“Good DJs, strong drinks, what's not to like?”

Zapata's Mexican Cantina
Ranked #269 of 17,110 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Barbecue, Mexican, Pizza, Grill
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Former French Concession
Description: This Mexican cantina is the home of Shanghai's original ladies night every Wednesday. Attracting both foreigners and Chinese alike. With a large garden that shouts ice cold margaritas in summer. Enjoy early evening drinks from the Happy Hour menu with half priced appetizers or chill out over looking the garden from the upstairs Hacienda bar. Or if a party is more your style things start getting fun from 10pm with DJs spinning your favorite party tunes till late. With bar top dancing, free tequila shots every hour or enjoy a snack from our late night menu. Everyday is a party at Zapata's.
Reviewed June 9, 2012

My girlfriend and I came here for some drinks etc after hearing that this is the area in which to drink (if you're a Westerner) in Shanghai. It is a little difficult to find but I suggest walking through Sasha's which is around the corner and walking through their area to get to the entrance.

The place is dark and the DJs play western music (Michael Jackson, Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj etc). The drinks are pretty reasonable. We were here mid-week so perhaps it was a little quiet but even then there were quite a few people there given the small space.

It is worth stopping by and also we did not get charged entry which seems to be a real rarity in this part of town.

1  Thank eatgosee

Reviewed May 9, 2012

Been there a few times on my travels, standard place but they now have a new energy with a new manager I met Adam.
He's getting the place busy again as it was just a little low on service. He explained he is building anew team and it looks like it is working. I first went to this place when the Formula 1 was introduced to China and they had a foam party along with other promotions throughout the whole weekend.
Its gonna be great to see this place back on track and I will most certainly be back - good luck Adam.

Reviewed May 5, 2012

We went there last night, took a table outside, beginning was nice, good music etc.
Than we took a table, we had to ask sb to clean it after other people. Than the staff came back took ashtray and asked if can take the bottles of corona, my friend said no, she asked to times so she repeat no 2 times as well. Than staff took the beer and went away. After 5 mins we asked the girl and told her that the beer was NOT finnished. She broght back a bottle half full.. I dont know if from other table or bin I have no idea. So my friend said that she is not sure if it is hers so the staff replies "but I am sure" - what a rude staff. And od course she didn`t make up her mistake didn`t bring a new beer , no sorry, no nothing. When I was in a very underground cheap bar and a girl took my mojito she brought back a new one in 1 minute - this is service. Food was QUITE fine. Of course they forgot about few more that we ordered and finnally at 11 we were asked to pay bill... Why? Shall we go? - Becasue this time they close Open Bills. Service is ridiculous, value for money as well. Staff just frab your glassess and beers and don`t ask. I will never go there again this is 100% sure , for food and deals Cantina Agave is 100 times better.

1  Thank marta0h
Reviewed April 16, 2012

It's possible to dance on the dancefloor, good, danceable music, and since it's high under the rood, you don't feel like swimming in an ashtray. We even got a place to sit:)

Reviewed March 19, 2012

Zapata's is a nice place from Happy Hour thru end of night.
They have a good menu with several options of snacks and food that can be a good start for a after hours party with friends.
After 22h the club starts to be full of all kind of people, most foreigners and it go thru all night.
And if you are lonely this a place full of escorts that offers their services and it's up to you to accept it.

1  Thank LNS82