous and commuting was easier than we expected. Since it was our first time in Hong Kong, we were a bit worried about communication and transport, but the Front Office department were very courteous and helpful with information. The room prices we felt were quite reasonable for such luxurious accommodation especially since we both work in one of the Leading Hotels of the World. We would definitely stay here again and partake of all that the hotel has to offer.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear vanityinsanity,

Thank you for your great feedback on tripadvisor.com. I will pass your comments to our Rooms Manager Tony, who will be glad to receive the outstanding feedback.

Please feel free to contact me prior to your next arrival