“NEW Hotel with location. location, location!”

Hotel Nikko Shanghai
Ranked #384 of 4,997 Hotels in Shanghai
New York City, New York
“NEW Hotel with location. location, location!”
Reviewed April 12, 2011

WOW talk about state of the art....... Cannot beat the location and the new construction facilities.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank SavyTravelerNYC
Elaine_Bao, Manager at Hotel Nikko Shanghai, responded to this review, April 24, 2011
Dear SavyTravelerNYC,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at hotel nikko shanghai. We certainly pride ourselves on exceeding our guest's expectations.

SavyTravelerNYC we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to hotel nikko shanghai.

Always trusted, always ahead.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Zurich
Reviewed March 28, 2011

I have stayed at Hotel Nikko Shanghai already a couple of times and I always like coming back. Its is a new (2010) really great property with an excellent price/value offering.

The rooms are spacious, modern, comfortable, clean and have all technical features needed, atmosphere is very nice whether for leisure or business purposes. Beds are large and comfortable. Bathrooms are spacious.

On the service side might be some improvement needed, however frequent Shanghai-Travellers know that other Hotels arent any better. Staff is good at repeating standard phrases from the book, however when it comes to individual requests they struggle.

Overall Hotel Nikko is an excellent option for guests who already know how to find their way in Shanghai and know where to go.

Two really negative points which I found very disappointing:
- no free wifi
- upon asking the Concierge about a good japanese restaurant in town I could not get any answer; this is rather surprising since Hotel Nikko belongs to a japanese chain and should be able to cater to the needs of japanese guest

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Sveenz
Elaine_Bao, Manager at Hotel Nikko Shanghai, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
Dear sveenz, thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. Your feedback is much appreciated as this helps us improve our overall service.

We were also pleased to read of your feedback regarding great location and great hardware, thank you.

We have wifi available at Executive Lounge on the 25th floor at this moment. In the near future the whole hotel public areas will have wifi access. Sorry for the inconvenience brought to you this time.

Hong Kong
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Great location, great hardware (e.g. room, bed, shower, etc.). But due to the low room rate, most guests are very low-class and are oblivious of the "non-smoking" sign and still smoke everywhere, even INSIDE the elevators. As a result, it smells like a chimney in all public area in this hotel. It's a shame that this could be a great hotel but the quality/ class of the guests made it a less-pleasant experience.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Biz_in_China
Elaine_Bao, Manager at Hotel Nikko Shanghai, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
Dear biz-in-china, thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. Your feedback is much appreciated as this helps us improve our overall service.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 6, 2011

My husband and I stayed there for 1 night just few days ago... While he received excellent service, the same could not be said about my experience.

It started right upon arrival... I was getting out of the cab carrying a laptop bag, a camera bag and paper carrier while my husband was paying the cabbie. I was surprised why there wasn't any doorman when I noticed that they were all behind the door inside the hotel. I thought to myself it made sense as it was cold outside and that they would come out in no time to help me. One of them did come out but it was only AT the moment my husband was getting out of the cab. The doorman then came fussing over my husband and helped him with our luggage...he even shook hands with my husband and greeted him warmly while totally ignoring me! After being told of by my husband and I that there were two of us to be acknowledged instead of him alone, he just gave me a feeble "ni hao". I speak Chinese but needless to say, I couldn't even be bothered with him anymore.

Next, the check-in was disorganised in the sense that there were guests standing around but you could never tell where the queue starts or ends. There should have been a better system. Check-in queue didn't move as fast as we'd like it to but that wasn't my main complaint. The problem was that the check-in lady again acknowledged only my husband! I was effectively invisible! Everything was "sir, sir, sir" even though I was right beside him and presented her with both our passports. In return, we got only 1 key card instead of 2...

Now back to the same doorman/bellboy. He brought our suitcases up to our room taking a separate lift. In the meantime I was rather pissed off with the service and confirmed with my husband that I wasn't being too sensitive and overreacting. We decided that the doorman just blew his tips. When he unloaded our stuff in the room, he still got the nerve to linger and pretend showing my husband the bathroom in hope of tips! I mean, didn't he get the message after being told of earlier?

