“Sunrise On The Bund, Shanghai, China”

Sunrise On The Bund Hotel
Ranked #71 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
“Sunrise On The Bund, Shanghai, China”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights on a tour of China. Its supposed to be a new build hotel, however, when walking into the hotel foyer you could be forgiven for thinking it had been there for decades.
Having said that, the staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean comfortable, (although our room was a bit dark).
One sticking point is that the hotel name belies its location. It is Not on the Bund... Its approximately 15 minutes walk from the Bund, so it should actually be called Sunrise "Near the Bund"... Other than that its a perfectly acceptable hotel and would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Super hotel. Fairly newly built, location looks a little strange, however only 2 minutes walk from The Bund. Food in the restaurant was good. It was also fine in the'Pub' next door owned by the hotel. Hotel staff were very accommodating, supplied us with extra coffee sachets when we asked. (We did take the empty ones to show them, just to ease the situation.) Would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I agree with recent reviews that this is a world-class hotel and well worth five stars. The best appointed rooms I have ever seen, with high ceilings, spacious rooms, beautiful fixtures and everything considered for comfort. I stayed two nights in July and was very impressed with the attentive service, sumptuous breakfasts, solid and contemporary gym/pool facilities. Top marks for the pillow menu and the walk-in wardrobe!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Although this hotel is near but not on the Bund, it is luxurious in every respect, from gastronomic breakfasts to very well appointed bedrooms and bathrooms. At the end of a heavy sight-seeing day, nothing better than relaxing in a huge bath whilst watching the TV, or taking a swim in the huge indoor pool.

Room Tip: deluxe rooms are excellent
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sharon G
Chino, California
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I stayed here during the first week of August and I can not wait to return. I have stayed at a number of hotels (in the US and overseas) but this one is certainly one of the best. The rooms are spacious, the bathrooms are excellently decorated and spacious, and one of the comfiest beds I have ever slept on in a hotel.

The hotel itself is luxurious. They have a excellent gym/spa/pool and a number of restaurants/bars within. I highly recommend their teppanyaki restaurant! Most importantly was their service. I was always treated with respect and they were always quick to help with my questions or concerns.

Take a short walk and you reach the river. Taxis to take you to shopping centers or restaurants. You most certainly get what you pay for so if you are going to stay anywhere in Shanghai, try this gem of a hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank kainkaze
Lps Angeles
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Was in Shanghai from December 22 through January 3rd on business. Everything at the hotel was first class.. Have traveled all over the world and Sunrise On the Bud Hotel is second to none for convenience of a businessman. Will always stay there on my trips to Shanghai.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed here with a colleague for five nights. We booked two rooms, using two different methods as our trips were independently organized. I booked via a travel agent, a decision I've lived to regret.

The agent recommended this establishment as a quality hotel in a good location. I disagree. And I can't understand the reviews that describe the hotel as a 'hidden gem' and 'luxurious'.

Things didn't start well - we arrived around 11pm and I was dismayed to discover that as far as the hotel was concerned, I had no reservation. I still do not have an explanation of why this happened - it seems perhaps that the agent modified my reservation (upgrading from room-only to bead-and-breakfast) and along the way this change was interpreted as a cancellation. Now, I had a voucher provided by the travel agent, which the hotel refused to honour. So I was left having to use my credit card to secure a room after a long discussion with the front desk. The man on the front desk was not particularly sympathetic, and the accommodation provided was twin beds in a very small smoking room. So it was not a nice night's sleep, especially as I was angry with the hotel for the mess up. Bear in mind that Shanghai is 7 hours ahead of UK so we had the UK travel agent on the phone to the hotel telling the guy that the room had been paid for etc, all to no avail. Although I didn't know it at the time, my colleague told me there was a problem with his room, too - the power shut down in the middle of the night and wouldn't come back on so presumably the circuit-breaker had been triggered for some reason. Again, the hotel was not much help and didn't resolve the issue until the following day.

So perhaps I was always going to have a bad attitude about this place, but later events have tended to justify my first impressions.

At breakfast the following morning, it took 15 minutes and three requests before my coffee arrived. Be warned: if you are not on a bed-and-breakfast rate, the breakfast is VERY expensive (USD 30 or so) -- we were meeting a third colleague for breakfast and were shocked that such an ordinary hotel would charge so much. The other two restaurants were also very expensive: the seafood one has a set meal for more than RMB 500 (almost USD 100)! Two cokes in the bar cost about USD 10.

The rooms are small: we had superior rooms (Heaven help those who book 'inferior' ones) - there was a desk so small that my little tiny laptop barely fit on it, let alone my notebook, making it hard to do write-ups for meetings. The bathroom had a shower cubicle and a strange tub, very deep but only about 1.3m long so designed for a tubby midget, perhaps.... around the sink there wasn't even space to park my toothbrush. The wardrobe was poorly thought-out: the long hanging space, where I'd normally put trousers and suits, was mainly occupied with two towelling gowns and an ironing board, so the only real hanging space was shortened by the safe and drawers underneath. Clearly whoever designed the room layout has not spent much time travelling on business. The bed was like a futon - I've heard this hotel is Japanese-owned, so perhaps it WAS a futon. My neck didn't think much of it and I'm badly in need of a massage now. Sleep quality was not at all good and on the first night I noticed one of the pillows was not clean.

The gym is pretty nice, compared with the rooms - and the pool looked good, too.

Service was poor: the concierge desk was rarely manned, and the bell staff didn't speak much English, so asking for directions was impossible much of the time. The hotel is off the beaten track (20-30 minutes walk to The Bund, for example, and with no MTR nearby) so even getting a taxi was not easy and the hotel staff didn't go out of their way to assist - when it was raining they wouldn't even step out from cover to hail a cab!!

My colleague had a problem one day when nobody cleaned his room - despite calling housekeeping three times, when we returned in the evening it was still not serviced. Likewise I was in the shower one evening when turn-down service came, so on the way out of the hotel I asked them to send the turn-down service up as we were going to dinner. Needless to say, on my return the room was untouched.

The straw that broke the camel's back, though was on Saturday morning. Though it was raining, this was a rare opportunity for me to see Shanghai as a tourist and I was eager to explore. So, since (as usual) the concierge desk was un-manned, I went to the reception to ask about getting around to The Bund. First of all the woman gave me a Chinese-language map which wasn't going to be very useful, and then, when some Chinese hotel guests came up to her, she pointedly ignored me to serve them -- even though I was there first! I stormed off and walked up the road to a hotel at the beginning of the Bund, where staff were only too pleased to assist.

Hotel internet is not very good - constantly dropping out. This is because although there's an ethernet cable in the room, it's connected to an airport so it's really WiFi-by-wire... my colleague on the 17th floor was barely able to connect to the internet. The alternative was the business centre - but they wanted to charge us RMB 40 per 15mins plus USD 1 per page of printing. In a good quality hotel I expect this stuff to be complimentary. The Executive Club lounge looked OK but we didn't book Club rooms.

Overall, the atmosphere in the hotel was lacking - there were barely any people around, when we were in the bar there was nobody else there, for example. Only at breakfast did a few tourists appear -- yet they claimed to me that the hotel was fully-booked which was why they'd stuck me in a terrible room the first night.

I raised all this with the manager one evening and he was initially sympathetic, but he didn't actually do anything about the problems apart from give me a plate of fruit.

So, in summary: bad location (not near The Bund or the French Concession, though not too far from Pudong through one of the tunnels); bad service; bad internet; expensive food. Stay somewhere else, if you've any sense.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business