“excellent hotel....”

Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Central
Ranked #19 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Rooms were impeccable. Clean. Beds were hard. Chinese government restricts hotels from turning AC on during our stay in April, therefore were HOT! Bathroom was nice but really has a stupid glass wall into the main part of the room. Food was exceptional.

Room Tip: stay in an upper floor room
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Just came back from a 3 nights stay at Courtyard Puxi for the F1 weekend.

Party of 4 arrived at 3am to check-in but front desk managed to messed up on the wrong rate & couldn't allocate the room type as guaranteed on the confirmation email.

Room however, is good and well maintained. It is clean and the rate we had was very reasonable. Location-wise, it is about 15 minutes on a cab to most tourist location.

Would have given the property 4-stars if not for messing up check-in.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank xhrstphr
LilyJiangSan, Public Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Central, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

We sincerely apologize for the experience during the stay at our hotel. We appreciate your complaint about the service, and we will arrange more training to help our staff increase service conscious and service skills.

Courtyard by Marriott Shanghai Puxi is centrally located in the city center within walking distance to Shanghai Railway Station and Metro line 1, 3 & 4. A number of city attractions are within easy access with only 10 minutes to Nanjing Road West, Jing An Temple and People’s Square.

At last, we are so appreciate you choose our hotel and took the time to submit valuable advice to us, we attach weight to every customers' comments and improve ourself consistantly.

Reviewed April 15, 2012

It is 11:30 PM. After having had a tiring day (tour type excursions traversing all over Shanghai), I went to take a shower. The overall layout of the room is clean, ambient colors and decor. The bathroom is spacious, but the toilet constantly reeks of weird poop smell (maybe just my specific room, maybe recycled water doesn't smell so good). Anyhow, the toilet did not bother me too much. What sparked this mediocre review of a hotel that COULD deserve higher ratings is that the shower leaks like no other. At first glance, it is a fine glass enclosed shower. There is nothing out of ordinary, everything clean/polished looking. Scene after shower: towel mat soaked, water puddles leading into the hallway and soaking the bottom of my roommates suitcase. Reminder, it is 11:30 PM when I am exhausted. This may seem minor, but the design flaw of having a 5 cm crack at the bottom of the shower door has caused me to be miserable and even more tired having had to mop up the trails with all the towels and a bath robe.

It is the small things that build up. This plus the sassy service in the executive lounge plus mediocre breakfast food (not consistently good, I ate a delicious breakfast yesterday, gross leftovers -maybe- today). Mediocrity here.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I stayed here between 6 - 9 April 2012 and this property is super excellent value for money, that is if you can get hold of their 50% off promotion for their suite room which I believe they have it from time to time. Needless to say I booked this offer and was more than delighted I chose this hotel for my first stop in Shanghai (see my other reviews where I also stayed in Waldorf Astoria and Marriott City Centre during my entire Shanghai trip).

You should be aware by now that this hotel is not in city centre, and by that I mean the Nanjing Pedestrain walking street. This hotel is just beside the Shanghai Railway Station which makes it a good base if you wanna make a day trip to Suzhou or Hangzhou. The hotel is also within 3 mins walking distance to nearby train station where you can reach the People's Square in direct 2 stops using line 1. I took a taxi from the hotel to Pudong Oriental Pearl Tower and it cost $25 RMB so I believe if you go to People's Square it's much lesser.

This hotel is still very new and eveything looks clean and especially my room it feels like not many people has stayed in before. I had the suite which is beautifully appointed and you can easily feel like being in a high end luxury 5 star hotel. My suite comes with the Club Lounge access which is a nice haven to be in to relax, have your breakfast and evening cocktails and snacks. During my stay there aren't many people using the lounge (less than 10 people each time) so it is very nice and quiet. The breakfast provided is by no means sumptuous, to put it frankly it is slightly below the standard for a hotel of this calibre. The evening cocktails is abit more interesting, with few choices of beers, white and red wine and other non-alcoholic drinks served with some chinese style hot foods (dim sim) as well as western finger foods. Remember when I say 'more interesting' I am referring to what I would expect from a hotel of this calibre, I am certainly not comparing it with Ritz Carlton or Mandarin Oriental.

One thing to point out is for some odd reason the staffs seem to have a knack for remembering all other Caucausian faces and greeting them by names when they visited the lounge, but I was being asked for my room number each time I visit. Ironically I am the only Chinese face in the lounge in a Chinese country. What happen to that phrase 'all Caucasians look the same to Chinese" but yet no one can remember me?

Another issue I had is their inconsistent breakfast time. In the room information booklet it clearly stated that breakfast is till 11 am EVERYDAY but when I arrived on a Monday morning for breakfast at 10:30 am, I was told in weekdays the breakfast closes at 10:30 am and I had missed my breakfast. I showed them the infor printed on the room booklet and they did feel apologetic about it, and offered me to have some juice and bread but I declined. I mean I WANT sausages, bacon, eggs, dim sim and hot foods, not just breads, not to mention I am allergic to wheat!

I have emailed this issue to Marriott and I am interested to find out how are they going to handle this glitch. I am still giving this hotel rating 5 star based purely on the value for money and that all staffs are genuinely nice and enthusiastic. This hotel has got all the hardware right but as for the software, I shall see how are they going to handle my 'breakfast feedback' and this is also a good chance to test out the theroy 'you get what you paid for'.

Room Tip: Grab their 50% off promotion for suite room!!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 10, 2012

This hotel is very new and modern with good facilities, including an indoor pool and gym.
The rooms are good, clean and well equiped, but the bathroom is separated with the room by a plain glass wall.
Breakfast is good with an extensive choice of food and also lunch is buffet style.
The bar offers a good variety of drinks and food at excellent service.
All staff are very friendly and helpful.
The hotel is situated quite far from the city centre and the Bund (not really walking distance), but taxi's are very cheap.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 6, 2012

The price for the hotel was very good. Our company had a negotiated rate that included breakfast in a regular room, which is nice. I was expecting free breakfast everywhere i go, but around here it can be a luxury.

The wifi was not normally included with the room. All you need to do is register to be a member with their rewards program. Its very easy to sign up but I had to go down from my room to sign up. All i did was write down my email address to sign up. I dont understand why i couldn't do it over the phone. Also, they did not change my information on my room until i called about it and asked for the free internet that comes with the membership. This hassle is the reason why i deducted one star from their rating. On a long business trip, you do not want to worry about these kind of things.

Also, the service is not as good as the neighboring Intercontinental, which is more expensive.

On the other hand, the internet here is fantastic! It is so much faster than the other hotels i have stayed at in Shanghai and Changzhou, and also at our offices around China. I did not use the wifi, only the wired connection, but i would assume the wifi is just as quick.

The breakfast was pretty standard. Eggs and omelet station, pastries, noodle bar, fruit, coffee and juices. It was weird that they had us sign a bill for breakfast, even though it was included in our room rate via corporate contract. I guess they remove the charge afterwards.

The elevators was very slow during my stay. I believe it was because the neighboring Intercontinental was closed for the rest of the week, so the Marriott was packed. There seemed to be one or two large meetings taking place at the hotel. Since i stayed in early April, i was used to the hotel being very empty and quiet.

Room Tip: Rooms that are not facing the main street overlooks a large empty plot and some old homes behind the...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 28, 2012

This is an excellent hotel. Close to everything, new and nice design, clean, wonderful staff, great breakfast and very good room rates. I paid 100 USD for a suite (special rate), same price as for a room. The trainstation is very close, the subways is outside and you can actually walk to Peoples Square and the market on Nanjing Road. For a nice dinner, try the evening buffe at Hotel Intercontinental (very close, takes 5 minutes to walk).

Room Tip: All rooms are probably nice, the higher - the nicer view.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business