This was basically my experience, marred right at the doorstep. However, like I mentioned, hardware wise, it was perfect.

And oh, in case my point isn't obvious enough, my husband is a Caucasian and I am an Asian.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kopi-O
Elaine_Bao, Manager at Hotel Nikko Shanghai, responded to this review, March 17, 2011
Dear kopi-o, thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. Your feedback is much appreciated as this helps us improve our overall service.

We were also pleased to read of your feedback regarding great hardware, thank you.
We sincerely appologize for the unhappiness you had experienced. The issue has been shared with management and we would try every effort to deliver more professional service.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the future.
Reviewed February 25, 2011

The room are great, spacious and modern. Unfortunatelly the service is far from being a 5 stars hotel.
Very few staff speak fluent English, so when you ask them something they look at you with a blank stare.
Also training is an issue: I have called to get breakfast in the morning and they tried to talk me out of it telling me that breakfast is included downstairs and that anyway it will take very long to deliver it.
They have a limited selection of room service, yet when I ordered chicken rice they said they don't have it. I asked if the mozzarella is buffalo as indicated in the menu, and guess what, it wasn't when it arrived. then asked for a salmon bagel and they delivered ham&cheese toast. In short, they have not a clue. The food is really mediocre, Starbucks type of, if you ever had a sandwitch in starbucks.
The hotel seems understaffed and definetly not a 5 stars service, more 3 stars chinese style. I guess they are not really willing to invest in an International crew.
Great Angsana spa though. Only bright point beside the rooms.

• Stayed February 2011
2 Thank lucadep
Elaine_Bao, Manager at Hotel Nikko Shanghai, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
Dear Lucadep, thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. Your feedback is much appreciated as this helps us improve our overall service and facilities.

We were also pleased to read of your feedback regarding spacious and modern guest rooms and awesome Angsana spa, thank you.

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 7, 2011

First time in Shanghai for leisure, stayed in this wonderful hotel. The hotel is brand new and feels luxurious. Beautiful facilities, with a great albeit smallish pool. Rooms are fantastic with soft comfortable beds, large 42 inch sony bravia flat screens (with a host of english and foreign language channels), ipod/phone dock, complimentary mineral water and a large fancy bathroom (tv screen fixed in the wall above the bath, Japanese style toilet and rain shower).

Service was attentive but not intrusive.

The hotel is about 15 minutes away from Hongqiao Airport, in the middel of Puxi, about 10 minutes from Yingan temple. About 7 minutes walk away from nearest metro station. Most nightlife is at most a 15 minute cab ride away.

Recommend a higher floor if you are taking the city view as there is a large express way close to that side, even though I assume the rooms are all soundproofed, the view would not be optimal. Did not notice any noise at all from the 16th floor.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank YoungDutchTraveler
Elaine_Bao, Manager at Hotel Nikko Shanghai, responded to this review, January 10, 2011
Dear YoungDutchTraveler,

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us at hotel nikko shanghai. We certainly pride ourselves on exceeding our guest’s expectations.

YoungDutchTraveler we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back and trusting your faith in hotel nikko shanghai.

Always Trusted, Always Ahead.
Albany, New York
Reviewed October 25, 2010

The stay at the Nikko was quite nice. Most impressive were the shower and bath facilities, which is many times hard to beat with a Japanese built Washlet in the house! Unforgettable if one is traveling from the USA for the first time. Suggest a high floor due to the road noise if you're staying on the Yan'an Road side of the building; however, the away side is acceptable on just about any floor in terms of noise.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CandelaRomano
ElaineBao, Manager at Hotel Nikko Shanghai, responded to this review, October 27, 2010
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. Your feedback is much appreciated as this helps us improve our overall service and facilities.

We were also pleased to read of your feedback regarding the comfort of our large guest rooms and awesome shower and bath facilities, value for money and overall service, thank you.