“Exceeded expectations”

Ladoll Service Apartments
Ranked #19 of 354 Specialty Lodging in Shanghai
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Taxi from the airport and an easy helpful check-in. Reception staff on the 1st floor English speaking determined to make the stay at Ladoll Service Apartments a pleasant one. Everything fine in the room and very clean, as it says in the names the apartment was cleaned and freshened up every day with clean towels. Wifi easy to access although I could't figure out the TV, then again I didn't come to Shanghai to watch TV. Good location and the Villa & Hut cafe across the road great for breakfast if you don't want to bother to cook in the ideal small kitchen in the apartment, nice big refrigerator. No complaints at this very well priced accommodation. Would definitely recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed for 11 nights here and found the cleaning staff I met in the halls extremely warm, friendly and eager to work through language barriers to assist me. The front desk staff were quick and efficient in processing my check-in and check-out. They even kept an eye out for me on the street knowing my estimated arrival time. This place offers hotel service with the option of environmentally friendly initiatives which I took pleasure in using from time to time. The apartment was large and the bathroom has strong water pressure and plenty of hot water. It is a great location as it is only a couple of blocks from the Jing'An metro station. At the end of the street is a vendor serving buns and an extremely welcoming lady next door from whom I was able to buy many things with the use of sign language. ;) There is plenty of restaurants in the neighborhood as well. The apartment was very quite within the halls and relatively quite for the city of Shanghai fro any noise coming from the streets.

Room Tip: Assume rooms at the back of the building would be quieter during rush hour.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We arrived early off a cruise ship, and were welcomed beyond any expectation. We had hoped we may leave our luggage until the apartment was ready, but the friendly staff insisted we have a rest in the room, even though the very thorough cleaning had not been completed. This hospitality continued as we asked for advice on destinations and (very importantly) writing in Chinese where we were to go - the way to get over our language difficulties with taxi drivers.

The apartment is well located, close to public transport and shopping. We did not have the difficulties locating the desk others have reported, with people on the ground floor being very helpful. This is a very well priced and convenient place to stay in Shanghai.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was looking for a hotel that would allow pets and yet be a reasonable price and comfortable. This one more than fit the bill. We stayed 3 nights with two dogs. The apartment was clean with good amenities, close to Jingan Temple and metro stops. There were several restaurants within walking distance. We could even order breakfast and have it delivered to our apartment each morning. The service was wonderful with a friendly and helpful staff. You can even borrow DVDs!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I was personally very happy with my stay here. First and primary was the excellent price. Hard to beat for this good area of Shanghai. This is not a fancy place. But it is very comfortable. As it is an apartment, there is no main desk, no concierge. There are really no Ladoll people on the ground level of the building, except for someone at the front desk who will direct you to the second floor office when you first arrive. The two ladies we dealt with in the second floor office were very helpful. My companion speaks Chinese so we conversed with them that way, although they understand English adequately as well.

I booked through a US travel site (Expedia) and therefore was able to pay in US dollars. Of course I paid full in advance, but they have a good cancellation policy. We ended up getting one of the larger rooms (see photos), and it was extremely comfortable. It had a separate small kitchen and living room. Best of all it had a clothes washer! We had been traveling already in China for 10 days so we needed to wash clothes. They also bill it as a dryer, but trust me, it doesn't work well. We had packed some wire hangers and let the clothes air dry. Just fine! They will even give you laundry soap. Our room was very quiet. No street noise or noise of any kind from other tenants.

They place has been around for a number of years, and is nonsmoking. But my companion has a very good nose and said she could smell a trace of smoke smell when we first arrived. I never did smell it.

This place is very near Jingan Station on the Orange Line of the subway system. It is also only a 15 minute walk to Din Tai Fung, adjacent to the Ritz Carlton. I was very happy with this choice.

Room Tip: In the notes on my reservation request online I asked for a room away from the street to minimize no...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Skytrekker
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My husband and I have been living at Ladoll since we arrived in Shanghai in January. The 70 sq meter apartment has met all our needs for a short term stay. The staff is very nice - Jenny and Amy have helped us get wherever we needed to go. We have always been able to get our needs communicated to them, even when a bit of charades is required on our part.

The on-demand water heater works great as does the air conditioning unit. A water cooler can be rented rather than buying bottled water. A small convenience store downstairs provides the basics.

We considered staying at Ladoll for our full two years here. A need for storage and a bit more space is making us move on. For a shorter stay this place is a great choice.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank AkronHolli
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Stayed in a suite (level 3 of 4 room choices) in late November 2012 for one week.

I know where the property was as friends had stayed there previously, so no troubles finding the place. It is about a 3 minute walk from the closest tube exit. If you are coming by taxi, note the street is one-way only from the major road by the temple - so if a taxi takes a bit of a detour around the block it is legitimate!

Friendly staff on arrival, check-in was quick (pay a 200RMB deposit in cash) and staff brought a wi-fi router with them and connected it straight away. (Check-out is at midday, present your receipt for the return of your deposit.)

A word on the wi-fi... it's SUPER fast!!

The room was spotlessly clean and all the amenities you could need - slippers, basic toiletries and kitchen items (cutlery and plates/cups etc). The room comes with a complimentary snack tray including fresh fruit, a couple of bite-sized candy bars and some instant noodles (you won't go hungry if you arrive and want to fall into bed!)

Tea and coffee mix are provided along with bottled water.

Bathroom was spotless, fresh towels and the water pressure was ok (the shower head was one of the water saving ones... not my preference but understandable). Contrary to the room description on some websites, the bath is not a spa bath! (maybe in the deluxe suite only?)

The bed was comfortable and there was mountains of storage space with floor to ceiling wardrobes. A safe is provided. The room came with black-out curtains and noise was minimal. The air-conditioners (one each in the living area and bedroom) worked perfectly. They are dual heating and cooling.

Room service is daily with very friendly staff, if you don't need daily servicing they are more than happy just to replace a towel and your water/coffee supplies as you hear them pass your room.

Location wise - fantastic, Jing An Temple and the tube are so close. There is a convenience store just a few metres away.

The room is fine for entertaining - friends can be buzzed in through security via a tv screen in the room. The couches/chairs however are a little on the small side!

While this property doesn't have the extras of a hotel chain such as pool or gym, and individually each of the rating elements is probably 4 out of 5 - the space, service, great wi-fi and location give this property a 5 overall.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo