Wyndham Bund East Shanghai
$113
$155
$107
  • Restaurant
The Kunlun Jing An(Shanghai)
$130
$110
$301
$220
  • Pool
All reviewstour groupgood sized bathroombreakfast buffetshower and toiletnice hotelstayed here for two nightsthe air conditioninglimited englishhigh risehuangpu riverhotel entrancespacious roomnexustvchinabundlobby
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I've been to Shanghai many times and chose this hotel for a conference I was attending. Even though it is technically a western brand the experience was anything but. I think I was the only westerner in the hotel the first two days.

The staff are friendly and some are attentive but language WILL be a problem for those who don't know how to get around in this part of the world.

The location is also remote in the sense there is really nothing immediately in the area for shopping or dining......you really need to expect to eat here unless you want a taxi somewhere else.

There are two dining place. For dinner one is Buffett style...expensive for the quality and selection. The other is a well appointed Chinese restaurant where no one spoke English, and was mind numbingly expensive.

The hotel was clean and comfortable and the rates were a bit better than many, but that was quickly eaten up in taxi and meal charges.

For a Wyndham I was disappointed and doubt I stay here again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank Oswegosailor
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We found this hotel to be all that it claims. Our view was great and the room was superb.
Breakfast was quite good and included good pastries and breads. The position was also quite central and easy to get to the Bund.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CamdenTravellers
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We were on the 10th floor and we did not have the view many praise, however, there was nothing the matter what we could see. Typical city. We did not get street noise, nor could we hear anyone else on the floor. The room was excellent. Wifi in the lobby.
Breakfast buffet could have been replenished regularly but there was a good selection if you didn't wait till late.
The ladies working in the lounge had no English and were not attentive. The front desk was efficient and helpful. The gift shop had very helpful staff and very competitive prices; good place for last minute gifts.
The location may scare you off but taxis are metered and inexpensive. We had no problems going to the Bund area alone.

Room Tip: The 10th floor did not have us looking into concrete.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lise1928
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We got a corner room and it was huge! Had a tv at the end of the bathtub! Huge bathroom and bedroom also. The only downside is that the fridge did not work and they did nothing to try to fix it. The gym was great but nothing to wipe down the machinery. The pool was great also, but bring your own bathing cap, for guys and girls, it only cost $6 canadian though. The food was pretty good too. The door men were awesome in getting cabs and showing us where on the map we wanted to go. The bed was king size and comfortable and quiet in the rooms.

Room Tip: Corner room was huge, I heard all the rooms were pretty great.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank janinereal
Reviewed February 8, 2014

The Wyndham Bund East Shanghai, is very misrepresented. This hotel is not an international level hotel at all. I stayed in an A suite (Executive floor suite). The stay was full of disappointments. I stayed in the hotel during the New Year celebrations, as this is a tourist time, I expected that the hotel would be ready to serve, but no, not at all.

1. I requested for airport pick-up service, however I was told that due to New Year, the driver(s) were not available. For this inconvenience they upgraded me from a Superior room to an Executive Room. Which I thought was a good thing to do. However, when the executive club turns out to be essentially closed, what benefit is there in this.

2. When I arrived at the hotel, via taxi, as it is nowhere near any metro station (2km away), and got to my room, I found that the room was 26 degrees! In February. It was impossible to cool the room, turning on the A/C only warmed the room further. I was told that the A/C had been turned off as it was cold. Strange then that the hotel rooms were so warm, and the public areas cold (you need a coat in the public areas). I advised they the management team contact the owners and allow guests to control the temperature of their rooms (not a big ask for a 5 star hotel), however this never done. I complained about the temperature, and 2 hours later (Around midnight) the hotel found me a room I could sleep in, this was a lower grade room.

3. Room service food was late and arrived cold the first time. The hotel had the correct hot box trolley to keep food warm, but just did not use it. The Chinese restaurant has a long wine list, however there were only 2 wines available, and these were domestic wines, no International wines were available.

4. There are not 4 dining rooms as advertised, but 2.5, as the lobby lounge (Truffles) does not offer snacks. The Lohas Tasty House does not exist. Cafe UNO is not a comfortable place to be.

5. The executive lounge does not serve breakfast as advertised, or happy hour, or any food or drink, so why have it?

6. Remembering that this hotel is an international brand hotel, the staff do not understand English well, the operator has great difficulty understanding, and you tend to give up.

7. As mentioned above, this hotel is not near any public transport, nor is it actually on the Bund. To get to the Bund, it either a 6km taxi ride, or 2 metro trains. The closest metro station is 1.8km North of the hotel. The hotel is surrounded by low class housing and industry. Why is it here?

8. The carpet in my room was not vacuumed once during my stay. I can say this with surety, as I monitored a sunflower seed casing on the floor. It was there all the time. The housekeepers do have a hoover, I have seen it. I purchased a mug to drink my coffee from, as the provided cup was very small, and they only give you two packets of coffee. This mug was not once cleaned by housekeeping, nor was their spoon I used.

9. Considering I was staying in a premium room, the towels that were in the room were of a low quality. I mentioned this to the housekeeper and was given better towels. So I ask, if they are available, then why were they not in the room to begin with!

This hotel is not set-up for the international traveller, nor is it a good reflection of the hotel brand. It is a Chinese hotel, not an American hotel in China. Everything is done as cheaply as possible, the lowest level service they can get away with. When you complain the staff want to help and try and resolve, but you should not have to resort to complaining!

I only stayed in the hotel as I had pre-paid for the room on a hotel booking website, otherwise I would have moved hotel the next day.

Room Tip: You cannot see the river from this hotel, though rooms on the South side do get a good view of the bridge.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo