“Very Good Hotel”

Ranked #101 of 5,069 Hotels in Shanghai
Saipan, Mariana Islands
“Very Good Hotel”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This hotel is classified as a 5-star hotel. I wouldn't go that far, but it is at least a 4 or 4.5 star,
I had an executive room on the 16th floor that was a 5-star room, especially the bathroom. The bed was very soft and I had a great sleep. The buffet for dinner was very average and the breakfast buffet was probably slightly below average. Not a lot to do around the hotel area, but their is a decent shopping center right behind the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose an executive room on the upper levels. My room faced the street, but absolutely no noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I write this as one who had never been to China before, I didn't know what to expect. I stayed as I arrived at the airport Ramada. A US Ramada is basically a motel; the Pudong Ramada is far nicer, more like a good Marriott. On the way home I stayed between flights at the Qube, which is nicer still: what I'd rate as a high-end 4-star in the US, like one of the better Hyatts. Great bar and two fine restaurants.

The only note: you need to take a taxi, which cost me about 60 yuan. (Don't pay attention to the guys at the desks in the terminal who are shouting at you. One offered a "special deal" of 300 yuan.) The hotel said that it will offer a shuttle if you book it by phone in advance; fine, but who knows, really, when his flight will arrive and he'll be out with his bags? So, plan on a cab. But print out a map ... I can't speak Chinese and the cabby didn't have a word of English. He called the hotel (I had the number) and took me to within a block or so of the Qube and then seemed lost ... I spotted it, and it seemed to be a new one on him.

When I arrived there was a little weirdness: they couldn't check me in due to some grumpiness in the computer system. They bought me a beer and I sat in the bar for 45 minutes. No big deal, and hey, this sort of thing can happen anywhere.

To be honest, I might end up choosing the Ramada next time because it's easier to get to; but although the Ramada is very good, the Qube is a palace. On the other hand, if I was here with my wife I might go to the Qube: At the Ramada you are basically just there. At the Qube you can get out and walk around and get some small feel of a China. (But you aren't downtown.) There's a McDonalds next door, for those who don't like to leave home even when away.

Some China advice from a complete newbie: I was worried about three things coming to China, the money, the airports and the water. As regards the first, I changed money at JFK, and that turned out to be enough. But my Chinese friends have told me that Chinese ATMs are temperamental about which US ATM cards they work with ... investigate this on the web before you come. As regards the airport, the two Chinese airports I've seen (Pudong and Xianyang) are probably better than ours in the US, at least that's my impression: very efficient, clean and kind of fun to be at. As regards the water: not even the Chinese drink their water. All hotels seem to give you two bottles per day, and buying more is easy.

One thing I didn't worry about and should have: I use gmail, and you may have heard that China censors google. Well, they do: My gmail was awful to use, it wouldn't do anything for 5 minute intervals and then would flush everything through for 30 seconds; then another 5 minutes of cobwebs. Next time I'll get a temporary 163.com or yahoo account or something. And dropbox doesn't work at all in China, that was a pain for me.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank calvino
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I have stayed one night in this hotel for my business needs. It is very near of Pudong airport and quite convenient. There are good breakfast in the morning. Stuff is friendly and room is clean and good looking.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank IgorUBelousov
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2013

If you have to stay in Shanghai for a short time then this hotel is highly recommended by us. We stayed there for two nights taking advantage of the shuttle service from Pudong airport. It all worked really well. The hotel is near a small shopping area and the metro station. The mc Donalds restaurant and others are just a step away from the the hotel. For the price the hotel exceeded our expectations with a large air-conditioned room and a scrumptious breakfast.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy56_13
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2013

This is a great hotel if you want to stay one night close to the Pudong Airport. The room is very clean, bed comfortable. The bathroom has new amenities. They have a rain shower and a separate bath tub. Shuttle service is provided hourly to the airport free of charge. The breakfast buffet has plenty of choices. Most staff speak some level of English. I would definitely stay there again and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kimberly Z
Xi'an, China
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The room was much nicer than expected. The airport shuttle was a real bonus with my late arriving flight. The breakfast was good with a mix of western and chinese available.

If your a non-smoker, it was great without a hint.

The only slight negative is the location relative to the city but there is a metro stop a couple of hundred feet away.

Room Tip: Call or email ahead to get the airport shuttle. Watch out for those "taxi" drivers that te...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This hotel delivers exactly what you would expect from a business hotel. Rooms are of a good standard, service is good, location - close to the metro is also a positive. Thanks Qube for a nice stay and I look forward to returning.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business