“Mixed experience”

Wyndham Bund East Shanghai
Ranked #131 of 5,222 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed November 27, 2013

The first room we were given was so smoky we had to move. Second room only marginally better notwithstanding we were on the non-smoking floor. Our room was small and had a view of the freeway (although sound proofing was excellent). Others in our party had large corner rooms. Hard to believe we were in the same hotel.

Wifi sketchy and overpriced in room; free in lobby Breakfast was good; bar comfortable with good selection.

Location not good for site seeing in Shanghai although very interesting walking around in the neighbourhood.

Room Tip: Ask to smell the room first!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 988ontheroad

Reviewed November 25, 2013

- Wyndham Grand was a beautiful resort. Unfortunately the second you step outside the hotel, you are completely humbled. Outside the windows in the restaurant are some slums. My mother and I took a walk around the property and there is feces on the sidewalk and grass… large … human feces.
- Wifi only available in the lobby.
- Breakfast was typical quality, nothing notable.
- Beds at Wyndham were very comfortable (like Lijingwan in Beijing) but the washrooms were much better. I would say that it was the best out of all the hotels we stayed at during our trip. However, it was not in a convenient location (attractions are very far away). Window exteriors needed cleaning. Even on the 12th floor, we were level with the highway, so it was incredibly noisy.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lunahex
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed here in October with a group of family, while all of the rooms our group had were spacious ours was exceptional - a corner suite with a foyer, everything in the room was clean, bed comfy, views not worth mentioning - but best room service we experienced in China.
I would definitely recommend this hotel, great value for money with a few luxurious appointments, just beware of the Chinese restaurant on the property, we found the food very poor and very expensive, likewise the coffee shop area was expensive and I'm not quite sure the staff know how to make a latte, though they gave it a good try, save your money for starbucks, then again the buffet breakfast was quite good. Also take a wander outside, we found markets a couple of blocks away selling all sorts of clothing, scarves etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room and enjoy!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Of the 11 hotels that were all considered 4 and 5 star this one was the best we stayed at during our tour of China in October 2013.. It had a very large room equipped with both king and double beds. Plenty of storage and counter areas along with a desk. The bathroom was huge with a separate tub and shower. The tub even had a flat screen on the wall for viewing. Everything was very clean and no mold was seen anywhere in the bathroom or shower which I consider rare in China. The room has a separate entry hall and foyer where the closets are located (see the attached photos). The window shades open automatically during when you enter the room and also can be operated electrically using a hand held remote. I thought the hotel mistakenly gave us a Jr suite type room but talking with other tour members all their room were similar. The breakfast buffet was excellent with lots of choices both Western and Asian. Typical of Chinese hotels, one side will have nice views and the other can look out to what appears to be a slum area. Their zoning appears lax to say the least. The lobby and front desk area were also very large and elegant. We only stayed one night so we weren't able to use the hotel's other amenities nor did we wander around outside other than to board the tour bus. But from what we saw during our short one night stay is that I would highly recommend this hotel. If we ever return to Shanghai, this is where we would stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed at this hotel at the beginning and at the end of our 28 days tour in China. There are some improvements required in order to receive a 5-star ranking. Water from the shower leaked through gaps because the door could not close perfectly and also the door striping was missing. Apparently this is a common problem for all the 16 hotels that we stayed during this tour. We had to build a towel bank so that the corridor flooring would not get damaged. We found stains on the floor around the bottom of the toilet bowl - a little more scrubbing will do the trick. Also there were holes (~1" openings) in the bath towel. I understand they need to save money in order to stay in this competitive business, but a 5-star hotel would never provide towels with holes!!! It is totally unacceptable. I think it's cool that the curtains/blinds opened (by sensor) as soon as you entered the room and they .can be closed with the help of a remote control.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Joseph20131008
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Staying at this hotel for the first time and this is our first visit to China. Even though this place is not in the rich area the hotel itself leaves nothing to complain about. Our tour bus dropped us at the rear of the hotel and I looked at my wife in disgust. They said out was a five star this is not even a one star. But once in and at the reception everything changed. Huge foyer and entrance and the front desk spoke good English. Once in the room WOW, mind blowing. The room itself was big, with every amenity thought off. Then we went to the washroom, the entrance was through a double doors, the bath tub was big a TV in front for a truly relaxing bath, the toilet and shower were enclosed for privacy with a glass door. This place oozes class. We are world travelers and I can confidently say this is the BEST ROOM we have ever stayed in. May I say more. If you have questions email me and I will beer more than happy to respond. If I come to Shanghai again I will only stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013
4  Thank Jpart
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Firstly, the rooms are AMAZING. Just gorgeous. They are very spacious, well presented, clean and comfortable. The bed was HUGE and I had a good night sleep, as it seems to be the norm in asia though its on the firmer side. My only negative experience was that the pool requires you to wear a swim cap to use it. Who brings a swimming cap on holidays? Its a hotel swimming pool in an expensive hotel for goodness sake not an olympic pool, I found this very strange and it ruined my plans of relaxing in the pool.The breakfast was plentiful and I had room service which was pretty tasty. I asked for a later checkout on the last day and they let me check out at 1pm, no charge which was fantastic. Overall I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple