“Depending on Your Needs, This Can Be a Very Good Fit”

Ladoll Service Apartments
Ranked #17 of 311 Specialty Lodging in Shanghai
California
“Depending on Your Needs, This Can Be a Very Good Fit”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I was personally very happy with my stay here. First and primary was the excellent price. Hard to beat for this good area of Shanghai. This is not a fancy place. But it is very comfortable. As it is an apartment, there is no main desk, no concierge. There are really no Ladoll people on the ground level of the building, except for someone at the front desk who will direct you to the second floor office when you first arrive. The two ladies we dealt with in the second floor office were very helpful. My companion speaks Chinese so we conversed with them that way, although they understand English adequately as well.

I booked through a US travel site (Expedia) and therefore was able to pay in US dollars. Of course I paid full in advance, but they have a good cancellation policy. We ended up getting one of the larger rooms (see photos), and it was extremely comfortable. It had a separate small kitchen and living room. Best of all it had a clothes washer! We had been traveling already in China for 10 days so we needed to wash clothes. They also bill it as a dryer, but trust me, it doesn't work well. We had packed some wire hangers and let the clothes air dry. Just fine! They will even give you laundry soap. Our room was very quiet. No street noise or noise of any kind from other tenants.

They place has been around for a number of years, and is nonsmoking. But my companion has a very good nose and said she could smell a trace of smoke smell when we first arrived. I never did smell it.

This place is very near Jingan Station on the Orange Line of the subway system. It is also only a 15 minute walk to Din Tai Fung, adjacent to the Ritz Carlton. I was very happy with this choice.

Room Tip: In the notes on my reservation request online I asked for a room away from the street to minimize no...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Skytrekker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Akron
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have been living at Ladoll since we arrived in Shanghai in January. The 70 sq meter apartment has met all our needs for a short term stay. The staff is very nice - Jenny and Amy have helped us get wherever we needed to go. We have always been able to get our needs communicated to them, even when a bit of charades is required on our part.

The on-demand water heater works great as does the air conditioning unit. A water cooler can be rented rather than buying bottled water. A small convenience store downstairs provides the basics.

We considered staying at Ladoll for our full two years here. A need for storage and a bit more space is making us move on. For a shorter stay this place is a great choice.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank AkronHolli
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Stayed in a suite (level 3 of 4 room choices) in late November 2012 for one week.

I know where the property was as friends had stayed there previously, so no troubles finding the place. It is about a 3 minute walk from the closest tube exit. If you are coming by taxi, note the street is one-way only from the major road by the temple - so if a taxi takes a bit of a detour around the block it is legitimate!

Friendly staff on arrival, check-in was quick (pay a 200RMB deposit in cash) and staff brought a wi-fi router with them and connected it straight away. (Check-out is at midday, present your receipt for the return of your deposit.)

A word on the wi-fi... it's SUPER fast!!

The room was spotlessly clean and all the amenities you could need - slippers, basic toiletries and kitchen items (cutlery and plates/cups etc). The room comes with a complimentary snack tray including fresh fruit, a couple of bite-sized candy bars and some instant noodles (you won't go hungry if you arrive and want to fall into bed!)

Tea and coffee mix are provided along with bottled water.

Bathroom was spotless, fresh towels and the water pressure was ok (the shower head was one of the water saving ones... not my preference but understandable). Contrary to the room description on some websites, the bath is not a spa bath! (maybe in the deluxe suite only?)

The bed was comfortable and there was mountains of storage space with floor to ceiling wardrobes. A safe is provided. The room came with black-out curtains and noise was minimal. The air-conditioners (one each in the living area and bedroom) worked perfectly. They are dual heating and cooling.

Room service is daily with very friendly staff, if you don't need daily servicing they are more than happy just to replace a towel and your water/coffee supplies as you hear them pass your room.

Location wise - fantastic, Jing An Temple and the tube are so close. There is a convenience store just a few metres away.

The room is fine for entertaining - friends can be buzzed in through security via a tv screen in the room. The couches/chairs however are a little on the small side!

While this property doesn't have the extras of a hotel chain such as pool or gym, and individually each of the rating elements is probably 4 out of 5 - the space, service, great wi-fi and location give this property a 5 overall.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
11 Thank WGee
Perth, Australia
Reviewed December 6, 2012

All the rooms are very comfortable and clean. The location of the apartment is very convenient, close to metro subway and bus stops.
Everyone was very friendly, kind and helpful. They were all fabulous. Our special thanks go to Jenny and Amy.
We visited Shanghai many times before, stayed in Jin Jiang hotel and Jin An hotel. My personal experiences were that these two hotels could not measure up to the standard of Ladoll apartment both in regarding the room’s homely comfort, standard of service and staff’s attitude. The amount of money you paid to stay in this apartment is well worth it. I am so glad that I found this apartment on this trip to Shanghai. I would definitely stay at this apartment again next time without any hesitation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Chris M
Dublin
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in a studio apartment and then a few days later for 3 nights in a 1 bed apartment. Both were excellent and very comfortable. The location is very good for a visit to Shanghai, the metro will take you right across the city, and it is easy to explore on foot. Both apartments were very spacious and relatively quiet for Shanghai where horns beep incessantly all day and night - bring ear plugs. The kitchen was well equipped although there were only plates, cutlery etc for 2 people... we were in Shanghai to visit our son and his partner, and would have been glad to be able to invite them to dinner. IIt was good to be able to return to the apartment and make a snack, Shanghai is humid (late September), thronged - always - and very very noisy. And yes, as they say in other reviews if you leave your clothes beside the washing machine you will come home to find them hanging up to dry, no extra charge. This apartment was not a cheap option, but more reasonable than westernised hotels, and excellent value given the size of the rooms, the comfort nad the convenience. We will stay here again if we return to Shanghai

When in Shanghai do go on a boat trip on the river at night; to Pudong at dusk and up to the top of the Hyatt hotel to relax in the sky bar to see the city light up, a cocktail will cost the same as the lift to a viewing platform on a lower floor in the building next door; to the parks to join in the dancing and strolling - Jing An park very near the hotel was great; to the fabrics market to buy silks and have a coat made to your own design.

Wierdly one website Venere when we were booking described this as a clothing optional hotel. No other website mentioned this. It is not a hotel, there is no restaurant or lounge. We noticed nothing out of the ordinary re how people were dressed, or not.

Room Tip: Ask for one to the back, for quietness.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lonipod
Montbard, France
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I stopped in the apartment complex at 831 Xin Zha Road. (Nearest metro stop is West Nanjing Road by M & S). I thought it was a bargain, enormous room with huge bed, setee, dining table, desk area, big TV. Kitchen, balcony with washing machine and perfectly adequate bathroom. Free Wi Fi. Clean(ish). I'd stop there again without a second thought.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michael W
Venezia
Reviewed December 16, 2011

If one day I'm back to Shanghai I will choose this accomodation again: centrally located (just a stone's throw from Jing'an subway stop) it offers quite big apartments. The apartments are daily cleaned and made up as to be sparkling; one day I left my dirty clothes into the washing machine and when I went back I found them all washed and hang out to get dry: I was amazed (many thanks to the wonderful cleaners)!!! Beside that I was offered coffee and tea every day. The kitchen is fully equipped with all sort of modern cooking devices and the bathroom is provided with all comforts.
The two ladies working in the office, Jenny and the other young lady whose name I cannot remember, speak a perfect English and are always willing to help and give any sort of information a guest might need. Unlikely big and renowned hotels they always welcome guest with a huge smile!!! In a word thanks to Jenny and her colleague, to the ground floor receptionist and to the cleaners I had a wonderful stay in Shanghai. Better than a 5-stars hotel!!!
Thanks to all of you!!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo