“Lousy management almost made this stay a disaster”

Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Central
Ranked #17 of 5,111 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I'm very disappointed. Actually this is my first time in Courtyard hotel, and after this horrible stay, I highly doubt if I would stay once more in any Courtyard around the world.

When I checked in, everything seemed nice. Someone would get you a cup of hot tea at the front desk, and then take you to the elevator. The room is very spacious and almost clean, and it's not noisy at all since the hotel is not located at the busiest block in town.

However, at the second day, everything went wrong. First my door key didn't work. I had to reactivate it. If someone had told me earlier, I wouldn't have to go up and down to the 25th floor twice. Then the scale didn't have batteries in it. The housekeeping lady could not speak fluent Mandarin. This is not a very cheap Motel 168, so I assumed she could be more polite. This was not the issue though. When I wanted to shower at around 11:30 pm, I found out that someone had obviously set my shower. Maybe this was my fault because I was just too stupid to figure out how to use it myself. I could not understand the instruction by the lady at front desk on the phone either. Why don't they just put a sign at the shower to avoid questions from an uneducated guest like me? And if they do have only one repairman at night, which is totally understandable, why don't they explain at the first time that I have to wait for a little bit longer? I had to pretend I was furious so that I could know why.

The place you put your shower gel has super wide slots. Everything you place in there will fall on the floor. So notice that. There's no good place for breakfast around the hotel. I didn't try the restaurant on the second floor because people say it's bad on Tripadvisor. So buy some bread and milk at Lawson next door.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
SilviaXu, Public Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Central, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Greetings from the Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Puxi!

We appreciate your feedback on this website during your stay with us. At Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Puxi, we take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectation on some parts and for this we extend our apology. Please feel free to contact with me if you have anything would like to share to hotel managment. We valued your comments and hotel are committed to providing you with the highest level of servcie.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Central

Reviewed January 8, 2013

The hotel is new and in a quiet location (as compared to locations such as the walking street or People Sq), hence you will not stumble into hundreds of people when you come out of the hotel. Room is quite big as compared to other Shanghai hotel. There is a metro stop line 1 Hanzhong, which is less than 5 minutes walk from the hotel and it is 2 station from the Poeple Square so it will take less than 10 minutes to get there. There is not much eateries around the hotel, I found a Wagas, Starbuck, KFC and McDonald within 10 minutes walking distance. The costs of taxi to Pudong airport is approx 200RMB from the hotel.

Internet in the hotel is free if you are a member of the Marriott reward hence I suggest join Marriott reward. The breakfast is much better compared to the one I had in Radisson Blu New World. The only down side is that if you are not using the metro, it will costs more travelling to various sights seeing locations in town using the taxi as compared to staying in somewhere more central. If you are using the hotel as a base to sleep it is OK however the location is not convenient if you are one of those that like to have a siesta in the middle of the day between sights seeing or like to go back to freshen up before dinner.

Room Tip: High floor or not facing the front street
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
SilviaXu, Public Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Central, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Greetings from the Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Puxi!

Thank you for your feedback on your visits to the Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Puxi!

We are delighted to read of your positive comments on our facilities、food and location and we are so happy that you have had a great stay with us.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is a new hotel in Puxi area of Shanghai just a short walk to the railway and metro station and nearby key sights of Shanghai.

The hotel is lovely with comfortable rooms and is very clean. The breakfast buffet is extensive and with high quality food. Very impressive.

Service at the restaurant was very good and service from front of house staff was good although could be more professional.

Wifi available for free for Marriott Rewards members, otherwise you pay a fee.

Will stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
SilviaXu, Public Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Central, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Book few nights here , nice exterior and clean room. Very spacious room and come with nice working table .
Was offer package to upgrade for free breakfast and free entry to exec lounger.
Breakfast consider overage when compare to courtyard wulin.

Was SUPER let down by the arrogant concierge staff where we were asking about the exec lounge and what is available in the lounge. Being treated with rudeness where the staff show impatient towards our question and didnt even bother to look at our face when answering the query reluctantly.

This is a super intolerable attitude in a classy hotel by marriott.

Stayed in courtyard wulin before courtyard puxi , the staff are soo much better and friendly and willing to help .

Seriously think the management should look into this matter. Concierge should be the first impression towards the client. If this simple thing cant be manage properly it will just spoilt the name of 'by marriott'.

Otherwise , consider good hotel with good location , nt too far away from the metro and just 2 stops away from people square.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Greetings from the Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Puxi!

We appreciate your feedback on this website pertaining to your positive feedback on facilities during your stay with us. At Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Puxi, we take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectation on some parts and for this we extend our apology. Please feel free to contact with me if you have anything would like to share to hotel managment. We valued your comments and hotel are committed to providing you with the highest level of servcie.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

The hotel is about 3 mins walk from metro station, it is quite convenient. The staffs are helpful and efficient. The room is nicely renovated, big & clean and so is the toilet. I love the shower. The room is kept nice and warm every time I come back. I also love the breakfast, delicious and a lot to choose from. I could not have asked for more.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from the Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Puxi. I hope that you have enjoyed a pleasant journey onwards from our property and that this message finds you well!

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us regarding what you enjoyed during your stay.We look forward to your return!

With kind regards,

Reviewed December 24, 2012

Actually I've been in this hotel for 3times and each time 4nights.
This hotel I can say is one of the best 5star hotels in Shanghai and the accommodation is full.
About the rooms, They are clean and very big so even a family with one child can stay in one room. The rooms have all the facilities you may need inside, included the Minibar(surcharge), tea and coffee maker, complimentary tea bags and coffee and 2 bottles of water.
There is a very nice bath which connected to the room with a glass wall and you can use the electrical curtain to Cover the glass wall!
The view from the upper floors is nice.
The hotel pool and sauna is very nice and clean and is free for the guests. I strongly recommend it.
There are very nice staff in every corner of the hotel and they are really helpful.
The breakfast is very complete. There are different kinds of bread and cakes, jams, international and Asian food, different kinds of fruits and juices and so on that makes you full up to the evening!!!
The only problem is that the Internet is free only in the lobby and for rooms you have to pay. I don't know why this 5star hotel is like this but this is their policy. If you need computers there are some of them in the lobby that you can use them 24Hours.
About the Location, I can say that its not very near to the city center (where the Pearl TV tower is located) but the rail station and bus stations are all around the hotel and the taxis is not very expensive to take. You can ask the hotel staff to call for the taxis and the price is not very expensive. I myself normally use Taxis than other transportation in Shanghai.
Don't forget there are different Marriott Hotels in Shanghai, and this one is Courtyard by Marriott PUXI !!!

Room Tip: Tray to book the rooms in Upper floors, from 21st floor up! the view is nicer.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
SilviaXu, Public Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Central, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Reviewed December 16, 2012

My husband and i were here 3 nigths, The hotel was very nice, the location great, the staff very helpful, the restaurant good (only have one and the buffett was the same every day) but do you have other restaurants around so you can go out and eat sometime different..

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JFA8986
SilviaXu, Public Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Central, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us regarding what you enjoyed during your stay. I do appreciate for your compliment comments on our room、 location and restaurent as well as staff service. In fact, our location is also good,only minutes walking to Shanghai Railway Station and metro line 1, 3 &4. A number of city attractions are with easy access, only 10 minutes to Nanjing Road West, Jing An Temple and People Square. 30 minutes from Hongqiao International Airport and 60 minutes to Pudong International Airport.

We look forward to your return! Until then, please feel free to contact us with any further questions, comments or concerns!

With kind regards,